Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 589226 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
That woman calls them "duul". That by itself would be a pretty good name if you ask me. The Duul.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The dull?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Luis Dias

No Spoon, read it as "the dole".

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
No Spoon, read it as "the dole".

Certainly where the project members are heading by the sounds of it
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Just on names, I think it would have been so much better if they'd just called them the vandals and said that was the codename for them because we've got no idea what they actually call themselves (or we can't pronounce it).  Would also show a bit of self-awareness.  But no, they've just got a name that coincidentally sounds insanely close to Vandal, and they fill the same role.

SC tries so hard to be the fall of the Roman Empire in space, but it manages to do absolutely nothing interesting with that.  It doesn't look at how the Roman Empire was a colossal supernation that, by the time it died, had culturally assimilated everyone around it (which eventually spread to all of Europe) and destroyed nearly everyone who resisted that assimilation (as in Sassanid Persia and eventually the Muslims were the only ones it didn't).  It doesn't look at how the Empire wasn't destroyed from outside.  Oh no, it copy-pastes the most basic explanation: the Empire was destroyed by barbarians.

One of the most interesting things I found (Yeah Total War: Atilla!) was that the barbarians that caused the WRE the most grief were all tribes who had previously worked for the romans (due to fear of the huns) and were subsequently screwed over by the same romans. Geert Wilders (the brandname right wing nut here in the netherlands) often draws comparisons to the mass migrations when talking about the dangers of letting in refugees, whilst completely ignoring that the only reason Alaric (Visigoth king) sacked Rome was because the Romans refused to pay him for services rendered. The visigoths where not an example of foreign invaders, but rather an example of why you should never mess with worker's unions.

Off course, for people that do not know history a lot (I didn't!) these sorta things could be a plot twist, in which case the Vanduul name (who invaded rome to liberate people held hostage there) can be massive foreshadowing instead (Which, obviously, you won't show in trailers because spoilers!).

But I have only been watching this from the sidelines so I'll withhold judgement.

Offline Luis Dias

Oh I'm betting it's a plot twist, ala FreeSpace 1, and that's why I referenced Atilla in the first place. The doles were just the mcguffin you see, the real danger is mister Atilla down there (cue "we're totally ****ed" soundtrack here). Wasn't there a much nastier race out there in Star Citizen? Like the enemies of one of your allies or some such, who are just like the Vasudan-like species there?

Curiously IIRC they are referred to as "nomadic species", or "hordes" or some such. I mean, as I said, this is totally original and amazing.

It should be worth noting that the Huns were a known quantity for the Romans before the Vandals and Goths attacked them - They were even allied with the Romans at one point in history. The huns themselves also only attacked the Eastern Roman empire, whilst the Western Roman Empire was the empire that actually crumbled at the hands of it's own ineffeciency and the desperation of the people they screwed over.

Offline Luis Dias

You're just overthinking this now with your "historical accuracies" and some such come on :D

You're just overthinking this now with your "historical accuracies" and some such come on :D

Historical accuracy is never a bad thing :D

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Eh, the "Rome was destroyed by Barbarians" schtick is stale.

Rome never fell, rather its own conquests created the seeds of downfall in the West and rebuilt in the East. By the time the Western provinces ceased to be under direct Roman rule, the organs of "Rome" had migrated to Constantinople while Europe was still essentially Roman in culture and thought, but ruled by Romanized barbarians whom aspired to Roman conventions. Funny, eh?

Chris Roberts needs to get his head out of Gibbons ass.

Not really impressed by the Squadron 42 shtick. Getting 90s cgi vibes from the mocap. Fidelity sucketh mucheth. Here's my problem with fidelity in Star Citizen, it's a terrible reason for feature creep. Screw fidelity.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Mikes

Totally not anything to do with the Vandals and Attila the Hun, then, a quite original backstory then. Impressive writing material.

Yeah Sci Fi games are like that sometimes ... like that other game where some unknown aliens tried to wipe out humanity and humanity of course had to defend itself /yawn ... didn't we hear that story a hundred times?

What was it called again? Freespace 2? ;-) Writing and execution of course never matter in how good a storyline is either, no, not at all ... if you can sum it up in one or two sentences that remind you of something else it must surely suck, right? ;-)

Heh... who knows, maybe you're spot on and it will suck.... but right now, frankly, it just appears that you are jumping to conclusions all to readily. /shrugs

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Homeworld 2 totally jumped the shark with those "Vaygr" space barbarians, led by Ma(Genghis)kaan attacking the Hiigaran Empire
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 04:08:05 pm by Turambar »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Luis Dias

Are you actually defending  homeworld 2's storyline?

While I do understand that execution trumps many complaints one might have, the signals aren't good. FS 2 had a huge (yuuge) amount of real world references but they were all mixed up and coherent only to tell a very original story (I've written a wall of text on this). In this case, we seem to have a single analogy that informs the entire plotline almost down to time spans, ideologies and tone. It's all about this one big thing.

Now that might all be just a clever setup and there's actually an intelligent twist along the way. IDK we'll see.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Where are you getting your info on SC's storyline anyway? 

Are you extrapolating all this from like 2 facts and aliens called "vanduul" or has there been a lot of story stuff put out?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Luis Dias

There's a whole wiki on this stuff.

There's been a decent bit, I think, and all of it's been exactly to the template of Decline and Fall of the Terran Empire.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
You seem to be very ignorant on Star Citizen as a whole, Turambar.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
There's a whole wiki on this stuff.

Which does not include the story, only the basic setting. Because the story is still unknown. It is too early to judge.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Aesaar

The setting is what we're talking about.  And no, it's not too early to judge it.  They've released enough fiction for us to get a very good impression.

As for SQ42's story, well, there was that interview CR did where he summarized the story and it was basically the Wing Commander movie, but we don't know if he was serious or not.  Looking at how thoroughly uninspired and derivative the whole game is, it wouldn't surprise me if he was.

Offline Lorric

Squadron 42. Why did it have to be 42? Why couldn't it have been Squadron 40?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnTHypbLlkE#t=1m06s

I'd be saying that all the time if I was playing. You can be as derivative as you like with that, Roberts! Get Brian Blessed in to voice whoever leads the squadron so he can say that line again! :lol:

He's 79, still has that booming voice and intends to climb Mount Everest when he's 80.