Author Topic: BSG:Blood and Chrome concept art  (Read 27428 times)

Re: BSG:Blood and Chrome concept art
This is the only acceptable Cylon evolution:
Agreed.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
They're not re-imagined considering they look exactly the same as the TOS Cylons, same as the old Hades-class battlestar and the old flying wing cylon raider.
No, they don't look exactly the same. I don't mind new stuff, as long it predates the stuff we've seen in Razor ( remember it was the end of the War!)
and doesn't introduce ridiculous designs.

yes they do, or at least, very closely.

the only design I really liked that much from Razor was the Guardian baseship

EDIT: This pic is a whole lot better
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:19:19 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline newman

Hades, each "old" design in BSG was reimagined. They looked similar in essence but they were more of a homage to the old designs then a direct copy - if you started to take a close look at the details, you'd see they're not as similar as you think. You can see it clearly even on the pictures you linked, on the centurions; yes they're similar but definitely not identical. The old raider that appeared in razor looks significantly better than the old designs. Mark 1 shuttle has subtler differences but overall it was somewhat sleeker, and had subtle greeble differences. The only ship I'm not sure about is the tos baseship, because we never saw the CGI one in great detail - but I imagine they probably changed some things there as well. There were no direct copies of old designs used, but I do like staying faithful to the old designs in principle while improving them a bit here and there better than just replacing them with brand new stuff.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Hades, each "old" design in BSG was reimagined. They looked similar in essence but they were more of a homage to the old designs then a direct copy - if you started to take a close look at the details, you'd see they're not as similar as you think. You can see it clearly even on the pictures you linked, on the centurions; yes they're similar but definitely not identical. The old raider that appeared in razor looks significantly better than the old designs. Mark 1 shuttle has subtler differences but overall it was somewhat sleeker, and had subtle greeble differences. The only ship I'm not sure about is the tos baseship, because we never saw the CGI one in great detail - but I imagine they probably changed some things there as well. There were no direct copies of old designs used, but I do like staying faithful to the old designs in principle while improving them a bit here and there better than just replacing them with brand new stuff.

this.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, I really didn't like those reimagined designs, they should just ditch them and do something new. They looked very...old.

Those models are the 005s.The only difference between them and the tos centurions is they look more robotic rather then just being a guy in a suit. Also remember that the prototypes are the U87. So that means in between the U87 and 005 there were 4 other models. That fully rendered 3d cylon model in the concept art is probably one of those missing models.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'm not big on the classic centurions, they've always looked kinda goofy to me. We know the Cylons were working on skinjobs even before the 5 arrived, they just never quite got things right - I'm cool with some semiskinjob stuff.

The Colonials got caught with their pants down because the Toasters created exact human replicas and infiltrated their infrastructure, something completely unexpected.  If BloodChrome reveals that they were merely a hop skip and a jump away from humanoid Cylons back in 1CW and the Colonials knew it then it makes the Colonies pants on head moronic for allowing it to happen in the lead up to BSG.  If infiltration was a Toaster Tactic in 1CW then it breaks BSG's plot for me.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline newman

"The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy, but these are new. They look human... sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot" :D

Seriously though I could buy a robot that has synthetic skin over it. But fully organic humanoid cylons shouldn't appear before the events depicted in the bsg mini. The colonials need to be in complete dark about the Cylons going organic before getting nuked or you have a huge inconsistency on your hands.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That concept art doesn't look like a particularly convincing infiltrator to me.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Giant Cylon snow snake?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
There are already at least two different kinds of 1cw cylon, the pilot (right) and the soldier (left)

Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
That concept art doesn't look like a particularly convincing infiltrator to me.

It's built to look like a woman, and apparently has the remains of a flesh and blood carapace on her right arm...

I think its fair to extrapolate that that chassis probably sported a  full epidermal covering.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Snagger

I like the TOS Centurions - the way they moved in TOS was their let down, the limitations of actors fumbling around blindly, but such were the technical production difficulties of the day.  Their CGI counterparts look very good, and I'd agree the changes were made just to make them look more mechanical and less like "the guy in the suit " the originals were.  Having the subtle differences between the pilot and solder (and any other) versions also helps with a touch of realism.  I think I prefer the new ones - they're certainly more intimidating with their height, their built-in weapons and claws and the deeper scanner noise.  The rendered version on that concept are reminds me too much of the Star Wars medical droid (2-1B or something like that) and doesn't look Cylon - they need to keep the single scanning red light.

As for the semi-hybrid, I agree that while it is clearly meant to be fully flesh covered as Slayer says, I also agree with him and Newman that the concept seems a Terminator rip-off and completely wrecks the new-BSG's recurring and underlying theme of not knowing who your friends and enemies are - it's an allegory of modern terrorism and guerilla warfare as faced in Iraq and Afghanistan, bringing its own sense of paranoia and distrust.  If the Cylons already had infiltrators, then the whole new- BSG premise fails to work.

One way infiltrators would work in "Blood and Chrome" would be if no one lived to tell the tale. Anyone that learned the truth of one of these machines would have to meet their end. Of course such a huge advantage would have to be balanced out somehow so the two sides could reach the armistice. 
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline newman

Way better and simpler to just not go there.

There are already at least two different kinds of 1cw cylon, the pilot (right) and the soldier (left)

Please use lvlshot tags instead of img for big images. See this post as an example.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
One way infiltrators would work in "Blood and Chrome" would be if no one lived to tell the tale. Anyone that learned the truth of one of these machines would have to meet their end. Of course such a huge advantage would have to be balanced out somehow so the two sides could reach the armistice.

And it wouldn't be suspicious at all, having all those piles of bodys.  :P

Also, what newman said.

I totally agree, I'd much rather see just robots fighting the first Cylon War. Unfortunately it's cheaper to have an actor on screen rather than CGI and I'd bet the rent they will find a way to do so.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Say hello again to actors in tin costumes.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

They're not re-imagined considering they look exactly the same as the TOS Cylons, same as the old Hades-class battlestar and the old flying wing cylon raider.
No, they don't look exactly the same. I don't mind new stuff, as long it predates the stuff we've seen in Razor ( remember it was the end of the War!)
and doesn't introduce ridiculous designs.

This is the only acceptable Cylon evolution:

:P

OMG LOLOLOL never seen thisb4 this utterly is the only truth .. frack when the toaster went rong... i pluged it in and it evovled into this guant cromed toaster O_O! i want a refund LOLOL!

Offline Snagger

If they already have the CGI models, wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and better for them to map the models onto live actors with "reference dot" costumes?