Author Topic: A of A working, W i H not so much  (Read 1874 times)

Offline GrahamO

A of A working, W i H not so much
Okay, I have got AofA working and have now completed it after a manual install on my iMac. Great fun and excellent graphics on the 27" screen, and I am now trying to install war in Heaven. I have downloaded the relevant 7Z files which I believe are;

adv-bp2
blueplanet
bp2-audio1
bp2-core
bp2-visuals1
bp2-visuals2
FS2_Open 3.6.17 BP Mac

I followed the instructions to uncompress the files into the Freespace 2 folder, set the flags as sugested and fired up the launcher. I got into the game, through the player selection etc, I chose the campaign (choice WiH1, WiH2, and one other) and the cutscene started to show the Europa station before crashing back to the launcher with a state of -1 (as it says at the bottom of the Wx launcher window). I have the logfile if that would be useful.

Those who have Macs know a peculiarity of them is that when you uncompress something into a folder, if there is a folder to uncompress, of the same name as an existing folder, it can create a new folder with a similar name, and unzip into that rather than add to an existing folders contents, so I am completely confused about what goes in what folder top get WiH running. I am fairly convinced that I have all the right files, but something has moved to the wrong place :(

So, I restored my freespace2 folder back to its original form (I think) which still runs AofA (checked that) and it looks like the screenshot below;

Could someone clarify what goes where as when I try to decompress the 7Z files straight into the Freespace2 folder, something isn't right.

Thanks very much for the patience.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Re: A of A working, W i H not so much
Logs (assuming fs2_open.log) are always useful. :) Please post or attach yours.

Try rearranging your Blue Planet files so that they look like these blueplanet and blueplanet2 folders, with a couple notes:

• Ignore the data/tables/bp-shp.tbm and data/tables/bp2-shp.tbm. You'll need them if you install the unofficial OS X BP build (described below), but if you go that route, you can find those files included with that build.
  • You do, however, need the bplogo.bmp and mod.ini files for blueplanet and blueplanet2, which are found in the BP1 and BP2 "core" downloads (such as bp2-core.7z), so you'll need to find and open those downloads again. You'll also find the .url files in those downloads.

Other thoughts:

- You might want to delete adv-bp2.vp and adv-bp.vp, or at least move them outside of your FreeSpace 2 folder before deleting, to see if they improve things. They are optional files that require high-end graphics cards. Do you know what graphics card you have? If not, your log will say.

- You might want to try the BP build I made for OS X. It has worked for a number of people, including me. You'll need the data/tables/ stuff mentioned above, but that post will explain how to set it up.

Offline GrahamO

Thaks jg18 - very much appreciated.

Looking at your file structure, I seem to have nested folders ,whereas you have a 'blueplanet2' folder and mine sat inside the bp-core2 folder - I think the extractor has been getting a bit random with its locations.

Anyway, I have moved the bits around and set the structure up like your and the basic game runs up to the end of the mission briefing, and when one commits, it drops then, so a big leap forward in progress.

I have attached the logfile for the crash at that point and also a screengrab of the strange graphics during weapon loading menu which don't affect anything but just seem strange.

the launcher command line is currently /Applications/Freespace 2/FS2_Open 3.6.17 BP (debug).app -mod
blueplanet2,blueplanet,mediavps_3612 -missile_lighting -3dshockwave -3dwarp -warp_flash
-snd_preload -window -nograb

Any more thoughts appreciated :)

EDIT : One minor thought - no in mission briefing voice messages to that point ? Not sure if there should be voices but I am not hearing any ?

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:10:38 am by GrahamO »

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
The lines issue is a known issue with the BP builds AFAIK.

Try the build I mentioned before and see if that fixes things.

EDIT: WiH has not been voice acted yet -- it's currently being worked on.

Offline GrahamO

Thanks - I'll try it later as I am being frowned at for spending too much time on t'computer :)

EDIT : Just quickly did the update and used your custom build and it works fine now. I will crank up the screen resolution next to see how much this affects things.

And maybe turn on some of the effects to see if I can brighten the ships up a little as some of the capital ships are near invisible.

Many thanks !
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:32:11 pm by GrahamO »

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Glad things are working.

Sounds like there might be a lighting issue. Take a look at the lighting presets box on the launcher's advanced settings page and the descriptions of the presets on the wiki as well as the wiki's description of what the lighting settings mean. I think one or both of the AoA/WiH release threads also has recommendations about lighting.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
WiH is in general very dark by design.  i don't much care for that either because of the invisible ships like you said, so i turned up lighting settings in the launcher.

here is my custom flags field.
-ambient_factor 160 -spec_exp 16 -spec_point 0.3 -spec_static 0.8 -spec_tube 0.4 -ogl_spec 60 -bloom_intensity 20 -spec -glow -env -mipmap

i had spec_point at 0.6 prior to the custom BP builds.  i couldn't really tell a difference when i dropped it to 0.3 per instructions from the release thread though.  i'm still searching for a way to tone down the painfully blinding bomb flashes and sun flare.  if anyone knows how, help me out.  i'll post back if i ever figure it out on my own.
I like to stare at the sun.