Poll

Do you use Intelgrated graphics for FS2?

Yes (Old generations)
7 (7.6%)
Yes (i3 and i5 processor integrated)
7 (7.6%)
No (Nvidia)
41 (44.6%)
No (ATI)
37 (40.2%)
No (Different option)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Voting closed: April 02, 2011, 01:23:37 pm

Author Topic: Poll: Intelgrated/Graphics Options  (Read 8590 times)

Re: Poll: Intelgrated/Graphics Options
GeForce 9800 GTX

Offline Kolgena

Radeon 3650 HD mobility. 30% overclock, since the OEM underclocked it by a huge chunk.

Runs the game mostly fine at 1080p maxed out. Things chug when lots of hull is in the scene (due to new fragment shaders) and from head.anis.

Offline swamper123

• Just call me Swamper
Wow , I envy your video cards xD
Let's play Blue Planet

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
NVIDIA 9600 GSO

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Nvidia 260GTX, bought it as a quick replacement for my dead 8800GTX
Will get something new when I upgrade my pc (soonish)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Discrete. nVidia GeForce GTX 295. She purrs like a walrus when running FS Open (especially BP), but the gameplay is butter smooth.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
the results of the poll are ****ing hilarious.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Why, because it says basically we can say "too bad" to all (5 of) the poor sods with intelgrated chips and tell them to get something that isn't crap? :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Aramil

• Can you smell fear?
Nvidia GeForce GTS250-1Gb-Zalman Cooled, Over-Clocked here (GPU:821Mhz; Memory:1102Mhz; Shader:1944Mhz), Running MVP Advanced without problems.

Probably a little to much info but thought it might help especially as people may have modded cards. :beamz:

Edit: I used to have an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT, which worked ok (did not work with MVP Advanced to slow)

CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13Ghz; RAM:DDR2@333Mhz 4096Mb

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:53:14 am by Aramil »
"Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most."

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Used to have Radeon 4870 1GB, got tired of it's loud fan so swapped it recently to Radeon 6850 1GB, Asus DirectCU. Why is this even a poll? Screw intelgrated users or anyone with pre-DirectX 9/OpenGL 2.1 cards. What is obsolete is obsolete.

Still, don't be too obsessed with video card. As long as it's decent OpenGL 2.1 (DirectX9) compatible card, it shouldn't have performance problems. I'd be more concerned with CPU performance once OGL 2.1 specification is met.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Fury, you're just being an elitist asshole here. You know that, right ?

First, we don't necessarily all have the money to buy ourselves high-end computers. Second, think about netbook users, netbooks with real GPUs are prohibitively expensive. Third, if you just think "screw them", then screw you.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I'm always an asshole and I don't really care either. FSO doesn't need a high-end computer, a decent discrete graphics cards doesn't cost much. Brand-new low-end discrete graphics card can cost as little as 50€ and probably as much in USD since europeans always get screwed over with product prices. You can get much better discrete card for same price if you buy an used one.

If you cannot afford that, then how can you afford to keep the computer on as it uses electricity? And netbooks? Really? Seriously? Reality check fails you. If a mod runs on intelgrated without problems, then great. If not, so what. They've chosen their fate and I don't see why mod developers need to go out of their way to indulge them.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I'm always an asshole and I don't really care either. FSO doesn't need a high-end computer, a decent discrete graphics cards doesn't cost much. Brand-new low-end discrete graphics card can cost as little as 50€ and probably as much in USD since europeans always get screwed over with product prices. You can get much better discrete card for same price if you buy an used one.

you fail there fury, take my rig as an example, the mobo only supports upto  AGP x8 so the very best i can put in my rig is a GF 7series, to upgrade beyond that would require new mobo and chip as well as the card also probably need new hard drive and optical drives as they are all IDE, believe me i would love to upgrade but finances with my family don't go to that far.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
So what's stopping you from getting Radeon 3650, 4650 or GF7 AGP variants? All should be available somewhere close(ish) 50 bucks, used ones below. And all of them smoke any intelgrateds by far. AGP slot isn't an excuse. You were saying?

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M on my Mac... (and I have no idea what the difference is between integrated and discreet. :lol:)
For now only certain BP missions give me problems.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Basically, an integrated chip is hardwired into your motherboard and uses the system RAM as VRAM. This typically means that a portion of the system RAM is permanently assigned to the GPU. A discrete chip comes with dedicated RAM. For example, my old Laptop had an integrated Radeon X1250, which meant that 256MB of system RAM were unavailable, as it was used by the GPU. My current system, a Radeon Mobile 5470, comes with its own gig of RAM. Due to having to share memory bandwidth with the rest of the system, integrated GPUs are several orders of magnitude slower than their dedicated cousins (And Intel graphics chips suck ass in general anyway).

IMHO, while it's certainly good practice to make sure your mod runs playably on lower-end systems, you should not start to restrict yourself to catering only to the low end. I'm sorry, Intel users, but as Fury said, if you want to do real gaming, get better Hardware. For me, while it's certainly cool to know that FSO runs well n netbooks, that's more of a curiosity than a design goal.

For me, the lowest end one should try to design for are the few remaining cards that can handle OGL 2/DirectX 9c/Shader Model 2, everything below that means sacrificing a lot of potential prettyness on the altar of performance.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:44:52 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nnexxus

Radeon HD4890 here. The CPU is usually the bottleneck on my rig (a good old Core2duo E4400 with 2GB of RAM)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Radeon X1950 AGP desktop, HD 3200 PCI-E Integrated on laptop

Strange thing is I like nVidia better...

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
GeForce 8800 GT on my desktop. But this baby is slowly getting old :(

And my Notebook (which runs even WiH pretty smoothly) has a Geforce 320M chip integrated.
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."