Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 588929 times)

Offline Mikes

Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
It's impossible to actually have a mature atmosphere if users are being censored or banned simply due to using profanity.

Strangely enough there are lot of communities that manage to have both, a mature atmosphere and a lack of profanity ...

Even more strangely, it is even more common in real life and especially in professional environments. Well, over here anyways.

Seriously ... profanity has nothing to do with maturity, you motherf***** :P

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Profanity or lack thereof has nothing to do with maturity.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

So continuing the '****ty cockpits' thing we had going a while back, this is the cockpit of the Freelancer:

I'm so immersed, i can feel it trickling down my nose
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, one of my main complaints with Elite is just how much space you have to see all the time, I'm glad SC isn't making the same mistake.

Offline Aesaar

I look forward to 666maslo666 explaining to us how the Freelancer cockpit is actually really good and we're all wrong and/or trolling for saying it's bad.

I hope Cobblers was being sarcastic. It's hard to tell on the SC forums.

Why are they even doing this? Are they trying to hide performance issues?

Offline Mikes

I hope Cobblers was being sarcastic. It's hard to tell on the SC forums.

Why are they even doing this? Are they trying to hide performance issues?

There are *some* ships with good visibility ... so can't be that.

My money would indeed be on a misguided wish to create "immersion".

The mind boggles.

Offline Aesaar

I think it's sarcasm because of the name Christo_Roberto, but it says a lot about the community that you can't be sure.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
That cockpit reminds me of the Adder from ED. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKOVGPefKlg

Personally, I'm not particularly bothered by having some unnecessarily restricted cockpits, but I think we already had that discussion.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
I look forward to 666maslo666 explaining to us how the Freelancer cockpit is actually really good and we're all wrong and/or trolling for saying it's bad.

Nah, usually I am fine with claustrophobic cockpits but that Freelancer cockpit is too much. Needs windows on top.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnzcvlHHcdI

I think it is great enough. It is not a combat fighter!

Take a look at the 90-100m Starfarer and the Cockpit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BatZFnSyj48
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network

Take a look at the 90-100m Starfarer and the Cockpit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BatZFnSyj48

Hey, there actually are windows on top! But the bezel between them and the main window is very thick, so you cant see them from the seat.

Freelancer is not a combat fighter but when 2/3 of cockpit view is covered by solid walls, then it is just too much in any ship, IMHO. Adding another window wouldnt hurt.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter

No, it's not. It's a space truck. Do you know what RL trucks have? Excellent visibility, because drivers do need to see where they're going.

And that's before we start talking about the needs of a spacegame. One of those needs is to show space, not dashboards. There is, imho, no excuse for cluttering up the screen with cockpit geometry beyond the bare minimum (go back a few pages, we had a discussion about the way SC is wasting screen space there). For ****'s sake, I'm playing these games in part because of the awesome visuals they can generate, I want to see nebulae and suns and stars and planets, not bloody dashboards all the time.

The main problem is again that none of that blocked-out space has anything interesting in it. It's all just grey panelling. Maybe if it had some HUD elements attached it'd be more forgiveable but as usual the HUD just kind of floats in front of the player unanchored.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

Because this was fun to do last time:

That's an impressive amount of useless pixels.  The Adder doesn't even come close.  At least on the Adder, most of the parts of the screen not showing outside are used for HUD.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:08:53 am by Aesaar »

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
I looking Forward to my 890J and its Bridge :P

Thats a view!
It is a Little big larger ^^ About 140m now
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline Aesaar

How much did you pay for those jpegs of a ship that doesn't exist?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:19:57 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
600 Dollar :D

Wait when its done ;) Besides the Idris the best armament, armored and fastest ship (like the Reta) and can carry 2 P72 and the 85x or 2 M50 ;)

Chris says even a single Retaliator is no threat to it. But if a Reta wing comes in or worse - a Idris I should flee. No prob. Because the Idris is much slower then the 890J :P
Has a add. Battle Bridge for Command & Control or Electronic Warfare.

Overall 7 turrets. Battle armed luxury Yacht :D
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline Aesaar

Command and Control and Electronic Warfare, huh?   Cool.  So how are those gameplay mechanics going to work?  Tell me about them.

But seriously, you realize no one here is going to be impressed by your 600$ jpeg, right?  Unless you're on RSI, paying that much money for a nonexistent ship in a nonexistent game is not something to be proud of.

You could have bought one whole table from CIG's furniture supplier with that money!  And it would have been better spent because at least you'd have something tangible, not just a jpeg.

And there's something incredibly awkward about that ship design.  Can't put my finger on it, but it looks wrong.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:35:55 pm by Aesaar »