Author Topic: About Black Prophecy..  (Read 1154 times)

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
About Black Prophecy..
I just wanted to play it, to try another space simulator..

Chapter One : Installation
6GB to download, with my low internet connection, added to their very poor servers. Well, it took something like 1 day to download :P
So, one day later, the download is finished !  :yes: I double click on the icon to launch the game, and... ****, I have to download some patchs, but the computer cannot connect to the server  :blah: Well, it doesn't matter, some research to the problem on google, and I found the solution (putting some extra files in the main folder). So, I double click again on the icon, and it starts downloading patches. After 2 hours of download, well, I guess the download stopped. So, I abort it, and relaunch it.
2 hours later, it's the same : so I do the same. And this has occured 3 times.
One day later, patch are downloaded, my account is created, I can play !!  :)

Chapter Two : The game
I enter the game, and get into the tutorial. Flying a hologramm ship (you know, they use hologramm ships for training), I just found the controls strange :( a sort of remix of "wasd", but I think they forgot we are in space, and not in a FPS. Well, w and s are to accelerate/brake, and a and d are to "step left" and "step right" ; but with w and s, it's impossible to keep the same speed ; to do this, you have to roll up and down the mouse's wheel (it's really unconfortable). And there is no way to post-combustion..
Anyway, the training was to fly in circles and kill some drones. Without any missiles : just lasers. That's really boring.
The targeting system is terrible : press T, and you only will target what is inside of you. If you want to target something behind you, you have to press Spacebar to go into mouse menu, then click on a button in top of the screen, then select the vessel you want to target, and double click it ! I think there is no way more complicated to target a vessel  :D
After the training is finished, it's possible to watch some videos telling the story of the game (written by a science fiction writer  :rolleyes: but we all are science fiction writers, aren't we ? )

Chapter Three : the story
The story is very strange. Humanity has been collapsed into two races, which have developped thanks to war. And you are a trainee of one of these race, and you start your job being a turret gunner, defending a cruiser who will never be destroyed, even if you stay 1 hour in the game without shooting a vessel  :p Actually, you have to shoot down vessels for something like 15 minutes. Then, a terrific cinematic happens. After this cinematic, you continue shooting vessels ; but you have to shoot down some "weak points" (5 or 6) of the enemy cruiser (3 or 4 laser shoots are enough to each weak points), and then the cruiser goes down. If it was possible to take down cruisers so easily, every gunners would be heroes  :cool:.
And then, another cinematic, and it's always the same : a boring task, then a cinematic, then a boring task, then a cinematic... And dogfights are horrible. The AI is the poorest I have ever seen. Just press a and d to dodge enemy's lasers, meanwhile shooting the enemy. It's very boring.
Actually, the aim of the game is to shoot down vessels to earn XP to level up your vessel (let's imagine a VF Anubis lvl99 :P), and then upgrade it buying some new weapons.

Chapter Four : Quests
After the first mission is finished, you can talk to some character after have docked in some stations, to get a task. But I just gave up, the task was too boring : I quitted the game, and desinstalled it.

So, I really was disappointed by Black Prophecy : I don't know how this game can be "the game of the year" or some other things like that. They are claiming they have made an amazing game, with a lot of actions, but I don't think they know what is a real space fighting simulator game.

What do you think about it ?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: About Black Prophecy..
Thread should probably be in the gaming forum as its not so much about freespace, but whatever.

I played Black prophecy briefly, was a while ago. Back then I got thrown instantly in that turret firing segment and after that it was about waiting for a ship to dock and it then got bombed by a terrorist attack or something. Can't recall exactly.
Anyway the game made a poor impression on me mostly because in 20 minutes of playing it crashed to desktop 3 times. And it forced me to wait for that one ship to dock two times because of it. (It was like a full 3 to 5 minutes of actual waiting)
Then it crashed again so meh. I uninstalled at that point, it failed to grab my attention.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline starlord

I think they should have stuck with single player as initially planned!

The story seems to have many interesting characteristics, as well as ship design! Perhaps some day they could create something more single player oriented in the same universe...

Offline -Norbert-

The beginning is really unfortunately chosen.
The first real impression you get from the game is, sitting in a gun-turret... something you can't even do in the "actual" game.

And the controlls aren't all that unusual, if you played Freelancer.

One advantage the game definately has (once you're out of the prologue anyway), is that you can either go into the MMO part (free-PVP areas where it's faction vs. faction - often also highlevel idiots jerking off about slaughtering lowlevel players :mad2:) or you can avoid the whole PVP and just form a party and do missions (which create an instance just for your party).

Or at least it was like that a year ago, when I last played it.... There certainly have been a lot of patches since then.