Author Topic: Trying to get AoA to run on OS X 10.6  (Read 1447 times)

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Trying to get AoA to run on OS X 10.6
It looks like the provided OS X FSO builds for BP were built with Xcode 4, so they won't run on my MacBook Pro running 10.6 (Snow Leopard). Thus I decided to try applying BP.patch to Antipodes r9485 and see if I could get a working build.

Which reminds me: BP Team, am I correct in that all I need to do to get AoA to run is (1) delete my blueplanet folder, (2) replace it with the contents of the blueplanet folder in the new blueplanet.7z archive, (3) get an appropriate FSO build for BP, (4) set it up in the launcher, and (5) press Play, creating a new pilot to use for AoA and selecting AoA in the campaign room?

Anyways, I checked out Antipodes r9485 and applied BP.patch, only to find that FSO wouldn't compile:

Code: [Select]
Build code of project FS2_Open with configuration Release

CompileC build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/Objects-normal/i386/gropengldraw.o ../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp normal i386 c++ com.apple.compilers.gcc.4_0
cd /Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode
setenv LANG en_US.US-ASCII
/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -x c++ -arch i386 -fmessage-length=0 -pipe -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -fasm-blocks -O3 -DNDEBUG -DSCP_UNIX -DUSE_OPENAL -DAPPLE_APP -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -funroll-loops -fstrict-aliasing -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -I/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/code.hmap -Wno-char-subscripts -F/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/Release -F/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/Frameworks -I/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/Release/include -I../../code -IFrameworks/Ogg.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/Vorbis.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/Theora.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/SDL.framework/Headers -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Headers -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers -I/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/DerivedSources/i386 -I/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/DerivedSources -c /Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp -o /Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/Objects-normal/i386/gropengldraw.o

/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp: In function 'void opengl_setup_scene_textures()':
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:2574: error: 'GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:2578: error: 'GL_RENDERBUFFER' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:2579: error: 'GL_RENDERBUFFER' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp: In function 'void gr_opengl_scene_texture_begin()':
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:2767: error: 'GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp: In function 'void gr_opengl_deferred_lighting_end()':
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:2910: error: 'GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp: In function 'void gr_opengl_deferred_lighting_finish()':
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:2940: error: 'GL_FRAMEBUFFER' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:2940: error: 'GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:2940: error: 'GL_RENDERBUFFER' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:2941: error: 'GL_FRAMEBUFFER' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:2941: error: 'GL_STENCIL_ATTACHMENT' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:2941: error: 'GL_RENDERBUFFER' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:3000: error: 'GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:3001: error: 'GL_FRAMEBUFFER' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:3001: error: 'GL_STENCIL_ATTACHMENT' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengldraw.cpp:3001: error: 'GL_RENDERBUFFER' was not declared in this scope

CompileC build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/Objects-normal/i386/gropenglstate.o ../../code/graphics/gropenglstate.cpp normal i386 c++ com.apple.compilers.gcc.4_0
/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -x c++ -arch i386 -fmessage-length=0 -pipe -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -fasm-blocks -O3 -DNDEBUG -DSCP_UNIX -DUSE_OPENAL -DAPPLE_APP -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -funroll-loops -fstrict-aliasing -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -I/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/code.hmap -Wno-char-subscripts -F/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/Release -F/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/Frameworks -I/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/Release/include -I../../code -IFrameworks/Ogg.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/Vorbis.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/Theora.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/SDL.framework/Headers -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Headers -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers -I/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/DerivedSources/i386 -I/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/DerivedSources -c /Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropenglstate.cpp -o /Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/Objects-normal/i386/gropenglstate.o

/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropenglstate.cpp: In member function 'void opengl_texture_state::Enable(GLuint)':
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropenglstate.cpp:216: error: 'GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY_EXT' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropenglstate.cpp: In member function 'void opengl_texture_state::Disable(bool)':
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropenglstate.cpp:236: error: 'GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY_EXT' was not declared in this scope

CompileC build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/Objects-normal/i386/gropengltnl.o ../../code/graphics/gropengltnl.cpp normal i386 c++ com.apple.compilers.gcc.4_0
/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -x c++ -arch i386 -fmessage-length=0 -pipe -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -fasm-blocks -O3 -DNDEBUG -DSCP_UNIX -DUSE_OPENAL -DAPPLE_APP -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -funroll-loops -fstrict-aliasing -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -I/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/code.hmap -Wno-char-subscripts -F/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/Release -F/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/Frameworks -I/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/Release/include -I../../code -IFrameworks/Ogg.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/Vorbis.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/Theora.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/SDL.framework/Headers -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Headers -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers -I/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/DerivedSources/i386 -I/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/DerivedSources -c /Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengltnl.cpp -o /Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Release/code.build/Objects-normal/i386/gropengltnl.o

/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengltnl.cpp: In function 'void opengl_tnl_init()':
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengltnl.cpp:503: error: 'GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY_EXT' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengltnl.cpp:511: error: 'GL_COMPARE_REF_DEPTH_TO_TEXTURE_EXT' was not declared in this scope
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengltnl.cpp: In function 'void opengl_render_pipeline_program(int, const vertex_buffer*, const buffer_data*, int)':
/Users/jglatt/fs2antipodes/projects/Xcode/../../code/graphics/gropengltnl.cpp:870: error: 'GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY_EXT' was not declared in this scope

It looks like the new graphical enhancements require some OpenGL features that are in the 10.6 SDK and up but not in earlier SDKs, and the Xcode 3 project currently targets the 10.4 SDK. Furthermore, since PowerPC isn't supported on 10.6, I figured I might as well build an Intel-only FSO build rather than a ppc/i386 Universal Binary.

So after updating the Xcode 3 project to target 10.6 and be Intel-only, as well as fix some version string in the Xcode project (patch attached), FSO now builds, but now the release build crashes a couple seconds after starting it. Attached is the not especially enlightening stack trace.

Next thing to try is (of course) a debug build, and that seems to run without a problem... naturally. :sigh: Debug log attached.

Ran a sanity check, namely making sure that a release build of vanilla antipodes r9485 with my patch works with mods off, which it does. Debug log from an antipodes build attached as well.

First idea: could someone from the BP Team create a version of BP.patch that leaves out all of the new graphical enhancements and contains just the changes needed for BP to run? I'd like to see if that will work.

Thanks.

EDIT: Maybe those OpenGL features exist pre-10.6 but are under a different name? No idea.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:44:34 am by jg18 »

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Re: Trying to get AoA to run on OS X 10.6
Glad to know it isn't just me having these issues on 10.6! Let me know if I can help out with testing and stuff.

Offline GrahamO

I must admit I thought PPC was supported through to 10.7 Leopard but not beyond.

Is your machine a PPC Mac ?

I must admit I thought PPC was supported through to 10.7 Leopard but not beyond.

Is your machine a PPC Mac ?

10.6 snow leopard and up are intel only. 10.7 lion and mountain lion also removed Rosetta support. He has an intel machine. Jg18 has since created a version working on 10.6 Macs (posted in a different thread) that rips out the newer graphics code requiring a higher version of OpenGL than is supported on 10.6. Others are working on a version that will fall back on the older graphics if the new graphics are not available.

EDIT: I see from another thread, you have already been told the relevant info - feel free to ignore this post! :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:04:46 pm by crazy_dave »