Author Topic: Joystick works in original FS2 but not FSO  (Read 696 times)

Offline kitto

Joystick works in original FS2 but not FSO
Hello everyone. I've spent hours trying to figure out why I can't use my joystick anymore with Freespace 2 Open. Its a THrustmaster T16000M that had been working fine until i installed a new M2 drive, and took out the Cmos battery in my PC to check it. The joystick shows up in Knossos settings, and Windows 11 too. No joystick in-game with Knossos, same thing with WX Launcher even though it shows in settings there too. One thing strange is the "Apply" button is grayed out on the settings boxes. The stick works fine in MS Flight Simulator 2020. I've reinstalled everything twice. Is there another launcher I can use? Any help appreciated.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: Joystick works in original FS2 but not FSO
For whatever reason an older version of the wxlauncher is still around on most places :lol:.

So download this file and extract it into the wxlaucher/bin folder.
The reason for this problem is, that the SDL2 version that is included in most wxlauncher releases is too old and so creates a different Device ID than the newer SDL2 version FSO expect.
So if you update the SDL2 version for wxlauncher the Device IDs matches again and it should be recognized at least ingame.

However Knossos should use a current SDL2 release and so the problem should not exist there if you can select it in the configuration... mh  :blah:
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline kitto

Hi thanks for the help. I don't know why Knossus doesn't see the stick. Well I had uninstalled WX Launcher before, so I reinstalled it and the FSO installer, but now it won't launch. The  box says application error (0xc000007b). I'm not sure if the folder structure is wrong. I originally had it installed thru GOG, then I switched to Steam to solve the joystick problem, now I went back to GOG. Maybe I should uninstall Knossos before using WX Launcher?

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Hello !

Had the same problem here, first unplug any other controller you have, then select your T-16000 in the second line in the "joystick" option, like in the attached image.

Hope it will help !
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline kitto

Thanks for that info Satelight! I was putting it in Joystick 0 instead of 1, but how would i know? I'll let you know when it works.

Offline kitto

Yes it works. I reinstalled everything, and selected Joystick 1 instead of 0 in Knossos and it works. Thanks.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
You're welcome ! I'm glad it did work  for you :yes:

Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.