Author Topic: Availability of fs_open2_3_6_9.exe  (Read 1726 times)

Offline erneut

Availability of fs_open2_3_6_9.exe
Hi

I try to run fs2-open using Intel HD5500 graphics with Win10. It seems impossible. Newest launcher, updated drivers, all files where they should be, 32bit set for screen and launcher etc, tried different resolutions etc. The original FS2 works great btw. The launcher only works without error message in WIN8 compatibility mode. When I want to start the game all I managed to get so far is the "unable to get proper pixel format for opengl w32" error.

So, my graphic card is build into a laptop. I cannot change it. All I found regarding this problem is that someone suggested to use a fs_open version before 3.6.10.

Here my question: where can I find the 3_6_9.exe ? I have the vp's but cannot find the proper executable.

Also, if anyone managed to get FS2 open to run on a HD5500 with Win10, I'd be happy to hear any tips.

Thank you very much for reading

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Availability of fs_open2_3_6_9.exe
I can run fso 3.7.4 fine on my laptop with a HD3000 on Win10, as long as I disable shader support (i.e. the -no_glsl command line flag).  I'd try that before using 3.6.9, which is a notoriously buggy release. Also, please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline erneut

Hi Niffiwan,

Thanks for your response. The -no_glsl flag is set. I attached the log file.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline erneut

So apparently I have open gl 1.1 and no effin way I can update that. So, back to mz original question. Is there anyone who knows where I can get the old fs2_open_3_6_9.exe from?

thanks!

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
http://scp.indiegames.us/builds/WIN/fs2_open_3_6_9.zip
However, it appears that HD5500 is actually supporting OpenGL 4.5 (Windows)/4.4 (Linux): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_and_Iris_Graphics#Capabilities

I'm suggesting that you should look around a bit with Google for any way of updating OpenGL... somehow.
By the way, I heard somewhere that GL support is dependant on your CPU model - any way to confirm that?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You should try one of the recent nightly builds. They use a different mechanism for creating the opengl context, which may work better on your machine.

MitoPL: there is no way to update opengl manually. It is part of the gpu driver (which Intel does produce for the iGPUs in their processors).

Technically speaking, the opengl support depends on two things: your gpu, and it's driver.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 03:54:12 pm by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Offline erneut

Hi All,

Thanks for your assistance. I managed to get opengl4.4. solution was easy, getting there not.
I use a dell xps 9343 with intel hd 5500 and win10. I use a second screen with a display adapter via usb3.

Standard setting is to use the big screen with the adapter and turn the laptop screen off. (its the "multiple displays / show on 1" setting under display settings).

I spent several days trying to update my opengl version. (1.1) today I realized that when I use my laptop without adapter (one screen) it shows the opengl4.4!

Now all I did is to "extend display" instead of "show on 1" and I get opengl4.4. Now I am happily playing FS2 on the big screen.

such a weird issue. but who would think your opengl version gets changed depending on whether you switch one screen off or not...

Offline Yarn

Where were you seeing OpenGL 1.1? Was it here?

Code: [Select]
Initializing OpenAL...
  OpenAL Vendor     : Creative Labs Inc.
  OpenAL Renderer   : Software
  OpenAL Version    : 1.1

If so, then you were looking at your OpenAL version. OpenAL deals with audio and has nothing to do with OpenGL or graphics.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline erneut

No. I used OpenGL Extensions Viewer...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
such a weird issue. but who would think your opengl version gets changed depending on whether you switch one screen off or not...

When you use this display adapter, all rendering is done by the hardware in the adapter, meaning that your GPU effectively gets switched off. When that happens, your system reverts to software rendering, and the max supported OpenGL version there is 1.1.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline erneut

well, that would make sense. But, I am using the adapter right now and have opengl4.4 on both screens!
Only, and only when I turn off the laptop screen it switches to opengl1.1...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
(My guess)  Your GPU is driving the game on the laptop screen, and the crappy GPU is just copying it.  When you shut off the laptop screen, it shuts that GPU off, and the crappy GPU is then driving the game.