Author Topic: Medieval RPG?  (Read 5374 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Right, I'm glad they're doing that too, but as it stands they're just playing catchup with The Witcher, Planescape: Torment, and other games of the like.

As for this:

They're still for the most part impressions drawn from a single scene.

The whole "don't know until you play it" thing seems a bit at odds with the idea of trusting game journalists, which itself seems to verge on being an oxymoron.

The best work done on 'Bioware' games has been by other studios.
Care to justify that?

I don't quite understand the hostility here, I'm sorry if I gave offense.

I think good game journalists are our best source for impressions until we get the game itself. For the most part, these journalists' feelings about games pre-release have jived very nicely with mine post-release.

As for justifying it - put simply, Baldur's Gate II, Planescape Torment, Fallout, KOTOR II, all had fantastic writing (though in KOTOR II's case, arguably inferior storytelling) as compared to pure-Bioware games. And remember, I'm just talking about the writing here.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I don't think The Witcher really belongs in a discussion of quality writing. It's a great and unique story with some wonderful moments, but the writing is decidedly inferior to most BioWare games, let alone Black Isle/Obsidian.

That said, I do agree. What BioWare does is tell uninventive stories very well. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, though, considering how light the industry is on quality storytelling.

Dragon Age, now - that's a bizarre business. My expectations remain high. The marketing just seems like a bid to ensure sales are strong on an otherwise fairly risky new property, and perhaps I've missed the good ones but I haven't been moved by any journalist impressions either. But more than anything it just boils down to a trust in BioWare. I trust the company's philosophy, I trust the writers who work for it, and the idea of a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate influenced by GRRM is something I couldn't be more sold on.

All in all, the lead up to its release has been very uneven and I don't feel like anybody outside of BioWare has an accurate picture of the product yet. I suppose we'll see.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That I can all agree with.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I'm still waiting for some evidence for Black Isle taking a significant role in writing for BG2.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Ah, that's what you wanted support on? I'm afraid I can't provide any; I'd just assumed it based on Bioware's track record since.

People seem to be reacting very defensively to my earlier posts. I'm a huge fan of Mass Effect, and I'll probably enjoy Dragon Age. I'm honestly a little startled by the venom of these responses.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Pretty much your entire attitude is based off blatant generalisations based on previews of unknown quality making similar generalisations based on one scene chosen by an utterly retarded marketing strategy probably instigated by EA.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Just about everyone's previews of it are based on an unknown quantity, you can't say that talking to the devs at Bioware is any less biased than an 'alleged' smear campaign by EA? Do you think they are going to say, 'Well, we tried, but it's ****'.?

Now, no-ones stated that you aren't allowed to like the game, and GB is as much entitled to his own opinions based on hearsay as anyone else, I note he is not attacking you for liking the game, so I don't understand why people are attacking him for expressing concerns.

Now, I think some people in here need to calm down, it's a game, it's not even been released yet, and already people are yelling at other people for daring to say it might not be as good as people hope?

Just wow...

Edit: I'm going to leave this unlocked for now, but let's be a little less aggressive, eh?

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Good, we're back to everyone's opinion is equally invalid!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
We're back to 'stop acting up or the thread gets locked' actually.

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
OHH OHH! FIRE EMBLEM YEAH!
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
This really isn't serving a purpose any more.

And fix the signature, it's ridiculous :P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Good, we're back to everyone's opinion is equally invalid!

Well, like I said at the beginning, we can't be sure of the quality of the game until we actually get our hands on it...which seems to be exactly what you're arguing in your attacks on my posts...which is odd, because that disclaimer has been in my posts since the second or third one on the topic.

It's strange, I'm usually very much in agreement with everything you post, and it's a little hurtful that you assumed I was just consigning the game to the rubbish bin when in fact I'd made it clear the whole time that my mind was open.

Probably just a misunderstanding, but I wish you'd been less kneejerk about it. I've been on your side this whole time, but in return I get told that 'my attitude is based off blatant generalizations' when the whole time I've been trying to present a fairly nuanced and open opinion without simply resorting to that old trap of plurality, 'all opinions are equally invalid.'

Oh, I see the thread is locked. Ah well, going up anyway, I think it's a fine coda.