Author Topic: Node Maps R Us  (Read 12912 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
*whistles* If it wouldn't trouble anyone, I'd really like some feedback on my LSD map.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by Joey_21:
  *ahem* Intercrap has the MVE encoder.    

BTW: I remember reading that there were a bunch of errors made by intercrap such as the Manticore firing in the wrong positions and the Lucifer with beams on the side. There was also the Hades crashed onto a planet in Deneb.

[This message has been edited by Joey_21 (edited 12-11-2001).]

What the hell? Interplay converts the video, they doesn't make it!!! You should learn the difference between developpers and editors.
Being angry at interplay for things like how they deal with the fs2 license, ok. Geat angry at them for things they have nothing to do about, that's something else. Don't be ridiculous, it's like blaming Adobe last time you did a crappy pic in photoshop.
SCREW CANON!

Offline joek

• Heh heh... not funny.
    • http://www.joek.com/

Originally posted by Setekh:
*whistles* If it wouldn't trouble anyone, I'd really like some feedback on my LSD map.  

I like the artsy map   ... though seeing it now I am wanting to see it in Flash (to zoom in on text, and it would be cool when you're zoomed in to click on a node and it would scroll the map to the corresponding node, plus the node lines could be wavy and more LSD-ish  ).

Originally posted by venom2506:
...it's like blaming Adobe last time you did a crappy pic in photoshop.

Joe.

------------------
No, he's not back for real, just popping his head in to say "hello" while on break from classes.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
I would post my nodemaps, but they would all give away plot info.

What i will say is this: I did take Icefire's nodemap and modify it to some degree. While the systems past Tau and the systems past Mintaka are there in my nodemap, the Tau-Sirius node that was formed during Derelict has destabilized back to its original state.

I also added systems past Adhara. But you won't see any of those until the third campaign...  
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by Mad Bomber:
I would post my nodemaps, but they would all give away plot info.

What i will say is this: I did take Icefire's nodemap and modify it to some degree. While the systems past Tau and the systems past Mintaka are there in my nodemap, the Tau-Sirius node that was formed during Derelict has destabilized back to its original state.

I also added systems past Adhara. But you won't see any of those until the third campaign...    

well, basically,I took Icefire map (didn't know it had additional systems then), and just renamed Tau Eridani to Tau Ceti.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/

What the hell? Interplay converts the video, they doesn't make it!!! You should learn the difference between developpers and editors.
Being angry at interplay for things like how they deal with the fs2 license, ok. Geat angry at them for things they have nothing to do about, that's something else. Don't be ridiculous, it's like blaming Adobe last time you did a crappy pic in photoshop.

My point is that it had to have been interplay because Volition wouldn't make so many mistakes. Volition is the developer and they should know how they developed the ships into the game.  

Offline Nico

• Venom

My point is that it had to have been interplay because Volition wouldn't make so many mistakes. Volition is the developer and they should know how they developed the ships into the game.  

I can understand, but sadly, volition makes mistakes (they're human after all).
The worst exemple? The silent threat soundtrack. For some reason, in the first release, the soundtrack didn't work. So, the europeans got a version w/o the music. The V guys didn't even try to find what was wrong. And you know how easy it was to fix the pb? just to move the entries in the music.tbl at the end of the list...
Oh, another lill mistake: the manticore weapons are switched (missiles/lasers) in the intro.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html

Originally posted by ^Graff:
There's one in this forum, isn't it?  "The Stars of Freespace"?

Yeah, I posted it a bit back.  I'm not going to look for it for you, though.

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/

I can understand, but sadly, volition makes mistakes (they're human after all).
The worst exemple? The silent threat soundtrack. For some reason, in the first release, the soundtrack didn't work. So, the europeans got a version w/o the music. The V guys didn't even try to find what was wrong. And you know how easy it was to fix the pb? just to move the entries in the music.tbl at the end of the list...
Oh, another lill mistake: the manticore weapons are switched (missiles/lasers) in the intro.

Well, sad but true and I can't disagree there.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Anyone notice that small thing with the strength ratings for the Hecate's turrets? It seems that they accidentally made turrets 2 and 3 really strong (1.875), while leaving turret 6 at 0.625. (if you look at the way it was done it is pretty obvious that they wanted to make all of the big cannons on the top really strong)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by joek:

Joe.

Heh, thanks Joe. I was thinking of maybe making it into Flash... but I'm no good at that.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nico

• Venom

Well, sad but true and I can't disagree there.

I love to be right   (that doesn't happen that often...)

SCREW CANON!

Offline joek

• Heh heh... not funny.
OK... I just kinda made another nodemap. From Setekh's funky nodemap I thought about what it would be like to make other funky nodemaps. Then I though about what a Shivan nodemap might look like (since they know so much more about subspace than us)... and that kinda made me think (off on a tangent) about that map in Time Bandits (anyone see that movie?). Then I thought, what about a map that looked funky, like viewing node-geometry from subspace (ie. what causes nodes to form)...

And from all of that, I started to make this (linked because of file size).

I basically ran with the idea of "what if nodes are caused by the interactions of some type of gravitational 'sphere of influence' of stars", with nodes forming in stable vortexes(sp?) (kinda like the Great Red Spot on Jupiter) between these spheres.

So, anyone like, or is my idea crazy.  

Joe.

------------------
No, he's not back for real, just popping his head in to say "hello" while on break from classes.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Joe, the link is down...  

------------------
FRED Zone's Grammar editor/ FS history moderator
Former member of TCA
Member in good standing of 99th Skulls
Honorary member of TCS and UGC

"I created your civilization...now I will destroy it!"
--Ra, the Sun God
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by Su-tehp:
Joe, the link is down...  

? no, it's not  
well, it's... unreadable, but cool anyway  
why did you centered it on Wolf tho?

SCREW CANON!

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom

That was the case in the FS1 intro as well. So, I decided to modify the Manticore's POF and TBL and switch its guns/missles around. You'll see the new Manticore in the Eden Project.  
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by Mad Bomber:
That was the case in the FS1 intro as well. So, I decided to modify the Manticore's POF and TBL and switch its guns/missles around. You'll see the new Manticore in the Eden Project.  

well, i found out, while playing HT, that the way the primaries are put on the manticore gives it (surprisingly), an excellent accuracy, I hardly missed a shot.

SCREW CANON!

Uh, how much like the V one does I have to be. I've developed one from FS1 that follows the command brief .ani's and other sources as close as it can. Although it is very similar to the offical node map, it has got *some* changes.

------------------
'The more women there are about, the softer a wise man steps.' Saying in Arad Doman.

'Well, since the whole loaf won't be mine, I will settle for whatever slices fall my way.' - Mazrim Taim

Why not visit the Time of Change website? Well once I get back up that is.
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Why not visit the Time of Change website?

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Offline joek

• Heh heh... not funny.

? no, it's not  
well, it's... unreadable, but cool anyway  
why did you centered it on Wolf tho?

If the link is down, it may just because my site is still in limbo for your ISP (I transfered my domain name just the other day, so the switch might still have to propigate to some ISPs).

But I've updated the image to give a little intro to what's going on to make my crazy idea more understandable.  

Joe.

------------------

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Joe, there's a problem with your map. From the way it looks, the jump nodes seem like they are outside their respective solar systems. Although it's a fun idea, a gravitational "intersection" in interstellar space (the space between star systems) is NOT where nodes form; all the nodes in FS1 and 2 have only been seen to form INSIDE a solar system, namely within a few Astronomical Units(AU) of a particular star. (1 AU = distance from the Sun to Earth's orbit, BTW)

Your map seems like these nodes would appear several light-years away from a star, making it useless to jump ships. Subspace jump technology only works for jumping within a solar system or from one solar system to another, NOT into the vast space BETWEEN solar systems.

Jump nodes only form near stars, even in the case of the FS2 nebula; you can see a star in some of the nebula missions. I've never heard of a node that forms in the space outside of a solar system.  

------------------
FRED Zone's Grammar editor/ FS history moderator
Former member of TCA
Member in good standing of 99th Skulls
Honorary member of TCS and UGC

"I created your civilization...now I will destroy it!"
--Ra, the Sun God
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast