Author Topic: RELEASE: Sol: A History Upgraded  (Read 109523 times)

Re: RELEASE: Sol: A History Upgraded
Quote from me from the testing thread (concerning mission 1):

During my first playthrough I didn't had any weapons in that mission. I didn't had the problem when playing the mission through the techroom. I restarted the campaign and it worked fine. 

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I guess I missed that one.  I'll try it again.  Thanks.

[EDIT]
Just tried it, but had no change.  I still had secondaries (as before), but no primaries.

Here's my mod file:

[launcher]
modname      = Sol: A History - 2018
image255x112 = SAH.bmp;
infotext     = Sol: A History: A prequel to Inferno, Blaise Russel's historical epic follows the political turmoil in Sol after its isolation from the colonies. Lengthy and challenging, S:AH is a major work by one of the community's most successful designers.
website      = http://inferno.hard-light.net/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=20.0;

[multimod]
primarylist = ;
secondarylist = FSPort-MediaVPs_2014, FSPort, MediaVPs_38;

It's almost as if my pilot isn't authorized to use any primaries.  I'm gonna try and change pilots.

[2nd EDIT]
I just tested it with a pilot that I've used with Port campaigns and VOILA... primaries are back.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:40:57 pm by Trivial Psychic »
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

It's because the previous pilot was already "saved" without all the missing starting weapons. A new pilot(or deleting the save files for the old one) gets around that issue.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Hmmm restarting the campaign through the campaign selection room did work for me. Is it possible that the starting weapon selection isn't loaded when a campaign is automatically selected via game_settings.tbl?

Offline mr.WHO

I noticed a strange thing in Act 4:
EAF Stentor is mentioned to be the latest and fastest fighter in Sol, yet I'm regulary outrun by Latonas and Alcaeuses - I can barelly keep up with them if I use afterburner.
I didn't use any extreme power setting (like 0 power to the engine) and in tables Latona max speed is 70, Alcaeus is 80 and Stentor is 98.

Yet in game, when I fly Stentor at 98 speed it looks like Latonas and Alcaueses just laught at me :(.
Is it possible something is wrong with direction speed change while doing frequent turns?

Works with the 20181021 build. But a bit whacky. Any ideas to run it more smoothly?

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So now I've got to play this with the fixed vps, and I've been enjoying it a lot, aside from a few missions that felt hard to me (which is not a fault of the upgrade - I probably had trouble with these missions in the original). I think there's a good balance between nostalgia and the introduction of new elements such as the unique ships for different factions and new dialogue/music. :)

Spoiler:
I was also pleased that Sons of War made the two asteroid stations not the two moons of Mars - that was a pretty ridiculous moment in the original S:AH. :p

There's a few minor issues that I wanted to report so far (I've played all but the final campaign):
  • Heat: The directive for destroying the Celerity lists "Destroy Footpad" instead of the correct name for the cruiser.
  • End of an Era: TAC 1 Armed 73 and TAC 1 Armed 74, docked to the Martian freighters Taurus 1 and Taurus 2, are incorrectly given an IFF of Friendly.
  • Balance of Power: Aquarius wing of JCF Latonas (i.e. Jovian IFF) is launched from the Tempest - either they are incorrectly designated or aren't actually supposed to arrive from there.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I've pushed out another iteration to fix the various small issues noted above, as well as to lock the Leviathan down to the older HTL version for now.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline mr.WHO

After update I can't run the mod: "Couldn't find executable - aborted".

I verified file integrity and didn't found anything, but I can no longer see FRED start options there.

Edit: Nevermind - FSO update o latest version fixed the issue.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:27:36 pm by mr.WHO »

Offline mr.WHO

OK, I finished an entire campaign and I think final mission is a bit too easy comparing to original.
Original was  constant 100% fight against wave and wave and wave of fighters and bombers.

Personally I'd throw another rag tag group of cruisers and freighters to take out by player (while Lindos mow the other one).
Also adding several more waves of fighters and bombers wouldn't hurt.

Overall this is great remake of great campaign.
I love the changes you made, the updates with INF:A ships and retconning to fit INF:Nostos storyline better.

The only thing I'd add is some next-gen rebel turrets, as FS1 blob turrets, even in greater numbers are nothing.
I love the rebel Phoenix V missile turrets are so deadly - in attack on Mars dual asteroids, that one gunship mow half of my wingmen in opening salvos - I felt fear in FS2 for the first time since very, very long ago and it wasn't Juggernaur, it was puny gunship!).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 03:19:16 am by mr.WHO »

Awesome to see S:AH is back! It looks great and I'm excited to play it, but text and models aren't loading for me. I can still play missions, but there's no briefing or mainhall text and the ships are invisible except for glowing parts and cockpits. I'm using the FSO 3.8.1-20181028 build that came with the Knossos install if that helps.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Are you using an AMD card?

Are you using an AMD card?

Yes, I'm using an AMD Radeon HD 7570

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
There's been a few reports with the same issue, all of the affected people use AMD Radeons. Apparently, AMD's OpenGL driver doesn't like the way FSO renders that part since it works fine on other cards.

I have no idea what the cause could be (since I don't know much about OpenGL) but hopefully a coder with an AMD card can look into the issue and fix it.

What version of the MediaVPS should this be using?

Offline CT27

What version of the MediaVPS should this be using?

In other words, can this work with 2014 or 2018 MediaVPs?

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
First of all, there are no 2018 MVPs.  There's only the 3.8 MVPs.  Yes I know this is nitpicky but as the recent thread shows, using a consistent versioning scheme helps those who don't really know what they're doing and who aren't using Knossos (even if they should be).
That being said, it should be compatible with the latest MVPs.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline CT27

First of all, there are no 2018 MVPs.  There's only the 3.8 MVPs.  Yes I know this is nitpicky but as the recent thread shows, using a consistent versioning scheme helps those who don't really know what they're doing and who aren't using Knossos (even if they should be).
That being said, it should be compatible with the latest MVPs.

Just to be sure, so it can work with the latest MVPs (3.8 as you say) and the ones released in 2014 (I think they're now called 3.7.2)?

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
On Knossos, it uses the 3.7.2 (formerly 2014) MVPs but is set up to be compatible with v3.8, so it should work with either.  I can't say for sure since I haven't played it, but that's how it's set up on Knossos.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

I tested it with the 3.8.x ones and it worked fine for me, but judging from the bug reports several other errors slipped by so I'm not entirely sure. :warp: