Author Topic: New music coming your way soon!  (Read 128301 times)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Re: New music coming your way soon!
Thankyou very much. :)

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Right now I have a sudden urge to listen to the composition used for FS1's ending, the one where the Luci goes byebye and splits in half.

Dang, when I first saw that, I was so freaked out, I had trouble sleeping (playing at night). I freaked myself out again yesterday by watching the video for nostalgia's sake... :shaking:

Hope all goes well for Nix... :)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
I'm back. Taristin was right, and  I'm real busy as well, but I'm hoping I can find a little bit of time to put some more back up as FLAC's.  I goofed up when I was re arranging stuff for my website and accidentally nixed the derelict and audio files.  I'll have some up soon though.

And even gooder news, Dan has contacted me again, and the other things I mentioned, but cant talk about, well they're pretty much done.  I still have to wait a little bit before I reveal what's up though.  And all the missing tracks, Dan is going to take a look again and see what he can find.  If he can find the Silent Threat tracks, we'll be in business completeness wise. If not, there's probably going to be a few here and there that won't be updated.  As for the FS2 tracks that are in 22K only as well, they might only be available in 22K, as the whole project had to be compressed down.  It all depends on if he's got em or not. 

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Sounds good Nix. Look forwards to hearing them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Everything sounds very good!! I especially like the intro music. :)

EDIT: I really like the betamainhall too.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 02:22:33 pm by thesizzler »

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Yeah, it's bad, the main hall beta sounds better than the one used.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Yeah, it's bad, the main hall beta sounds better than the one used.
Remembering the discussion about this earlier, did anyone give Woo a shout about using betamainhall as the Inferno mainhall theme?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I did. He didn't respond.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well, I for one am going to toss that file into my Inferno folder and rename it if necessary so that it will be played instead of the original Inferno mainhall track. :)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Well, I for one am going to toss that file into my Inferno folder and rename it if necessary so that it will be played instead of the original Inferno mainhall track. :)
Hmm, good idea...

EDIT: INF:A uses the betamainhall as its mainhall track! Whoo-hoo!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 01:28:45 pm by AdmiralRalwood »
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Nix, how about releasing a few more of these? :) Pretty much anything would be good to have.

Do you happen to have the music from the Ancient monologues? That might be interesting to hear.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Sure thing, I'll have some of these up soon, probably tomorrow sometime, if I can wake up early enough to do it before work.

I'm still working on reducing hiss on original FS1 material.  I'm going to post a couple of FLAC samples, and I'd like to know what you think about them.  Since all tracks have this hiss at this frequency range, I'm pretty sure I could just apply it globally across all files, though that could be risky.  Unfortunately they sound... "flat" to me with the hiss cut applied.  Who knows, maybe I might have burned myself out that day, I've been too busy since then to get any work on this done, with finals at school.  They're done now but I'm starting the process of moving home and settling in.  Once I've done that, I'll have more time.  In the meantime, I'll get tracks posted again.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
They sounded slightly flatter to me too with the hiss removal. However, I think I prefer that to the hiss on most of them. The hiss is really distracting IMO. I need to try saving the flacs as oggs and see if that changes anything; as I remarked earlier, it's not quite so bad in the oggs you posted for some reason.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
I've noticed that too upon a second listen.  Being as they will be directly encoded from WAV to OGG in the VP, that's what you'll have.  The web archive, I might edit all of the tracks, given time.

Anyways, as of tonight I've re-upped the tracks along with a few others in FLAC format.  If downloading any track requires you to log in to fileshack, I'll trim it down a bit to get it under that filesize limit. 

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Wow. Tons of great stuff there. :yes: I love the trailer tracks. The FS2 ambient C music is interesting, as it sounds very different than the normal one, but I can think of several possible uses for it.

The drum beats in FS1 Brief 2 have a slight "crackle" in them in some places, but I can't tell whether that was intentional or not. Other than that, I actually like this version a bit better than the normal one (leaving aside the quality improvement).

I didn't notice the hiss in any of these, although I wasn't really looking for it. Did you do something to remove it?

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Not this time around, these were direct FLAC encodes, set at quality 2, which is darn close to the WAV's quality.  I'll post a comparison track later tonight after I process it. 
I've noticed that the FS1 brief tracks do have a bit of crackle, either that or my cans are blown already (I hope not, I'm going to have to test...)

EDIT: I've uploaded a few tracks in a mix <a href="http://nix1999.shackspace.com/audio/hisscuttest.flac> here[/url].  Let me know what you think, if it's less noticeable, same settings here, in FLAC Quality 2.

Ambient C, is that the Fs_Menace track?  I think it was his base track used to record the final mix.  Really interesting, hearing individual elements like this.  The FS_Drums2 track is used in FS2BtlG03, and also used in the track "Spectre" in Red Faction. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 09:05:45 pm by Nix »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
After listening to the Brief 2 one several times, I think it just wasn't recorded at the same sampling rate as most of the others. The bassy drum beats clearly wash out the background tune around the beginning of the soundtrack. The quality is still miles ahead of the original anyway. :)

Ambient C, is that the Fs_Menace track?  I think it was his base track used to record the final mix.  Really interesting, hearing individual elements like this.

Yeah, I think it would make a very nice "spooky" ambient track, more so than the finished version. I might use it in one place in my campaign.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
I will say this, to be perfectly honest.  A few of these tracks just sound.. odd.  The quality is good, but a few of them sound like they were overdriven.  Theres not too much I can do for those tracks. 

BTW, do you use the Beyerdynamic DT770's as well?  I've had mine for about nine months and I think both drivers are blown.  This is odd, because even my old MDR-V700DJ headphones worked longer than that before the right driver blew.  I had those for a year and a half.  I have a pair of MDR-CD780's, for three years and they haven't blown, but don't offer the isolation and response like the DT770's do.  Luckily I think the seller I bought them from actually honors the warranty, as he's still selling brand new in box DT770's with warranties.  I've used them directly with my Sound Blaster X-Fi card, nothing else, and they're the 80 Ohm version.  I wonder if they're just distorting from being underpowered perhaps?  I know if I were to use the 250 Ohm cans, I'd need to use an amp, most likely...  What do you think, CP?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 11:43:53 pm by Nix »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I will say this, to be perfectly honest.  A few of these tracks just sound.. odd.  The quality is good, but a few of them sound like they were overdriven.  Theres not too much I can do for those tracks.

I know what you mean. FS1 Brief 2 and FS2 Brief 4 are probably the best examples of that.

BTW, do you use the Beyerdynamic DT770's as well?  I've had mine for about nine months and I think both drivers are blown.  This is odd, because even my old MDR-V700DJ headphones worked longer than that before the right driver blew.  I had those for a year and a half.  I have a pair of MDR-CD780's, for three years and they haven't blown, but don't offer the isolation and response like the DT770's do.  Luckily I think the seller I bought them from actually honors the warranty, as he's still selling brand new in box DT770's with warranties.  I've used them directly with my Sound Blaster X-Fi card, nothing else, and they're the 80 Ohm version.  I wonder if they're just distorting from being underpowered perhaps?  I know if I were to use the 250 Ohm cans, I'd need to use an amp, most likely...  What do you think, CP?

I actually have the DT250, which are from their studio monitor line. I've had them for about 18 months with no issues. You could try getting yours replaced, as the DT770 is becoming increasingly highly recommended these days as a general purpose gaming/music headphone. I was planning to get one myself at some point.

The x-fi should be fine with 80 ohm models. The one I have is also rated at 80 ohms and I find that the volume is comfortably loud at one notch over the half point in the Windows volume control. There are some good amps available on ebay for cheap though, around $40 or so (there is one guy selling amps built around boxes of breathmints that many say are exceptional for the price, but I can't remember the name now :p).

By the way, do you have the 2006 version of the DT770 or the older 2003 version? (they look quite different so it's easy to tell) Headroom claims that the 2006 version sounds a lot better, although the comments I've seen on forums indicate that they are fairly similar.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 12:12:59 am by CP5670 »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
EDIT: I've uploaded a few tracks in a mix here.  Let me know what you think, if it's less noticeable, same settings here, in FLAC Quality 2.

Just noticed this. It's a definite improvement over the original one. The hiss is still quite noticeable, but it seems to be a good compromise between having the hiss and cutting out details.