Author Topic: Drones in combat  (Read 8749 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
On a side note, it's kind of strange that in the future(according to the FS Universe) AIs will not be good enough to be effectively used to create drones.
Yeah I agree.

Offline ShivanSpS

Someone knows what happen when the Russians used Dogs with AT mines to destroy German tanks in WW2?

Well this is the same problem, if you going to do a kamikaze attack you better do it yourselft. Try a "cheap" mean and you may get a surprise.

Offline Daniel P

• CEO Of Dan Tech
Why use missiles instead of Drones to destroy a target.
Modding Freespace 1 and 2 seance 2005.

Offline ShivanSpS

Why use missiles instead of Drones to destroy a target.

A drone can carry a bigger warhead.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Programmed drones aren't exactly the same thing, though...

And aren't torpedoes a form of programmed, mobile weapons tasked to "go kamikaze" on a target? The point is that, one way or another, you will always have to rely on technology to win an interstellar war. You can't take down ships with fists.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Programmed drones aren't exactly the same thing, though...

And aren't torpedoes a form of programmed, mobile weapons tasked to "go kamikaze" on a target? The point is that, one way or another, you will always have to rely on technology to win an interstellar war. You can't take down ships with fists.

Technology is a big part of it but it's not all of the equation.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
It's the most important thing. You may have good leaders, soldiers and pilots but unless you have good technology as well you won't achieve anything. As I said, you can't take out ships with fists.

*unless your nick is Mobius :p*
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's the most important thing. You may have good leaders, soldiers and pilots but unless you have good technology as well you won't achieve anything. As I said, you can't take out ships with fists.
Not true (in FS terms).

In FS1, the Terrans and Vasudans were completely outclassed. They couldn't touch the Shivans - They couldn't even see them. The Shivans were so far ahead in terms of technology, and yet the GTA and PVN were able to fight back and turn their own stuff against them.

Ok, sure, they had to steal their technology in the end to win, but you get me point.

My thoughts:

Missiles would use the same complicated AI that Drones would. They use the same sensors to find their target.

So there are those 30 drones attacking the GTD Orion. The Orion launches a dozen countermeasures the size of cargo containers, heavily armored, and dumbfired in the direction of the Typhon. One of them hits it's target, docks with it, and gets sprayed by bombs, missiles, 'lazers' and finally the Vasudan drones themselves. Once the CM container gets destroyed, every projectile will hit the Typhon.

Now the GTA, who are attacking with some GTF Angels and GTB Apollos (flame me for using ships that have never been seen as .pof's  :p), will not have the problem of their strike craft returning to base, shooting each and every weapon they have when a cargo container described "PVD Typhon" on the sensors flies by...

(I actually hope to see something like this in the next JAD  ;7)

And if the Vasudans wanted to hack into the GTA fighters, I'll bet there is a switch somewhere that physically blocks writing in the strike craft's memory. And if that fails, there's this switch that turns the autopilot off which should work too.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
GTF Angels and GTB Apollos (flame me for using ships that have never been seen as .pof's  :p)
Wat.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
(I actually hope to see something like this in the next JAD  ;7)

I just want to SEE a next JAD. :P

GTF Angels and GTB Apollos (flame me for using ships that have never been seen as .pof's  :p)
Wat.

Right, there was a GTF Angel modeled... but I never heard of the 2 seater Apollo from the FS 1 intro being made.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Um, the BSG analogy is a pile of BS...

1.) They had infiltrators in the Colonies working with the latest Colonial tech for months.
2.) No doubt rebuilt mock ups at their home base systems for testing.
3.) Had Trojan program in place thanks to Adar and Baltar.

Thus once in range just sending the Trojan command opened the back door to any command they wanted.
primarily the "SHUT DOWN", or  critical fail type command was used.

That took 1 year+ of planning and implementation.

Not to mention they themselves were the pinnacle of AI and electronic tech at the time and had plenty of old Colonial tech salvaged to experiment on.

I highly doubt any competently designed system will be hacked by an unknown tech base in the duration of a dogfight. (barring debris salvaged and then the amount of time it takes for said salvagers to break down , analyze, and then devise new strategies to exploit any weaknesses in said tech...)

I'm not saying you start running on a clock once you use such a strategy, but you do have a window where as long as you win you don't have to worry about the tech being compromised...

Nuff said.

I'm gonna have to bone up on drone knowledge especially since the MacII forces use several drones on board their fighters as well as the other factions have "Ghost" variants so while not FS2, it is STILL related enough to mention (Drone combat). Drones are used as a FORCE MULTIPLIER.

GTVA either doesn't believe the effort would be worth the cost, or that maybe it's too vulnerable at this point aside from training purposes.

OR it's entirely possible it simply hasn't occired to them yet...  :drevil:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:34:53 pm by Getter Robo G »
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline ShivanSpS

I dont know... i think the Athena was already in service along with the Angel and the Apollo... its just, the Athena description suggest is not a new development...

I mean there is no trace, ANYWHERE, about a GTB Apollo, just the intro vid, and even so, that pilot was alone, and in a patrol mission when attacked... so i think all of this about the GTB Apollo its just a myth, and just a mistake in the video... (one more of the 132982134).

Lets call the mythbusters ¿?

There is actually a GTB Apollo somewhere on HLP. Made by GalEmp, IIRC.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Not true (in FS terms).

In FS1, the Terrans and Vasudans were completely outclassed. They couldn't touch the Shivans - They couldn't even see them. The Shivans were so far ahead in terms of technology, and yet the GTA and PVN were able to fight back and turn their own stuff against them.

Ok, sure, they had to steal their technology in the end to win, but you get me point.

My point was different.

I was saying that technology is important and is the key to fight an interstellar war - without it you can't even damage ships in the first place. Technological superiority is another matter.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey is it not the TAG A and TAG B missiles that you use to target paint your enemy an so provide actual targeting coord's for the AAAF weaponty of the friendly ship ?

If terran tech was so easy to hack into by the shivans then the least they could do is hack into the computer that control's targeting for the AAAF weaponry and turn them against the GTVA???

I believe ppl have watched too much BSG and are using the same logic here. However there is a huge difference here. The Shivan's were not created by man and are not some super computer nerds/toasters!
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Maybe the Shivans don't care? Or maybe don;t even recognise that level of tech (too low).

We just don't know enough about the Shivans as a culture or mindset.

personally I liek to believe they are a extermination unit for containing something else goen out fo control, or just doing "collateral damage" on a scale that the makers deem as "minimal". :)

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
If you want remote controll of a dron with minimal hacking suceptability, just use a line-of-sight lazer link, the controll ship would have to have a multitude of these, and if the drone was passing out of sight from it's transmitter, it would recive a swich code, then the transmitters would switch and would give a verification code.  If the beam is broken without the switch code it activates a self-destruct.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
You have as much of  a chance to reprogram a drone in combat before it kills you as you have a chance to reprogram a cruise missile to turn around and kill whatever launched it.