Author Topic: Keyboeard list  (Read 2614 times)

Hello,
Is there a complete list of keys that are going to  be used in the game yet. I have a caockpit sim that I am converting and I am ready to start wiring the switches in the panels. I want this thing ready for when Fate is released.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
We've had discussions about what our default layout will be, but nothing is set in stone yet. We might end up having a few options for players to choose from when they create a new pilot. I'd also like to hear about the Diaspora team's experience, as apparently they made some people upset because WASD wasn't their original default scheme. Damn kids ;)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
wasd for a space shooter ? Wat

Wat

All of my wat
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
To be fair, a WASD config has been standard-issue for any sort of first/third-person action title for more than a decade, and many people picking up Diaspora for the first time had probably never played a space sim before, if they even knew that "space sim" had been a genre in the first place.  I've always used a joystick for both Descent and FreeSpace myself, so I'd probably be almost as lost as those users were if I was plopped down in front of the game's default KB+mouse layout.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Instead of just one default, we'll have several built-in default control schemes that can be switched between in the control config screen, so there should be something for everyone.

As for what all keys we'll use, it's a bit too early to say definitively. In any case, most of the keys are of course still the same as in FS2 or Diaspora, and we're mostly just removing keys we don't have a use for (afterburner, countermeasures, glide, up/down/left/right thrust, etc) and adding a couple new ones (s-foils, B-wing controls, etc) and so on.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I use WASD, or a variant. It wasn't hard to adapt my layout to Diaspora so I'm hoping I'll be able to do the same thing here.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
we're mostly just removing keys we don't have a use for (afterburner, countermeasures, glide, up/down/left/right thrust, etc)
Wouldn't it be better to keep those in? I don't know about sidethrust, but there's definitely a precedent for flares and chaff in SW, and there was something called SLAM which, IIRC, worked similar to afterburner.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think any of that appears in the OT movies which are the source material for FotG.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Yeah, the SLAM was on the hideously overpowered Missile Boat, it ate your laser energy when active & doubled your speed to literally ludicrous speed :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
we're mostly just removing keys we don't have a use for (afterburner, countermeasures, glide, up/down/left/right thrust, etc)
Wouldn't it be better to keep those in? I don't know about sidethrust, but there's definitely a precedent for flares and chaff in SW, and there was something called SLAM which, IIRC, worked similar to afterburner.

Well, if we'll end up having flares or afterburner then of course we need keys for them... I was giving those as examples merely because we have no current plans to feature either feature, so listing keys for them doesn't make much sense until there's a need for them.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
The Falcon does have a burner-type thing that you see in ESB so I made a HUD gauge for it, but we haven't done anything with it so far.

A question for Diaspora people (I downloaded the game back when it still had the more traditional FS controls as the default): did people expect WASD to do Pitch and Yaw or did they want it to do Throttle and Roll and leave Pitch and Yaw to the mouse? Or something else?

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I use W and S for Increase and Decrease Throttle and A and D for Roll Left and Right. I use that for FS2 as well. I aim with the mouse (inverted of course) and it's easier for me than my gamepad.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:06:14 am by Hobbie »
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.