Author Topic: Ship Question  (Read 16187 times)

Why did the EA design the USilv beam to destoy planets if the Lucifer's two SReds do the trick?

the SRed on the lucifer renders the surface of the planet uninhabitable. Usilv blows a planets to bits, or at the very least makes a pretty big hole.

the SRed on the lucifer renders the surface of the planet uninhabitable. Usilv blows a planets to bits, or at the very least makes a pretty big hole.

The primary weapon of the EASJ Icanus (at least i think that was the name) bombards the planet's surface at certain plate fault lines, causing the tectonic forces to effectively tear the planet apart. It theoretically woulden't destroy the planet out right, the way i see it, but it would cause one hell of an inferno.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Lucifer did not destroy/render uninhabitable planets with SReds. It did it with Shivan Super Lasers. IIRC, Volition just put SReds on the FS2 Lucifer instead of Shivan Super Lasers. (Therefore turning it into a white elephant with less firepower than a Rakshasa-class cruiser!)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
And it's called the "Punisher Cannon" now, by the way.

Offline Kie99

It would be impossible to destroy a planet with a beam cannon unless you vaporised it, gravity would bring the pieces back together.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
[...]but it would cause one hell of an inferno.

What does it mean? :wtf:

:)

It would be impossible to destroy a planet with a beam cannon unless you vaporised it, gravity would bring the pieces back together.

We don't know if the Icanus needs a single volley...I think it would fire almost everywhere, causing eruptions and catastrophe. It should be able to compromise the gravitational field by hitting the "nucleo".
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
rubbish :ick:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
No, not here. Burn him, burn him!!!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Think of it like glassing a planet, but let the planet do the job. Basically, all the damege to the tectonic plates would cause continues gigantic tectonic earthquakes until the whole place ends up like one big volcano. Bottom line: It kills everything on the planet.

Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Think of it like glassing a planet, but let the planet do the job. Basically, all the damege to the tectonic plates would cause continues gigantic tectonic earthquakes until the whole place ends up like one big volcano. Bottom line: It kills everything on the planet

But the Lucifer caused the same effect on Vasuda Prime (not exactly, but everyone died) with much less powerful weapons.

not really, they just destroyed all the cities. i think that should be enough to polute the atmosphere enough to render the surface inhospitable.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

not really, they just destroyed all the cities. i think that should be enough to polute the atmosphere enough to render the surface inhospitable.

Like I said.  Same effect.  No one lives there anymore.

and in the end, it doesn't matter who's right or wrong,

just that we kill everything on a planet! :)
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Darius

Like I said.  Same effect.  No one lives there anymore.

Except death by volcano has a psychological edge over death by pollution. The Lucifer does the job, the Icanus is there to scare the hell out of everyone.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

Incorrect. Put a suitably obscene amount of energy into the beam weapon and the fragments would disperse quickly enough to escape each other's gravity. This amount of energy, however, vastly exceeds anything ever seen in FreeSpace by tens of orders of magnitude. It's completelyy impossible with the known FS tech base, other than with the Sathanas subspace weapon, which seems to really open a big hole in subspace out of which pours some of subspace's energy, requiring relatively little output from the firing ship.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Incorrect. Put a suitably obscene amount of energy into the beam weapon and the fragments would disperse quickly enough to escape each other's gravity. This amount of energy, however, vastly exceeds anything ever seen in FreeSpace by tens of orders of magnitude. It's completelyy impossible with the known FS tech base, other than with the Sathanas subspace weapon, which seems to really open a big hole in subspace out of which pours some of subspace's energy, requiring relatively little output from the firing ship.

:wtf:

We know nothing about Shvan susbspace stuff... AFAIK, that thing doesn't even appear to be a "point-and-shoot" weapon
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
and in the end, it doesn't matter who's right or wrong,

just that we kill everything on a planet! :)
That's how I deal with problems! ;)
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The Punisher cannon creates a similar effect to the T-Bomb from WC3 is that correct? cool :yes:

I'm not Dekker, please don't Kick me - go away.......IT mAy bE sOOPaH, but it hurts!
:wtf:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
You just noticed?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.