Author Topic: General Feedback and Reactions  (Read 2342 times)

General Feedback and Reactions
How I found Diaspora: I was watching IGN's video review of Strike Suit and debating on buying it when I read a comment that said "If you think this is cool, google Diaspora" or something along those lines.  What a lucky encounter with fate!

I've been a fan of Space Simulators and flight sims since the original Wing commander.  I'm also an avid Macross and BSG fan.

My initial response to this game: Totally flabbergasted.  The production values, attention to detail and LOVE that has gone into this project simply oozes from behind every bulkhead and space explosion.  I know it isn't ever going to be the case, but I'd have happily paid full retail price for this gem.  Every sound effect fits flawlessly, right down to the sound of 'space' when idling around.  The voice acting is VERY impressive for a mod, and even the writing fits right in.  I could go on for days, but everyone here already knows this.

My only suggestions would be to increase the player's health a bit.  I'm sure I'll be told I'm just a ****ty pilot, but the game is very difficult, and putting it on easier settings just turns it into an auto-aim duck hunt.  I'm not sure if this is within your control, but it would rock if the easiest setting had a bit less auto-aim and a bit more health if anything.

That's about it for criticism really.  I'm so impressed that I'm trying to shuffle projects around so that I might try and volunteer my services (3D modeling, animation, CGI animation for cut scenes, sound design, floor mopping).  I'll be sure to post in the proper location in that case.

I just wanted to give some feed  back, and most of all humbly thank everyone who took part in creating this.  Truly a polished and flawless execution.

:D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: General Feedback and Reactions
It's pretty easy to create an altered table which will turn off the auto-aim. You can't use it in multiplayer but it would make singleplayer a lot more fun for you from the sounds of it.

I'm sure someone who knows the tables a bit better than me can explain how to do it or even provide you with one.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's pretty easy to create an altered table which will turn off the auto-aim. You can't use it in multiplayer but it would make singleplayer a lot more fun for you from the sounds of it.

I'm sure someone who knows the tables a bit better than me can explain how to do it or even provide you with one.
And you can also edit the tables to give you a little more hitpoints.  Unless someone beats me to it, I'll probably post them in the morning.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Awesome.  I didn't know I could do that.  Could you point me to a tutorial or walkthrough to give me an idea what file to edit and what not to touch.  I'm an experienced modder, but I have NO idea what to do with this engine, its totally new to me.

Has anyone ever made a Macross mod for this engine?

Thanks!

Would Wings of Dawn qualify as a possible substitute since we don't have an actual Macross mod?  It does have the IT-4N-0 multi-target swarm missile in the first mission after all. :p
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

WoD is your best bet, although we're pseudo-Itano rather than real Itano.

...yet. The code is in for the next release.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There was also a Robotech mod but I don't know what happened to it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Awesome.  I didn't know I could do that.  Could you point me to a tutorial or walkthrough to give me an idea what file to edit and what not to touch.  I'm an experienced modder, but I have NO idea what to do with this engine, its totally new to me.

Thanks!

The files you want are ships.tbl and ai_profiles.tbl, archived in the R1_Core.vp file under the tables directory.  You'll need a VP editor to open the .vp file.  For the ships, you'll be looking for $Hitpoints.  For weapons, you'll be looking for $Player Autoaim FOV.  You'll probably want to create modular tables and stick them in your own /data/tables directory (not in a VP).

So, for autoaim, it would look like this:
Code: [Select]
;noautoaim-aip.tbm

#AI Profiles

$Profile Name: Diaspora_default
    +nocreate
$Player Autoaim FOV: 10, 2, 0, 0, 0 ;These are actually the default values

#End

And hitpoints would look like:
Code: [Select]
;strong-shp.tbm

#Ship Classes