Author Topic: So I saw that SCP is almost ready with a new release candidate...  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Rebound

So I saw that SCP is almost ready with a new release candidate...
So I was looking at the other HLP forums and saw that 3.6.11 almost has a release candidate build. Does this bode well for the progress of Diaspora? How much closer does this put us to R1 ( please note I am NOT asking for a release date or an estimate etc.) also I havent been able to find any recent info but how is the progress going on launches and manual landings?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: So I saw that SCP is almost ready with a new release candidate...
We don't wait for an official build before using new features, we're always developing using very recent builds so the only way an official SCP release is going to have any direct impact on Diaspora is if we're in beta and waiting for an official build.

As for manual launches and landings, the situation is much the same as last time you asked. We've been concentrating on other things we need for the time being. You won't be disappointed by what some of that is though. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
I find it really interesting that you can just carry your work over from previous versions. I'm not a coder but do new releases slow you down or speed you up, or no difference? Because from my tiny understanding about modding, some... changes may be needed to move stuff over...

Just curious how you keep up. thx

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, there's a policy in new SCP releases to not break old features, except when absolutely necessary. For the most part, assets developed for an old version of FSO will still be usable with new versions; however, newer versions may show you hidden errors that older versions ignored, or provide better ways of doing things.

In this particular case, it can be assumed that Diaspora was already using the unstable versions of the engine for their development, so the changes necessary will be minimal.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep. We've pretty much kept up to date with the SCP so going over to the new release shouldn't have any effect at all on our development because we've pretty much been using it the entire time it was being developed.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]