Author Topic: Small update to Raider Wars 2.0  (Read 6747 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Small update to Raider Wars 2.0
We have released a small update to Raider Wars 2.0, which should solve the frequent crashes while playing mission "Nightmare Scenario".

This bug was caused by usage of certain s-expression (or "sexp"). In newer fs2_open builds this sexp is called "rand-multiple", but in older builds it is called "rand". This update changes the caller of this sexp to "rand", which effectively makes the two affected missions unplayble on newer fs2_open builds, but is again completely playable with the build included with Base 3.2.

If you have used a newer fs2_open build to get past these crashing problems, please install Base 3.2 again and you should have the original fs2_open executable back. If you continue to use a newer build than what was included with Base 3.2, you risk to encounter several bugs that may affect gameplay severely.

Update available here.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has, or will cause.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 02:39:56 am by 173 »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
So just to clarify:

* This update makes your RW2.0 compatible with older fs2_open builds like the one in Base 3.2
* This updates makes your RW2.0 incompatible with newer fs2_open builds
* At the moment newer fs2_open builds have bugs which prevent them from running RW2.0 correctly anyway.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Jokke_r

i know this probably ain't the right thread for asking but i'll do it anyway. How the hell am i supposed to beat the third mission in raider wars, there is no way i can save that centauri ship before the narn torpedo it to oblivion, no way. Then the mission continues as if thats supposed to happen and i shoot some centauri without failing anything but i still fail the mission.

I don't get it, what the hell am i supposed to do. after 20 or so tries it's really starting to bug me :(

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
The crash happens in the end of the Nightmare confusion (in fact, it was the following mission).

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Originally posted by Jokke_r
i know this probably ain't the right thread for asking but i'll do it anyway. How the hell am i supposed to beat the third mission in raider wars, there is no way i can save that centauri ship before the narn torpedo it to oblivion, no way. Then the mission continues as if thats supposed to happen and i shoot some centauri without failing anything but i still fail the mission.

I don't get it, what the hell am i supposed to do. after 20 or so tries it's really starting to bug me :(

Fly very close to one of the bigger Narn ships. When it turns hostile, attack the ship with all you've got and order your wingmen to do the same. They'll surrender very quickly.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Originally posted by Jokke_r
Then the mission continues as if thats supposed to happen and i shoot some centauri without failing anything but i still fail the mission.

Protect the Scylla from the Vorchans.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That isn't the problem. The mission expects you to save the Centauri frieghter which is a neat impossibility if you try to actually kill the narn fighters (You have to take out 80% of them to complete the mission that way)

Destroying one of the narn freighters on the other hand has the same effect and is almost certainly easier.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

What a great ending.  The animations really improve the atmosphere!!!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Originally posted by karajorma
Destroying one of the narn freighters on the other hand has the same effect and is almost certainly easier.

Thus forcing the Narn to surrender and saving the freighter. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Started playing raider wars today, yeah, was fun untill I got destroyed by... Huh, was killed by unknown causes!!!!
Seems the game is cheatring on me, :nervous: how odd is this, has it happened to anyone else..  :(
Have to give it a go later, the wife is taking me to a movie. :D
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Nope. Another bug I've never seen in all the times I've playtested the campaign. Which means it probably won't happen if you play the misson again. Out of interest though, which mission was it and when did it happen?

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Hmm, you were right, it didn`t happen again.. I made it through the mission..

Midnight on the firing Line
It was after the freighter jumped out, then I was to find a hidden raider base in an asteroid field, well it happened as I was destroying its turrets, I think what happened is I collided with the station while it rotated, my hull was down to like 14.. Which I think caused the strange responce, (killed by unknown causes).. I hope this helps

(edit) I have played this mission before without problems, but I started the campaign over because voices were added ;)

whitelight out.  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 11:00:40 pm by 695 »
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline rynadrk

All right I did the following:
Installed Base 3.2
Installed Raider Wars 2.0
Installed the Patch

Still The game crashes out to desktop at the Red Alert screen for the Nightmare mission.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Worked perfectly for me using Taylor's latest build from the SCP recent builds forum.

Check which build TBP are reccomending though.

Originally posted by rynadrk
All right I did the following:
Installed Base 3.2
Installed Raider Wars 2.0
Installed the Patch

Still The game crashes out to desktop at the Red Alert screen for the Nightmare mission.

I experimented exactly the same problem in the same mission !
I thought my intall was at fault, so I uninstalled/re-installed Base3.2 + RW2 + patch RW2.1 from scratch and started a new pilot.
I haven't reached that mission again, yet.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn.
Ïa ! Ïa ! Cthulhu fhtagn ! Cthulhu fhtagn !

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Originally posted by rynadrk

"At the Red Alert screen"?

That's a completely different bug to the one the patch fixes. in fact that's a bug which dates back to the first release of RW. It affects very few people and is a game engine problem and has nothing to do with RW.

Try using a different version of the game engine for that mission alone. Either the latest version or a debug version. Then go back to the recommended one once you've passed the mission.

Offline Vash

well, even after installing the patch and trying about 4 other builds, i still can't run the nightmare senario.
with every build the same thing happens, the loading screen works, i get the screen were the situation is explained and when i press accept. it goes black, only some sound is playing on the background. and then i get the screen from windows XP that some error occured and that i can either send a report to microsoft or not. if i do that or not, the sound stops and i return to the desktop of my computer.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Chose a debug build. Delete TBP\errorlog.txt if you have it. Choose the run in a window option from dev tools in the launcher.

Report back with the last few lines of the debug spew and also the first 10 or so lines of the new errorlog.txt file.

That should help the coders figure out what is causing the problem so they can fix it.

Offline Vash

allright... this is what the debug spew gave me:

Received post for event GS_EVENT_PLAYER_WARPOUT_DONE_STAGE2 during state transtition. Find Allender if you are unsure if this i
s bad.
Frame  0 too long!!: frametime = 39.785 (39.785)
Got event GS_EVENT_PLAYER_WARPOUT_DONE_STAGE2 (57) in state GS_STATE_TRAINING_PAUSED (44)
Throwing out event 15 because of state set from 44 to 45
Loading 2_RedAlert-m.pcx for the first time.
MEMLEAK DEBUG: lock pcx
Loading 2_RedAlert.pcx for the first time.
Loading cursor.ani for the first time.
ANI cursor.ani with size 24x24 (25.0% wasted)
Loading 2_RAB_010001.pcx for the first time.
Loading 2_RAB_010002.pcx for the first time.
Got event GS_EVENT_ENTER_GAME (2) in state GS_STATE_MULTI_HELP (45)
Entering game at time =  54.839

and the first part of the new errorlog:

fs2_open_T-20050622-dbg caused a Breakpoint in module fs2_open_T-20050622-dbg.exe at 001b:005698d2.
Exception handler called in Freespace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 7/24/2005 02:38:30.
C:\Program Files\The Babylon Project\fs2_open_T-20050622-dbg.exe, run by Eigenaar.
2 processor(s), type 586.
1024 MBytes physical memory.

Registers:
EAX=00000010 CS=001b EIP=005698d2 EFLGS=00200202
EBX=7ffd9000 SS=0023 ESP=0012b4c4 EBP=0012b510
ECX=0012b3fc DS=0023 ESI=0012f850 FS=003b
EDX=7c90eb94 ES=0023 EDI=0012b510 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
cc 6a 01 e8 76 b2 eb ff 83 c4 04 5f 5e 5b 83 c4

hope u can help me out, i loved the campaign so far. especialy with the voice acting in it

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Try deleting all the files in data\cache, then running the mission. I'm not suggesting this will work, it's pretty much a shot in the dark. It may just not work for you regardless of what you try.