Author Topic: Size based explosion sounds!  (Read 1177 times)

Offline morGy

Size based explosion sounds!
-DEPRECATED, CAN BE CLOSED-

I have to redact some statements I made in another topic because some cool work has actually been done on the sound side. When you rework the sounds.tbl to the sound set syntax (which I have done, that was some grueling ****ty 15 to 16 hours of work. If nothing else media vps should absolutely include this part of my work.) you can do some neat stuff and I plan to take advantage of this!

This of course brings me to the topic at hand. Explosions sounds is still one area where sound can mostly expand upon. FSO as of now has a ton of one size supposedly fits all stuff. With the sound set syntax in place class based explosion sounds that are ordered by magnitude are absolutely possible. So I plan to create unique explosions in the following lowest to highest magnitude order:

sentry guns > fighters/bombers > transports/freighters > cruisers and corvettes > destroyers and meson bomb> juggernauts and installations.

There will of course be some size based exceptions. The mjolnir is a sentry gun but it is more the size of a transport, some containers will be sentry some fighter size, some small transport/freighters will warrant only fighter size and so on.

I also plan to modernize the real classic stuff for the nostalgic folks aka what came with fs1. As a question when you listen to the fs1 explosions which size do you think they fit best in the order of magnitude i laid out? I'd say fighter/bomber and transport/freighters at the highest but that is pushing it imho, but what do you think?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 03:44:23 pm by morGy »

Re: Class based explosion sounds!
Seems pretty good to me. :nod:

Just a few ideas - I'd like to have a custom sound for the Meson bombs explosion, which is significantly different from the other explosions; the only installations are roughly destroyer sized (not juggernauts). Also I'd differ between civilian stuff that breaks apart easily (cargo, escape pods, small sentry guns) and small military things.

Offline morGy

differentiating between civilian and military craft soundwise is overcomplicating things so i don't think i will do that. the arcadia definitely has more mass than an orion or a hecate and giving it the same sound as the colly still means that instead of 11 assets sharing the same sound it will be 4 and 7 instead. unique sound for the meson bomb sure, let's see what i can come up with in that regard!  :yes:

Having too many assets sharing the same sounds is a good reason; are there any technical reasons why differentiating between civilian and military stuff is complicated?

Offline morGy

none, i still won't do it

Ah OK

Offline morGy

Re: Size based explosion sounds!
Okay there is now a mod to test this. It is called Size based explosion sounds and sound mix improvements. It is uploaded to Nebula and should be available through Knossos.

There is 19 new unique explosion sounds (3 of which have been part of the previous mvps). 3 per size and the meson bomb.

As the name suggests the mod also includes my sound mix improvements which are quite necessary to make explosions even audible. See more about the sound mix improvements in this topic:
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=96017.0

NOTE: Clusterboom volume has been deliberately set to 0 here so that those shockwave sounds don't actually obscure the explosions. The only valid test case is the FS2 campaign and vanilla missions. Other mods may override changes i have made!

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:43:31 pm by morGy »