Author Topic: TrackIR and Freespace II - MediaVPs 3.6.12  (Read 10306 times)

TrackIR and Freespace II - MediaVPs 3.6.12
So, I've always been in love with Freespace.  I played Freespace - The Great War when I was a teenager, and I still remember fondly the horrid lag nights trying to get in a half decent server.  When Freespace 2 came out, I never jumped aboard due hardware restraints.  Now I have a top of the line rig, and bought FS2 from GoG.  I updated with the FSO installer (the full package with the folder being 10.4 Gigs), Siatek X52, and TrackIR ready to go.

The problem is I can't seem to find a straight answer, if FS2 Open is able to run TrackIR (In original or any of the modded forms).  If it isn't, ok.  If it is, what am I doing wrong? 

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: TrackIR and Freespace II - MediaVPs 3.6.12
Yes, FSO can be used with TrackIR. However, you need this dll in your FreeSpace directory.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Why doesn't FSO installer download that?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
... because the amount of people that can and want to afford this tech is awfully small, and that if they can set it up at all to begin with, they know what DLL to grab ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
... because the amount of people that can and want to afford this tech is awfully small, and that if they can set it up at all to begin with, they know what DLL to grab ?

As demonstrated by the OP here? No offense, just proving a point.

The DLL has a negligible size and won't do anything at all when head tracking software isn't active, as far as I know.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

TrackIR? Head-tracking software?? What is this exactly? And in what possible way could it be used for FS?
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
TrackIR? Head-tracking software?? What is this exactly? And in what possible way could it be used for FS?

I dont use it myself but iirc it can be used to look in a direction other than the direction of travel.  eg you are flying in convoy with a freighter and you see jump signatures on your radar you can look in that direction without changing which direction you are flying in
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Basically, by using an IR emitter and a camera, it is possible to track head movements. That data can then be used to simulate the pilots' head as it moves about. Together with a simulated cockpit, you can get a lot of immersion.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Wow! That's intense! How much does one of those gizmos cost?
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5sSvlY8MNI&feature=related

Looks cool, but you can only turn your head so much before you're looking at your side wall, I guess you keep your head relatively still?
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Yes, your head movements are magnified when they are translated into viewpoint rotation and translation. You can keep your eyes at the screen in front of you at all times. It takes a bit of getting used to, but in the end it is surprisingly natural and intuitive.

As for the price, NaturalPoint's TrackIR gear is pretty expensive but solid, offering good tracking and high FPS (smooth movement), but if you don't have the budget for that, FreeTrack is a very viable alternative.

FreeTrack is a piece of software that can read video feed from any webcam and convert what it sees into your head movement. It requires a bit of engineering skills, as you need to build a tracker that is mounted to your head (either to headphones or a cap). This tracker clip usually has three bright dots. Those who know geometry will know that three dots gives you sufficient reference points to define a plane; for those who don't know geometry, suffice to say that the video sees the dots that move with your head and it can calculate the position and direction of your head with quite good accuracy as long as it sees those three dots.

Then it's a matter of setting the sensitivity profile so that the view point changes naturally when you look at different areas of the screen. When you got it configured, it feels much more like your view point is "in" the game, as your intuitive head movements are translated to the game.

This is what it looks like in action in IL-2 Sturmovik...

...and this is what it looks like in FS2 when the cockpit is enabled.

Thanks for the reply!!  That lil dll makes it work perfectly!  I read what was posted in the rest of the forum and yes, it's expensive and I heard of Freetrack.  I use it in games such as falcon 4 and DCS blackshark, it makes your bearing much easier to reach, (not the mention keep up with targets in a game that can go in any direction at any time like FS2!) 

I'm very grateful for the quick help, I wish I could've found this dll on my own, but such is life I suppose ^^

-Exlithra

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Wasn't there some buzz a while back about cross-platform software for face tracking using just a webcam?  I'm sure the tracking would be more rudimentary that way, but the number of people with a camera > the number of people with a specialized IR-filtering camera and a silly LED hat and the ability to not feel stupid playing a game wearing said hat.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Wasn't there some buzz a while back about cross-platform software for face tracking using just a webcam?  I'm sure the tracking would be more rudimentary that way, but the number of people with a camera > the number of people with a specialized IR-filtering camera and a silly LED hat and the ability to not feel stupid playing a game wearing said hat.

FacetrackNoIR

Just installed it this morning, haven't had a chance to tune parameters to see how well I can make it work. But it does work on a basic level, at least, without any parameter tuning or calibration.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Ah, so not cross platform, but at least no specialized hardware :yes:

Offline Octon

SO guys exactly where do I put  the dll file? I've tried to put it in the main directory for Knossos/Freespace and others but it's not working. I have installed the cockpit mod but I think I'm missing something as the cockpit mod is only showing the cockpit partially for me. How do I enable this? I put the dll file in the main FS2 directory but doesn't seem to work for me.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]