Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 589058 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
Prove your assertions, maslo.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Prove your assertions, maslo.

Number of SC backers: 2.2 million (some duplicate accounts but still)
Size of the gaming community: ~some hundreds of millions

Number of negative comments about SC in your usual article comment section: 10-100 (and this is while they do get linked heavily to SC active discussions on the internet, both pro and anti ones)

Heck, SC subreddit visitors (not even talking about commenters) are like less than 1% of backers.

From a general point of view, things we are discussing in this thread are a mere storm in a teapot. The only way this could change is if SC releases and turns out to be either a great success, or fails development completely. Until then, most people dont give a damn.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:25:20 pm by 666maslo666 »
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

I think Wing Commander 1 & 3 were much better in this area.

Hey! I liked WC2's torpedo runs!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
98% of backers, and 99% of general gaming public, does not care to comment and/or are mostly neutral. And the only way this could possibly change is if the project actually fails spectacularly. That could indeed be big news. Other than that, nobody gives a **** about years of delay or changing/expanding scope. Business as usual in game development. End result is what will count, the rest will disappear like last year snow.

Yeah, see, what you're doing here is making a "The silent majority backs me!" argument. Which never, ever works; Sure, the majority of the gaming community does not care about SC. Similarly, most of SCs backers are silent.

But to extrapolate from that that anyone voicing criticism of the game is "a goon or other troll" is .... wrong. Statistically wrong, because you can't prove whether or not someone commenting semi-anonymously on the reddits or other comment sections is a SA member, and rhetorically wrong, because there are many, many criticisms that can be levelled against SC, CIG, SC evangelists and Chris Roberts specifically, ranging from their litany of broken promises (Remember the whole "we'll never take outside investors!"? How does that look, now that they got 48 million USD in external funding? Or any release date they've ever set? Or their assertions that S42 was pretty much complete, several years ago?) to their constant desire to rewrite history (Remember yourself saying that "real development only started $CURRENT_YEAR-2"?).

And, finally: CIG currently has a cash burn rate of about 4 million USD/month according to their public financials. They also have 17m in remaining assets. You can figure out for yourself what they have to do to get to the 2020 date that is currently their deadline.

Offline Aesaar

Judging by the reception SC gets anywhere except on Spectrum, r/starcitizen, and dedicated fansites, I'd say most people aren't ambivalent, they're distrustful at best.

Whenever Star Citizen gets posted to r/games or r/pcgaming, disparaging and skeptical comments are invariably the most common and most upvoted.  Because after 7 years, SC's become a bit of a joke.  It's the new DNF.

Number of SC backers: 2.2 million (some duplicate accounts but still)
Nope.  That's only the number of registered accounts on robertspaceindustries.  The actual number of backers is only about half that.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 04:05:40 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I guess I have to spell it out for one or two people who take things completely literally, but the point of posting that Reddit thread was to show that, even in what should be the heart of SC fanboy territory, there were a sizeable minority (if not a 50-50 split) of commenters joking or expressing frustration about the ridiculous delays, and numerous people bemoaning the fact that feature creep had wreaked havoc on the original scope and timeline of the project.  A couple of years ago all of that absolutely would have been downvoted to oblivion, but it certainly isn't now.  So what does that say, then?

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Yeah, see, what you're doing here is making a "The silent majority backs me!" argument. Which never, ever works; Sure, the majority of the gaming community does not care about SC. Similarly, most of SCs backers are silent.

And, finally: CIG currently has a cash burn rate of about 4 million USD/month according to their public financials. They also have 17m in remaining assets. You can figure out for yourself what they have to do to get to the 2020 date that is currently their deadline.

Silent majority is split between being cautiously optimistic, neutral, and cautiously pessimistic. I dont really have an issue with such opinions as all are valid at this time and open to changing their minds if the game turns out to be good. It is the extremists, those who think SC is a scam or a trainwreck about to go bankrupt in 90 days tops, that are a very small and irrelevant minority. Most of them are Goons or otherwise directly tied to anti-SC internet hubs on SA or reddit. They are not relevant in the big picture at all.

All they have to do to get to 2021 is to keep their income from backers at a level similar to what it was during last few years. Their burn rate roughly equals their income rate. And if not, there seems to be enough outside capital available to help bridge the gap.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Silent majority is split between being cautiously optimistic, neutral, and cautiously pessimistic.

You can't know that. That's what "silent majority" means.

I dont really have an issue with such opinions as all are valid at this time and open to changing their minds if the game turns out to be good. It is the extremists, those who think SC is a scam or a trainwreck about to go bankrupt in 90 days tops, that are a very small and irrelevant minority. Most of them are Goons or otherwise directly tied to anti-SC internet hubs on SA or reddit.

You can't know that either.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Goons don’t care about SC, it’s a big-ass forum. Same way EVE ‘goons’ barely register to most of SA.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
You didn't find the flight model and space combat mission design incredibly simplistic compared to even original, unmodded FS2?

It's got better turret/subsystem interaction than core FS2, and the ability to swap between 'plane' and 'VTOL' flight modes gets rid of the worst part of FS2's fighter/capship dynamic - the long, boring resets where you get distance to make your next run. And capships defend themselves much more actively than in (say) FS1. The fighter-on-fighter dynamic is pretty weak, the missions are fairly narrow in scope, and it's short on challenge and content, but as a AAA for-the-masses space shooter goes it's really good.

I don't care about weird nuances of who believes what about which product, I just wanna say IW is a good-ass game and you can play it right now if you're looking for an expensive, cinematic, space-legs story.

One last thing: are you confined to either M+K or a Xinput pad or can you use a Directinput joystick with rebindable buttons too? I'm still mildly traumatized by the nightmare Battlefront 2 was on that front.

I think Wing Commander 1 & 3 were much better in this area.

Hey! I liked WC2's torpedo runs!

I did too, the only problem was that with that stupid sprite-based engine it was too damn easy to get too close when doing those.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You didn't find the flight model and space combat mission design incredibly simplistic compared to even original, unmodded FS2?

It's got better turret/subsystem interaction than core FS2, and the ability to swap between 'plane' and 'VTOL' flight modes gets rid of the worst part of FS2's fighter/capship dynamic - the long, boring resets where you get distance to make your next run. And capships defend themselves much more actively than in (say) FS1. The fighter-on-fighter dynamic is pretty weak, the missions are fairly narrow in scope, and it's short on challenge and content, but as a AAA for-the-masses space shooter goes it's really good.

I don't care about weird nuances of who believes what about which product, I just wanna say IW is a good-ass game and you can play it right now if you're looking for an expensive, cinematic, space-legs story.

One last thing: are you confined to either M+K or a Xinput pad or can you use a Directinput joystick with rebindable buttons too? I'm still mildly traumatized by the nightmare Battlefront 2 was on that front.

I don't know! I've only ever flown with m/kb since I was a kid.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Flying with mouse in Battlefront 2 is an exercise in frustration and misery imho. The old BF2 oth, had great flight controls for m+kb, in fact I still play it on my ****ty laptop from time to time.

And furthermore, Star Citizen is good.

josephstalin.jpeg

It has always been good.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 02:57:05 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline CT27

I read again that Wing Commander 3 and 4 cost four and 12 million to make respectively.

SC has got over 200 million last I checked.  This is more in regard to SQ42 than SC, but surely for a small multiple of the amount in my opening sentence CR could have made a high quality space sim game and could have had it out by now right?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VGD5wFnAQQ#t=282s

https://wccftech.com/roberts-squadron-42-above-god-of-war/
This man just can't stop running his loving dumb mouth.

We’ve crafted it in such a way that you’re making the choices. The difference compared to — in some of our past games, some of the actual choices you make, in terms of character interaction, are made for you, not by you as the player. But in our case, we’ve very carefully crafted it so you choose who you befriend, who you hang out with, who you talk to, how you find out what their life stories are.

It's almost as if several decades of experiments in in-game storytelling are completely new to Roberts, isn't it.

Also, holy **** the hubris of that man. "A better story than God of War or The Last Of Us", sure, Mr "Vanduul", I totally believe you can actually make that happen.

I read again that Wing Commander 3 and 4 cost four and 12 million to make respectively.

SC has got over 200 million last I checked.  This is more in regard to SQ42 than SC, but surely for a small multiple of the amount in my opening sentence CR could have made a high quality space sim game and could have had it out by now right?

Sure, in theory you can create a good game with that budget... if you have some management skills.

But in reality SC is simply going to be over 50 times better than than WC3.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Prophecy was a bag of arse.

I really was.

wait wut

:lol:

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VGD5wFnAQQ#t=282s

If i watch something like that, i am asking if you are kidding me?

I mean... the Turrets are shooting at an enemy the whole time and no one of the AI cares about that, for example, shut down the Elevator? Close all doors?
Seems that all of them are deaf and so are even surprised that there is an intruder?

Yes, i know it is not a Star Citizien exclusive phenomenon, situations like that happened in Mass Effect and Parkan 2, in some occasions that also happened in my absolute favorite Space Sim/First Person Shooter combo The Precursors, too. But well... if you are talking about a realistic game world... i mean, at least a locked down elevator and closed doors should already implemented  :D

Next to the CryEngine they had should take over the cheating AI (at least on the higher difficulties) from the CrySis games back then, too  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 07:03:37 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

I mean... the Turrets are shooting at an enemy the whole time and no one of the AI cares about that, for example, shut down the Elevator? Close all doors?
Seems that all of them are deaf and so are even surprised that there is an intruder?

artificial stupidity

Looking at the life indicators, can I die in SC from a heart attack in the midst of a firefight if SC detects that I have an unhealthy lifestyle ingame?

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Prophecy was a bag of arse.
I'm seeing this only now.
I wouldn't be *that* harsh but having waves after waves of enemies that are too fast for you in a game that still uses limited afterburner fuel is not a good idea, also that energy system is just useless.

It felt less diverse than WC3.

Which is saying something, the best remains 4 but it's still not quite up to Tie Fighter or Freespace standard.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor