Author Topic: BSG Online announced - could this be a problem?  (Read 31410 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: BSG Online announced - could this be a problem?
!!!NEWS!!!

I herby officially declare this game to be garbage.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ces-11-battlestar-galactica/709089
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Damn, how can you come up with a vid like that an expect to have sales afterwards is beyond my understanding.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Shade

Some people like that sort of thing. Actual sim-like combat the way FreeSpace does it isn't for everyone. Besides, it's a good thing - If the combat was the kind we'd like, they might see Diaspora as a competitor :p I don't know about you all, but I prefer it this way. On a related note, credit where it's due: That game is looking a lot better now than it did on early screenshots.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:19:48 am by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
the trailer looks nice. They have cool graphics.
What irks me, is the MMO part. I just don't like that sort of game, though i have to admit that a BSG themed game has a small chance to caught enough attention from me to actually get played.

And i can't believe i just said that.

Offline newman

I'm pretty sure BGO's gameplay style isn't aimed at die hard space sim fans. The flight model looks more like simplified Freelancer model than anything fs2 related. So, what Shade said - this way we're in the clear and people who like that sort of thing get their fix, too. Don't see the problem here. What I would suggest is that holding off on the final judgment before it's out would probably be best. Especially in light of the game being f2p, therefore it won't cost you a dime to try it out.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:56:18 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Wasn't BSG Online supposed to have a customizable gameplay model? Judging by this article, the combat can be customized to something like the FS2/WC gameplay model.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Snagger

That looks to me like a game made to played on a console or portable player like a PSP or smart phone, not a PC based "sim".  I don't think it's in the same "market" as Diaspora or other FS2 based sims.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Blanking to keep the C&D monsters away. Yes I was in the wrong, no I'm not deleting the posts to cover that up.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:37:20 pm by Unknown Target »

Offline newman

Since the subtle approach of "let's not trash it before it's out" didn't work..
Seriously, is it so hard to grasp that publicly trashing a game whose makers have the power to shut us down isn't the brightest idea? Not saying they'd actually do that but honestly.. if you can't control yourself go do it somewhere else. Preferably without the Diaspora badge, grayed out as it may be.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:57:11 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Blanking to keep the C&D monsters away. Yes I was in the wrong, no I'm not deleting the posts to cover that up.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:37:24 pm by Unknown Target »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Since the subtle approach of "let's not trash it before it's out" didn't work..
Seriously, is it so hard to grasp that publicly trashing a game whose makers have the power to shut us down isn't the brightest idea? Not saying they'd actually do that but honestly.. if you can't control yourself go do it somewhere else. Preferably without the Diaspora badge, grayed out as it may be.

Yes, censorship is clearly going to be effective in defending you from the evil corporate world because they give so much of a **** about what you think.

I think at this point it's quite clear if they gave a damn about what anyone here thought they wouldn't be making BSG Online the way it is.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline newman

I'm not talking about censorship. I'm talking about polite restraint. There's a difference.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm not talking about censorship. I'm talking about polite restraint. There's a difference.

ahahaha

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
As others have already stated, keep in mind the game is free to play. No one is forced to pay a single cent for it.

I light of newman's cautionary note, I would agree with him.  Every game has it's audience.  Just because you don't like the concept does not make it inferior.

I like driving a clutch.  But automatics have their uses as well.  Granted you have less control over the vehicle, but in the area I live (one of the worst traffic areas in the country), having an automatic is much better than a clutch .  Does it make either inferior?  Not hardly.  It is a preference.

If you want to post your opinion to the makers of BGO, why don't you send them an email directly.  But leave mention of this project out of it entirely.  The less attention drawn to this product by the powers that be the better.

I like this thread in general.  However should the bashing continue I would suggest locking it.  If only to protect this project.

Offline Shade

Not going to lock a perfectly good thread over something this trivial. We're not threatened, just being a bit careful. And if I had a real problem with any particular post (which I don't), I'd have hashed it out with the poster in PMs. So... keep discussing :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

IMHO I can't see what all of the fuss is about. I'm just going to patiently wait to enjoy diaspora.
I enjoy the work & the people here. Diaspora would be the custom chopper compared to a mass produced jap bike in my opinion.
The two games aren't comparable in any way. I couldn't even fathom any purpose in making a comparison.
Keep up the great work folks =)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Seems like this gonna trump the Star Wars MMO... but that always seemed kinda lame.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Haha, the centurion has the same run animation as the pilot.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.