Author Topic: New campaign!!!!  (Read 13028 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ladies and gentlemen, I present...

Deus Ex Machina
A FreeSpace 2 Campaign

Story

You're a new recruit to the NTF, and you've come at a crucial time for the survival of the rebellion. GTVA attacks have been severely damaging morale. Pilots are frustrated. Wingmen are dying. It's up to you, Alpha 1, to save the day again.

Your squadron, the 47th Red Shirts, has been called in on a mission of utmost importance. Allied raiding parties have seized several shipments of Bosch Beer, and the Bosch shipping lanes are in danger of falling to GTVA control. The Admiral wants the shipping lanes secured at all costs.

Your job won't be easy, pilot. Command bureaucracy, continuity glitches, and impossible mission goals abound. Your wingmen are incompetent. Your fighter is a piece of junk. And, as usual, you're the only pilot who uses his own brain. Are you up to the challenge?

Features
  • Encounter the Colossus, the Sathanas, AND the Lucifer all in the same campaign!
  • Watch Allied Command reach a landmark new level of stupidity!
  • See Alpha 1's wingmen all die in the first 30 seconds!
  • Witness when ETAK first goes on-line!
  • Meet the mission designer face to face!
  • Plot holes!
  • Surprises!
  • And much, much more!

This campaign is more or less a parody of Freespace.  I got a good deal of inspiration from the forums here, especially from the Aeolus thread a while back: e.g. "We've got two incoming cargo containers!  Scramble the fighters, this is gonna be rough!" :D It's quite short, only five missions long - with two of the missions acting as cutscenes.  Nevertheless, I think it's fun. :) Go here to download, and tell me what you think. :cool:

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Originally posted by Goober5000

Encounter the Colossus, the Sathanas, AND the Lucifer all in the same campaign!
Cliched ships, and i hate the colossus
Watch Allied Command reach a landmark new level of stupidity!
Why? thats not really fun
See Alpha 1's wingmen all die in the first 30 seconds!
How is that useful
Witness when ETAK first goes on-line!
It already went online, didn't you play talking in tounge (sp?)
Meet the mission designer face to face!
why? your all ugly nerds
Plot holes!
Those are what you hope to eliminate
Surprises!
Lets hope so, this is a basic
And much, much more!
I sure hope its none of this crap

"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/
Bleh... I guess it's good to have one of these every once in a while but I'm more partial to the 'serious' campaigns. ;)

BTW: I rolled on the floor when I saw the mission objective 'Cure Cancer'. :lol:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ooh goody, replies! :cool:

vadar_1: It's a parody; it includes the cliches in order to make fun of them. :rolleyes: Play it.  You might like what happens to the Colossus. :)

Joey_21: The problem with the serious campaigns is that none of them are done yet. ;) I think it's cool to have minicampaigns released every once in a while.  And I think we need more comedic campaigns; AFAIK mine is the only one that's ever been released.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2002, 10:11:33 pm by 561 »

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
impressive goober...i like your sense of humor; its kinda like mine ;)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thank you very much! :D

Read the readme.txt file for links to where on the HLPBB I got some of the inspiration for stuff. :)

Offline Joey_21

Joey_21: The problem with the serious campaigns is that none of them are done yet. ;) I think it's cool to have minicampaigns released every once in a while.  And I think we need more comedic campaigns; AFAIK mine is the only one that's ever been released.

One thing about parodies though is that they're easy to make up a story for. Plus they do not make very long play, ya know (I finished it under an hour). :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Joey_21
One thing about parodies though is that they're easy to make up a story for.

I suppose so...but then why don't we see more of them? ;)

Plus they do not make very long play, ya know (I finished it under an hour). :D

Meh, unfortunately true.  (BUT were you able to finish it without looking at the readme file for hints? ;))

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This looks great; now all you need to add in is a mission parser error. :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by CP5670
...now all you need to add in is a mission parser error. :D

AUGH!

*runs away*

:p ;)

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Originally posted by vadar_1
You're being an asshole.  Stop being an asshole.

Reminds me of a semi-joke campaign I was going to make.  No NTF rebellion, Bosch was going to be on the Colossus as the CO so you'd have some weird twists on original missions.  Plus, I could hack and slash :v: dialogue for it. :D
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Re: Re: New campaign!!!!
Originally posted by Shrike
Reminds me of a semi-joke campaign I was going to make.  No NTF rebellion, Bosch was going to be on the Colossus as the CO so you'd have some weird twists on original missions.  Plus, I could hack and slash :v: dialogue for it. :D

Sounds like it would be fun. :) Make it, if you get the opportunity - I'd play it. :D

btw, any chance I could get the first post listed as a main page announcement?

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Drop windrunner a line, he'll put it up.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!

• Watch Allied Command reach a landmark new level of stupidity!
  • [/B]

I'm gonna download it just for that! I don't see how that can be possible, so I want to be proved otherwise!
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Yeah, I like these comedy missions.  I have already done one that isn't so much a mission as a cutscene, based around the troubles of the Freespace sector, and have another planned from a conversation.  If you guys would like, I could sub-host all of these comic little campaigns on a page in the ITHOV space.  I really don't mind, and I was going to have a page for my comedic work anyway.  Any takers?
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
:lol: That was fantastic! I loved it!

New smilies?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Just finished playing it. It had some really good LMAO times. Such as the Gratuitious Sathanas Appearance. And the Q-like Mission Designer. And the newbie mission. And the beam-free-all pun was just magnificent. And there were more.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Joey_21

I suppose so...but then why don't we see more of them? ;)

Now if you can't figure that out...:doubt:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thor: Fine with me.  I was wondering about putting it up in my T-V war directory too, once I get FTP access.

GalacticEmperor: New smilies?  Hmm... :drevil: Such as? ;7

Thanks all, for the feedback! :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
karajorma noticed a small bug in mission 1 that would sometimes cause it to not red-alert properly.  This has now been fixed.