Author Topic: FSPort MediaVPS is not for all  (Read 6429 times)

Offline Axel Wers

• I remember Descent: FreeSpace as a new game.
    • FreeSpace
Re: FSPort MediaVPS is not for all
You say you still have problems with the Hades? 1) you're using a 7300, 2) the Hades has like 80,000 polygons the last time I saw a polycount. If it was dumbed down it's still probably 60k or something... Which is a LOT for your 7300 to handle.
Yes, there is a problem. Too much polygons. 80 000 polygons? Why so much? All other hi-poly models goes smoothly. Original Hades has less details than original Orion, hi-poly Orion goes perfectly. Hades at all. The same with the newest Typhon. Both are from the newest fsport-mediaVPS release. Other models are OK.

I don't know how many polygons has Karnak, but Karnak goes without problems too.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, it was fs-port. Probably some obsolete title, I am not sure.
But I have still the same issues.

OK, now FSPort and ST:Reborn should be correctly installed with mediaVPS 3.6.12.

New logs attached. Check fred log too, there is few interesting errors. Hades has some issues with engines.

Sorry, but it has not been 'fs-port' since at least the 3.2 release and the install instructions clearly state to name the folder 'fsport'. I'm still trying to figure out what your issue is.

And you're gonna find errors with the engines because FSO doesn't like how we did the engine subsystems, IIRC. Probably not, I haven't looked at fsport for 6 months due to being in security forces training, but that's what I remember before I left.

Cobra, you're awesome.. but try not to troubleshoot when you are 6 months out of the loop...

Yes, there is a problem. Too much polygons. 80 000 polygons? Why so much? All other hi-poly models goes smoothly. Original Hades has less details than original Orion, hi-poly Orion goes perfectly. Hades at all. The same with the newest Typhon. Both are from the newest fsport-mediaVPS release. Other models are OK.

I don't know how many polygons has Karnak, but Karnak goes without problems too.

Calm yourself... I am not in the mood to try an help someone who is demanding fixes with an attitude.

Now, would you be so kind as to try to run with a nightly build? Download the latest one here.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
As far as I can tell, using the latest FSPort and STR release, as well as a nightly build, everything goes without a hitch. No debug warnings, nothing, everything juuuust fine.

There's a simple solution for you. Do not play with the mediavps. See? It's easy. VA spent a whole lot of effort on getting the Hades as pretty as it can be. The fact that it needs a halfway modern system to run shouldn't be a surprise.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Axel Wers

• FreeSpace
OK, I tried that fs2_open_3_6_13r_INF-20110629_r7290.exe and it seems that FRED and FSO are going without any problems. Mission with Hades goes smoothly and I could warp without ANY game issues or crashes.

I would recommend run FSPort 3.3 and ST:R 1.2 under 3.6.13_INF.exe.

Thanks.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
You say you still have problems with the Hades? 1) you're using a 7300, 2) the Hades has like 80,000 polygons the last time I saw a polycount. If it was dumbed down it's still probably 60k or something... Which is a LOT for your 7300 to handle.

Given their age the Orion and Karnak would have less detail compared to the Hades and Typhon, even though the Typhon has a lot of detail it's not quite as much overall, except near the engines. The new Hades however has many small details strewn across the entire length of the ship, particuarlly in the trenches. As I mentioned before going off of memory the 7300 didn't turn out to be as good of a card as it was expected to, and take the other specs of the system into effect, in the end it's likely that what you're using is simply out-of-date for these newer MVP releases.

Offline Axel Wers

• FreeSpace
Yes I saw already that Hades has lot of details, it looks really pretty. So it doesn't seem problems with my 7300 because under 3.6.13_INF it goes without any problems with all details and effects.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's a good thing you're original topic title is incorrect then isn't it?  :rolleyes:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
And you're gonna find errors with the engines because FSO doesn't like how we did the engine subsystems, IIRC. Probably not, I haven't looked at fsport for 6 months due to being in security forces training, but that's what I remember before I left.

Cobra, you're awesome.. but try not to troubleshoot when you are 6 months out of the loop...

That's why I covered my bases and said I wasn't too sure. It was only a possible explanation. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Axel Wers

• FreeSpace
That's why I covered my bases and said I wasn't too sure. It was only a possible explanation. :P
When I tested some earlier FSO releases (it could be sometimes between 2003-2005) it has more bugs than WindowsME :D But each newer release was better and better.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Actually, last time I looked at the pof, it had about 104,000 polygons.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yep, LOD0 with all turret subobjects etc counted in is around that.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Actually, last time I looked at the pof, it had about 104,000 polygons.

Dayumn.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta