Author Topic: Split from "09-03-15 - An Estimate"  (Read 3823 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Split from "09-03-15 - An Estimate"
I don't really love to say this, but... IMO, if Diaspora remained private until Shattered Armistice was nearing completion, things would be better. I have never liked the mass invasion of BSG fans and BSG-related discussions here on HLP. This site is about FreeSpace, and there are plenties of campaigns and mods that deserve some attention.

My opinion on the matter has no value, but after reading the most recent posts on this thread I decided to write this. Feel free to blame me for this.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:16:02 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: 09-03-15 - An Estimate
I don't really love to say this, but... IMO, if Diaspora remained private until Shattered Armistice was nearing completion, things would be better. I have never liked the mass invasion of BSG fans and BSG-related discussions here on HLP. This site is about FreeSpace, and there are plenties of campaigns and mods that deserve some attention.

My opinion on the matter has no value, but after reading the most recent posts on this thread I decided to write this. Feel free to blame me for this.

If we follow that, the Homeworld conversion as well as Star Wars should also STFU till they release?
I don't think so, and what about TBP? It's also not about the FS universe.
I think some of those members who joined for Diaspora will also take a look at other mods.
I joined GW for BtRL, and discovered FS2/ FSO later, as i started to mod.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Mmh. [sarcasm]Glad to notice that you haven't mentioned any FS-related projects, even if they're the core of this community. [/sarcasm]

People heavily discuss BSG here on the Diaspora board. I don't see anything like that in the Fate of the Galaxy, The Babylon Project and The Apocalypse Project boards, where posts are focused on those projects and not on what the projects are based on.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Mmh. Glad to notice that you haven't mentioned any FS-related projects, even if they're the core of this community.

People heavily discuss BSG here on the Diaspora board. I don't see anything like that in the Fate of the Galaxy, The Babylon Project and The Apocalypse Project boards, where posts are focused on those projects and not on what the projects are based on.

Maybe i missunderstood what you are saying, if so sorry in advance.

Do i understand that correctly that people in those boards should talk about FS2/ FSO ( <--quote "what the projects are based on" )???

Why? There are other boards to discuss FSO.
Also, bear in mind that Diaspora is the new "chick" among the mods around here, and like in real life, the new young attractive chick gets always all of the attention.  :D May the DEVS forgive me...

EDIT: Eh, why would i mention FS related projects?
I thought this was all about Diaspora ( and other NON-FS2 related projects ). :confused:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:58:40 am by Angelus »

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
Consider Mobius as background noise... Thats the best way I can describe him, and the wisest way to deal with the confusion he causes.
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
:)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline newman

I have never liked the mass invasion of BSG fans and BSG-related discussions here on HLP. This site is about FreeSpace, and there are plenties of campaigns and mods that deserve some attention.

People will discuss what interests them. And if BSG in relation to FS2 interests people, then who are you to tell them they shouldn't discuss this? It's a valid HLP topic since it's one of the tc's done on fs2_open. If anything, it attracted more people to the HLP boards in relation. If you're jealous because you feel some other fs2 projects don't get the spotlight because of this, deal with it because Diaspora isn't the problem. If Diaspora didn't exist, some of the less known projects would still be less known, only now something a bit more popular appears and it's so easy to point a finger at us and scream that we're stealing all the attention. All I can say is, grow up already. We didn't steal your toys. We didn't just get fans because of BSG. Look at some of the other projects based on very popular franchises. If you want your project to get attention your time would be better spent between working on the quality and/or PR then whining around here that we shouldn't exist so you don't have to feel second best anymore.

My opinion on the matter has no value...

This scares me, but here's something that I totally agree with you about.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:27:34 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I don't really love to say this, but... IMO, if Diaspora remained private until Shattered Armistice was nearing completion, things would be better.

Bollocks. While most of the team are from within the community neither eldain, nor skull leader would have heard of this project, applied, and joined the team. Furthermore there are at least five or six prospectives who would never have heard of us either.

We went public in part cause we needed the PR to get us new team members. That's not the only reason but it should be enough.

I have never liked the mass invasion of BSG fans and BSG-related discussions here on HLP. This site is about FreeSpace, and there are plenties of campaigns and mods that deserve some attention.

This site is NOT about Freespace. HLP became an FS2_Open engine site long ago. Yes there is a large focus on FS2 but that isn't what this site is about by a long way. As for people discussing BSG, if the team don't mind, why should you care? And there most definitely has been discussion of SW on the FotG board and B5 on the TBP board.

Quite frankly it's rather two faced to come on here complaining about the content when you're saying the board shouldn't even be public because we shouldn't have announced our existence. You could simply not come onto this board. Then as far as you are concerned, Diaspora and Shattered Armistice hasn't been announced and doesn't exist. You can have what you want if you just exercise a little willpower.

Actually this last post of yours has decided me. Diaspora does not exist for you. You are to pretend it doesn't exist and if I ever see you post on any other thread other than to reply to this post until the day I tell you you can, I'm monkeying you for a month. I'll give you right of reply because I don't believe in censorship but even that only stretches as far as a explanation for why you've decided to come on here and say something as stupid as your last couple of posts.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:26:52 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Echelon9

While most of the team are from within the community neither eldain, nor skull leader would have heard of this project, applied, and joined the team. Furthermore there are at least five or six prospectives who would never have heard of us either.
For Mobius' benefit, my story is I likewise found HLP forums because of my interest in BSG, took an interest in the wider FS2_Open universe, learnt the code base and now am contributing code and bugfixes that assist any of the other projects which have decided to use FS2_Open.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well you found the BtRL board first IIRC, which is why I didn't count you.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Karajorma, you know where the issue started: it was on that thread on Earth Defense internal. Even if you came out with good explanations and reasons, the whole Diaspora deal seemed a bit convenient for you.

That's what I was trying to say, although the subject has been already discussed elsewhere (fortunately). It's just that I see the consequences of that action.

EDIT: And no problem, this is my last post on this board. I'm following your suggestion.  :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:45:24 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
EDIT: And no problem, this is my last post on this board. I'm following your suggestion.

wow miracles do happen , you can follow suggestions ... thats great now hold on to that idea and do it elsewhere in life ..;
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I admit the inflammatory post I did in the ED internal board was a bit out of line though....

Karajorma wasn't supposed to read that post dammit :lol:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Rather silly to post something about a guy you know is the admin of the board you are posting on though. :p

You at least accepted the explanation I gave for what happened though. And I still say if you have complaint about the amount of traffic ED gets you need to up the traffic GW as a whole gets.

Karajorma, you know where the issue started: it was on that thread on Earth Defense internal. Even if you came out with good explanations and reasons, the whole Diaspora deal seemed a bit convenient for you.

The BtRL break up was not convenient for us in the slightest. I could explain exactly why we ended up on HLP but frankly the admins of both boards know what happened, theirs is the only opinion I care about in the matter and I don't give a flying **** if you want to spin stupid conspiracy theories about how come we're on HLP and ED isn't.  

Besides, Shiv is well aware of the facts and I doubt he's impressed by your behaviour or your attempt to drag ED into this discussion to cover your arse over the main gist of your complaint, the fact that people are actually discussing things on a discussion board. Shock horror! :eek:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Split from "09-03-15 - An Estimate"
Is there any way to ban Mobius from Diaspora?

The poor BSG fans already feel like the rest of the forum hates them because we keep moving their threads to GenDisc. This is just making it worse.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Aye.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah, he's going to be added to a usergroup karajorma himself has termed "Utter Twats" which cannot view the Diaspora board.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Mobius says he's not going to post there anymore, and therefore the pathetic ban/special group thing is useless. He thanks you all in advance for this.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
He's said he's not posting. That's good enough for me.