Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 762674 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
I have the zip file downloaded to my desktop. I tried to open the Installer.exe, and it flashes for a split second, then nothing. I extracted the file to my FS2 file, and I get the same thing. There are alot of files listed under the Installer.exe file in Winzip. Do I choose the top one, the installer exe. and run it? It didn't work.- now what did I do wrong? :confused:

Did you extract ALL the files before you ran the .exe? They're not in there just for looks.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
hello

i run the installer with java on a linux-system... therefore i had no choice to select some options...
so the installation runs and runs since 10:00 today =(

at the moment the installer got 2.2 GB - how much till the installer is complete?

and can I close the installer before the installation is finished to start it tomorrow again?
(so checked the installer the downloaded file and start tomorrow with the next new one, or will the installer install the temporary downloaded files again?)

I have to go to bed, now  :sigh:

(please excuse the bad english - i am no native speeker, i am german and write english is a little bid difficulty)

Well, have you installed fs2 at all in your lifetime with the normal cd's? fs2 vanilla with everything off of the cd's comes in at 2.2gb usually, after that the core files has everything stripped away that's unecessary such as old readme's that came with the game and stuff, after that there's the combination of scp enhanced everything that gets installed along with god knows what campaigns you wanted to install also. I have all of the ogg cutscenes, all of the scp stuff, and fsport, derelict, and the fs2 campaign, after installation it is 3.2gb in size for the install directory. So Final, keep the installer running, i was running mine for like 8 hours based on my connection speed, and how fast the server i was downloading everything capped my download speed.
Keep it running, the installer does include how far it's gotten on the files it's currently downloading. This is not a tiny game, and the fact that a tiny installer was created to install a high quality big size game to me is amazing. If i want to give the game to anybody all i really need to do is distribute the best working installer.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

hello

i run the installer with java on a linux-system... therefore i had no choice to select some options...
so the installation runs and runs since 10:00 today =(

at the moment the installer got 2.2 GB - how much till the installer is complete?

and can I close the installer before the installation is finished to start it tomorrow again?
(so checked the installer the downloaded file and start tomorrow with the next new one, or will the installer install the temporary downloaded files again?)

I have to go to bed, now  :sigh:

(please excuse the bad english - i am no native speeker, i am german and write english is a little bid difficulty)

It is not a good idea to close the installer as far as i know.

the only question i got, was the installation-folder... nothing else :/

i run the .jar with sun-java 1.5 from the Ubuntu-GUI.
a gray box appeare, with the question for the installation-folder, after setting up this i got two buttons start and abort

there are no other questions, like in the windows-version on windows xp
i wondered myself as i start the installation on Linux(Ubuntu)

:confused:
I just tried the new GUI installer myself on Gentoo at Turey's request, and it works fine for me.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Installer updated.

Now, the Installer overwrites the line it's on when it's showing download progress. So you see:
Code: [Select]
Getting next entry, 5% Done.
instead of

Code: [Select]
Getting next entry, 0% Done.
Getting next entry, 1% Done.
Getting next entry, 2% Done.
Getting next entry, 3% Done.
Getting next entry, 4% Done.
Getting next entry, 5% Done.

Be warned: This will not work correctly if your horizontal screen buffer isn't large enough. To fix this (on windows), right-click on the top of the window, go to properties, layouut tab, and change the Width entry in Screen Buffer Size to something larger, like 150.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Hey, nifty, it has a GUI. :D

I'm trying it from Kubuntu64 and it seemed to work fine. Granted, I didn't install anything because all I need are the Linux binaries.
-C

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Question:  If a new mod is released and the Installer can download it, what do I have to do to get it?  Re-run the installer, give it my FS2 directory again, then choose "Update Installed Features Only" or "Update All Features" ?  And, if it's "Update All Features", it won't re-download stuff I already have, right?  And how do I tell if something needs to be updated?  Will it ask at all, or just skip up-to date features?

To make it simple: pretend a new mod was released, called Newmod, and another was updated, say FSPort.  What would I do?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Speaking of fs2 on linux since i'm a kubuntu user. I wonder how development on the 3.6.9 linux release is going and whether or not the gtk launcher that was being created is still being translated into english. Until then, windows for fs2 since i don't know how to run wine.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

If you click "no" when it asks you if you want to go to the download page for openAL the installer quits.

Actually, it quits when you say yes too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:53:51 am by Uninvited »
Consider, friend, as you pass by, as you are now, so once was I.
As I am now, you too shall be. Prepare, therefore, to follow me.

-- Scottish tombstone epitaph

I get exactly the same message. :( I was running the installer last night from a new install (original CDs, somewhat dusty!); it didn't like the java version for some reason - it asked me what I wanted to install and then quit only downloading about 1mb worth of stuff. I then tried the 20mb installer and it ran perfectly... until I ran out of space on my HD and started to get errors. I quickly deleted some stuff and the installer continued, skipping a few components. After it finished installing I think it asked about OpenAL then quit (at least I think so, it was the early hours of the morning!). I shut the machine down for the night.

Now when I run the installer it asks for the directory and update options, throws up a few lines of text in the DOS window (see below) and then I am told that I haven't installed OpenAL and would I like to go to the download page. As with Uninvited above, clicking on either will quit the installer. Perhaps there isn't a problem and things are just quitting because I have everything I am supposed to install, but my FS2 directory is only 3.79GB and everything is supposed to have been installed. Any ideas?

edit: Just to say that the main culprit appears to be an inproperly installed FSPort (it won't show up in the launcher mods)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 11:35:14 am by Bouchehog »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Question:  If a new mod is released and the Installer can download it, what do I have to do to get it?  Re-run the installer, give it my FS2 directory again, then choose "Update Installed Features Only" or "Update All Features" ?  And, if it's "Update All Features", it won't re-download stuff I already have, right?  And how do I tell if something needs to be updated?  Will it ask at all, or just skip up-to date features?

To make it simple: pretend a new mod was released, called Newmod, and another was updated, say FSPort.  What would I do?

You would re-run the Installer, give it your FreeSpace2 directory. If you just wanted to update the stuff already installed by the Installer, you'd select "Installed Features only", say if you wanted to get the new version of FSPort.

If you wanted to get Newmod and FSPort, you'd select "All Features".

If you click "no" when it asks you if you want to go to the download page for openAL the installer quits.

Actually, it quits when you say yes too.

It's the very last thing the Installer does. It's supposed to quit on both answers. The only difference is that "Yes" is supposed to bring up a browser window with the OpenAL download page.

I am told that I haven't installed OpenAL and would I like to go to the download page.

Actually, it says IF you don't have OpenAL, then would you like to bring up the download page. Until I have a reliable way of checking for the existance of OpenAL on ALL systems, the message will appear every time you run the Installer.

As with Uninvited above, clicking on either will quit the installer. Perhaps there isn't a problem and things are just quitting because I have everything I am supposed to install, but my FS2 directory is only 3.79GB and everything is supposed to have been installed. Any ideas?

If you want to make sure that you have everything, simply delete FreeSpace2\Installer\installedversions.txt

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You would re-run the Installer, give it your FreeSpace2 directory. If you just wanted to update the stuff already installed by the Installer, you'd select "Installed Features only", say if you wanted to get the new version of FSPort.

If you wanted to get Newmod and FSPort, you'd select "All Features".

Thx, Turey  :D

You sir are a legend of unparalleled proportions! Deleting installedversions.txt has forced it to recheck everything properly: I was indeed missing a great many files (which are happily downloading now!). I do wonder if this might throw some people who encounter a similar problem with their installs. Also, my apologies for mis-reading the OpenAL message - perhaps a wait command on the installer telling me that it's all done would be helpful to others.

Anyway, absolutely superb work - a great many thanks!

Ok, I understand that OpenAL runs last.

The problem was that it didn't ask me everything that I wanted to download before I went to OpenAL. That's fixed now that I deleted installed versions.

The only things it asked me if I wanted to get were:
FS2 Retail
FS2 Demo
Multiplayer Maps
Multiplayer Voice Pack
Mac Binaries
.MVE or .OGG Cutscenes for FS1 and FS2
then OpenAL

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Ok, I understand that OpenAL runs last.

The problem was that it didn't ask me everything that I wanted to download before I went to OpenAL. That's fixed now that I deleted installed versions.

The only things it asked me if I wanted to get were:
FS2 Retail
FS2 Demo
Multiplayer Maps
Multiplayer Voice Pack
Mac Binaries
.MVE or .OGG Cutscenes for FS1 and FS2
then OpenAL

The only way that it'll skip a section is if you installed that section with the installer before, and there has not been a change since.

The fact that deleting installedversions.txt fixed your problem only proves this further.

I wiped my old install folder, did a fresh install of FS2, downloaded the newest .exe with the gui, and used it to install scp. It happened as above.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
How'd you install FreeSpace 2?

Retail cds

Offline Hinge

Uh, I'm getting a 404 on the 20 mb installer. Why's that?

Neither installer will work for me, 404's on both :(