Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 270459 times)

And is it the saving grace for this dead game? Is everything fine and dandy now? Is there something to do yet aside from grinding deathmatches over and over?

There it is! That's what I was thinking to ask but couldn't find the words.
And no I'm not going to waste bandwidth checking for myself just yet.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I dunno, I only play it casually and don't really bother to keep up with the community.  It does well enough when I occasionally want to make a few drops and blow stuff up.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Still having fun with my giant robot, suckers.

We'll see about Hawken though when it comes to steam.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I've had more fun with Hawken then MWO. Its a better (but different) game overal. Not that that is a hard acomplishment. Considering how ARSE mwo is.
Hawken has a bunch of flaws though and it only kept me interested for a short while... because there are so <many> free online games to play nowadays holy crap. What mostly bugged me a lot about Hawken is the leveling system. It doesnt feel good to level, it more feels like your handicap is slowly getting removed instead.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
That's basically the same thing with MWO.  Your battlemech can't do jack **** until you've installed DHS, and you can't install DHS unless you played 80 successful matches (before they implemented Cadet Bonus, now it's 25 matches and then 80 until the next thing).  Trying to play the game is excruciatingly slow if you don't want to pay, and in that I must congratulate PGI.  They managed to make a game that's not pay to win by making it pay to enjoy.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
This is the most recent BattleTech topic on the forums, and I didn't want to bump all of them.

That said, I think several of you guys would be interested in BattleTech if it took place in 1988.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
.....yeah, I'd play that.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

That said, I think several of you guys would be interested in BattleTech if it took place in 1988.

Soooo.... Wargame: World of Walking Tanks? I'd play that as well.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
So would I. Maybe as an ArmA III mod? :) AII had some mechs made for it, so it can be done, and there's pretty much everything that we'd need (including most of the weapons) in AIII, including the way to make this an RTS.
It's times like that when I regret AIII-quality modelling and scripting is still beyond me.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Still having fun with my giant robot, suckers.

We'll see about Hawken though when it comes to steam.

I must report with great irony that Hawken's efforts to deliver rapid anime-esque combat are a joke. I get more of that sensation driving a COM-2D than I can in Hawken. Hawken bots are surprisingly slow and short on non-scripted agility for something that promised a high-intensity high-agility combat.

It has its charms, but overall it is and remains a much inferior game for either the stompy or the speedy concept of Giant Robot Combat.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Oh, there's a thread like this?

After caving in and installing Steam a while ago, I decided to give Hawken a try because it had always seemed like a cool game. Huge disappointment! I can't even customize my mech (without paying, or playing a lot), not to mention use different mechs. And it's nothing more than a basic arena shooter? With small, close-quarters, limited environments (forcefield walls everywhere)? :sigh:

Because of that disappointment, I figured I'd give MWO a try. I've only really played it once so far, and it was miles more satisfying than Hawken, even though I still don't know if I have any better chances of customizing my mech or if the interface will start making sense eventually. At least it feels like I'm piloting a mech, as opposed Hawken in which I'm a generic arena shooter dude with a jetpack that just happens to look like a mech.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken