Author Topic: In-flight chat  (Read 1693 times)

First thing's first, the prologue is great  :yes: Well worth the wait :) You guys have done a fine job

I was just wondering a couple of things. First thing, the cockpit struts...I remember them being mentioned, but it was a while ago and I think they were announced as a work-in-progress. Will the full Saga have the struts?

Second, I had a look at the comments thread (when I managed to tear myself away from playing  :D ) and I noticed someone said that the wingman chatter during certain nav-points is a little long and distracting. You guys have probably already thought about this, but I thought I'd ask just in case...with certain non-mission chatter like the dream that Ninja and Assassin are talkking about, would it be possible to put that over the autopilot parts? Or would the time compression affect the sound too, and make it sound like Chipmunk Squadron?

Offline KeldorKatarn

Not part of the team but I think I can still answer this.

This is most probably not possible. The reason is simple: The dialogues are timed. So every bit of it is played at a specific time. The time acceleration won't affect the way the dialogue sounds, but it will affect the timing. If you normally have 4 seconds between two parts, at 4x time acceleration you only have 1 second, at 64x there are no pauses at all anymore. This could probably be fixed by using 64x the pausing times, but who knows if the part will be played when flying at 64x or if the autopilot has already slowed to 16x acceleration.
And.. nobody forces you do use the autopilot alltogether. The mission goal wants you to activate it, but nobody keeps you from deactivating it a little earlier that it would automatically.
So it is really hard to impossible to determine what time acceleration the player is using at that moment, so puting dialogue in a potentially time accelerated place of the mission is a big problem, although I agree that those conversations would fit in there best. Maybe the developers can come of with something to improve the way the autopilot works. Then one might be able to put the dialogue sequences there.