Author Topic: Inferno: Alliance Released!  (Read 120989 times)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Re: Inferno: Alliance Released!
Actually the version I currently have doesn't work 100% with INF SCP but does with SCP standard INF:A :D

I should have that fixed at a later date.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Goober:
Yeah but if I set the first choice as the INF:A track and the second choice as a FS2 retail track, and that track isn't in the INF SCP tables then you'd get no music?
You set the regular track as the FS2 track and the substitute track as the INF:A track.  If the game doesn't find the INF:A track, it plays the FS2 track.  If it doesn't find the FS2 track, only then do you get nothing.

There's enough room to put the FS2 tracks in musicl.tbl too, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Whew. Just finished the campaign. Some of these missions are bizarrely extraordinarily hard, then I try them again and I beat it without a sweat... weird.

Anyway, one thing I'm still scratching my head over: why did the Earth forces engage Mars? And why does the Jovian Alliance care about attacking the inner planets? Did I miss some political movements during the campaign?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Centrixo

i would of been good to keep the community guessing, then eventually the community would need to play because no one gave anything away.. ok finished ot.

well its like i said all writing and not enough screenies.
anyway, ive already put my points across and woomeister kindly answered them. so il read from here onward :D
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Anyway, one thing I'm still scratching my head over: why did the Earth forces engage Mars? And why does the Jovian Alliance care about attacking the inner planets? Did I miss some political movements during the campaign?
Earth was likely observing the internal Martian conflict with the rogue Admiral, and chose to strike at the most opportune time; right at the end of the rebellion when the Martian fleet was at its weakest.

They struck at Mars for the same reason the Jovian Alliance obviously intends to attack the inner planets: Resources would undoubtedly be at a premium giving the heavily developed status of Sol, which would obviously give rise to increased tensions over control of the remaining strategic resources in the system.

The only problem I have with the campaign is the same problem I had with Sol: A History, in that the borders between the interplanetary factions seem rather... contrived. I mean, are the borders arranged in rings along the ecliptic plane of the solar system? Are they merely centred around the planets themselves, constantly moving and evolving as the planets orbit Sol? With stationary installations in the Asteroid Belt, are we to assume it's been carved up not unlike present day Antarctica, with the rest of the borders spread out along the orbital paths of the planets? What's the deal, Woo?

Offline mr.WHO

Yup, I also felt that breifings are too simple. We don't know why and how Sol GTA disbanded into planetary factions, we don't know if Earth is spiritual descendant of GTA and more to who Greate war GTA forces in Sol are loyal too (at least some of them would be from other systems, not Sol-only)---> hint for INF:A zero ,set before INF:A and soon after end of GW).

How many years after Lucifer destruction INF:A is set?

Does Sol maintain any contact with outer systems? Alpha Centauri is 4LY from Sol so they would get relpy after 8 years (in FS2 GTVA sat that they know that Lucifer was destroyed and Earth/Sol was safe) this could be an interesting plot/ tech room entry (there was an entry for Earth/Sol in FS2, so INF:A should have similar entry but from Sol point of view about outer systems, later about GTVA).

I miss and intelligence entries in tech room so much :(

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

The only problem I have with the campaign is the same problem I had with Sol: A History, in that the borders between the interplanetary factions seem rather... contrived. I mean, are the borders arranged in rings along the ecliptic plane of the solar system? Are they merely centred around the planets themselves, constantly moving and evolving as the planets orbit Sol? With stationary installations in the Asteroid Belt, are we to assume it's been carved up not unlike present day Antarctica, with the rest of the borders spread out along the orbital paths of the planets? What's the deal, Woo?

For general territory it would be a specific radius from the planet itself, except when resources are concerned.

Earth gets resources from the inner planets and some small parts of the asteroid field.
Mars controls the bulk of the field
Jupiter controls the outer field
Saturn, Uranus and Neptune have very few external resources
Pluto and the outer regions use the Kuplier Belt

Earth is the biggest faction at that time with 3 planets. Mars however controls a lot of resources and so can match earth in military might. Jupiter is smaller than those two factions at that time and isn't combined with the other outer worlds.

Offline Dysko

Couldn't they use their rings to collect resources? Especially Saturn could collect a lot of resources from its rings.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

heya,  should mars already been taken by EA??  since this campagin takes places 15 years after teh sol jump node collipes, and on Sol a History EA defeated Mars like 5 years after teh first campaign??  or this is just a whole new story??

Offline Snail

• SC 5
SAH is not INF-canon. It's a whole new story.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Couldn't they use their rings to collect resources? Especially Saturn could collect a lot of resources from its rings.
Yeah but that wouldn't be classed as external resources really :)

Offline Dysko

Yeah but that wouldn't be classed as external resources really :)
Technically, they are external: they aren't on the surface :P Like everything else, since they are gas giants. So... well, I think they cannot be considered external resources. Ignore my previous post... I forgot to consider they are gas giants :nervous:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Snail

• SC 5
So in INFA the Jovians are the 'Jovian Alliance' but in INFA2 they are the 'Jovian Coalition', like in SAH, right?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
They're the JC in INF:A2, I don't think I gave them an official name in INF:A did I?
They aren't the same group as in the original INF:A either way.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You said Jovian Alliance with capitals in one of the missions.

Yeah, just after the Earth-Mars War was declared, it was mentioned that the Jovian Alliance was staying neutral in the conflict.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I like Jupiter, always my favourite faction in SAH, I hope they're cool in INFA2 cool!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Ah yes so I did :)

Well they have the new HTL toys on their side.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I just finished playing INF:A. My initial impressions and recommendations:

1. Most of the models are excellent. However, the Apollyon looks a little flaky with that giant cockpit and the Megaera is...uninspiring. The Fenris-style tile textures are a very nice touch.
2. Even when you put aside the AI changes, weapons cut through ships like they're armored with papier-maché. I recommend you turn weapon damage down for INF:A2.
3. Missions are short and rather uninvolving with the lack of dialogue. Most of the minutes are around 3-4 minutes. I prefer a mission to be 5 minutes minimum, with some missions lasting up to 10 minutes.
4. The lack of nebulae actually works very well, making space feel cold, dark, and hostile. It reminds me of neo-BSG in that way.
5. I can't hear those railguns firing without thinking of Quake. The problem with appropriating sounds from other games is that people may have strong memories of those games and thus those sounds.
6. Some more exposition at the beginning of the campaign would be nice. The mod just throws you into the thick of it with no preparation.
7. HTLing the Antaeus is like putting lipstick on a pig. No matter what you do to that design, it will still be ugly as sin. And a heavy fighter without big missile racks kind of defeats the purpose of a heavy fighter.
8. The Enceladus is not a whole lot of fun to fly or fight. Please increase the shield and hull strength and severely decrease the turning rate. Make it more like the Apollo successor and put the Ulysses back in to fulfill the maneuverability role.
9. Angel scout fighter -- they still build these things?
10. The Hera just strikes me as weird. It has crappy bomb payloads but can carry a massive gun load. But guns are for taking out cruisers and turrets, not destroyers, and if you're taking out cruisers and turrets, why would you use gigantic bombers in the first place? The Hera does make a great gunboat though. Banshee-R + Ripper = DEATH to fighters.
11. Why no AAA railguns?
12. A mix of FS1 and FS2 music would have been nice, but you apparently didn't rise to the opportunity.

Overall, it's pretty good, and I'm really looking forward to the sequel. I would wait faithfully for it just to get my hands on the Claymore.

EDIT: One more thing, how did you get that light bloom in FS2?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 10:32:38 pm by Woolie Wool »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Kaboodles

• Kill the meat. Save the metal.
Ack.  You removed the "Apply loadout to wing" button.  That was a favorite button of mine.  :(

EDIT:  omg, those callistos have laser machine guns!!!  :eek:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 11:15:07 am by Woomeister »