Author Topic: BSG Online announced - could this be a problem?  (Read 31403 times)

Re: BSG Online announced - could this be a problem?
Free 2 Play is even worse. Because if he doesnt like free 2 play games than hell hate Diaspora. Since it will be free!

Offline -Norbert-

But in Diaspora he won't have to worry about those not paying any money being hopelessly outclassed by the cash-shop users. I guess it's that what he doesn't like about most free-to-play games.

Offline newman

But in Diaspora he won't have to worry about those not paying any money being hopelessly outclassed by the cash-shop users. I guess it's that what he doesn't like about most free-to-play games.

Not true, I'll be selling undetectable hax0red tables for multi :D
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Shade

First one's free, but then...
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Free 2 Play is even worse. Because if he doesnt like free 2 play games than hell hate Diaspora. Since it will be free!
Even though this is a joke, I want to clarify:
When I say I don't get along with free to play, I mean the ones made by for-profit companies that offer 'extras' to folks whom borrow mommy's credit card to buy the OP kit.
and then the koreans whom made it start adjusting it so there are more, significant advantages to paying.

this is a free game, not a free to play

but those hax0red tables sound very nice...

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Does anyone honestly find those non-canon designs good?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't. Looking at them, one has to assume that the designer never saw the show, or made an effort to study what a colonial ship looks like.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Exactly. Slayer's stuff is in every way superior. And we have a huge heap of his stuff lying around just waiting to be modeled.

Offline boewolf

I must admit that I like some of those non cannon stuff.  But not for that universe.

Even though this is a joke, I want to clarify:
When I say I don't get along with free to play, I mean the ones made by for-profit companies that offer 'extras' to folks whom borrow mommy's credit card to buy the OP kit.
and then the koreans whom made it start adjusting it so there are more, significant advantages to paying.

this is a free game, not a free to play

BigPoint takes this to the extreme with their games.  If you don't pay, you don't stand a chance at all against the players that do.  If this game is anything like some of their other games, you won't even make it away from your home base unless you are a paying player. 

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I don't. Looking at them, one has to assume that the designer never saw the show, or made an effort to study what a colonial ship looks like.

I liked the Colonial ones as Valkyrie-generation ships, until I saw the front ends. Then I threw up.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nighteyes

I honestly don't get what they are doing with this game... the effects are completely off, red cylon thrusters? the tracers? huge nebulae? the strange ship designs?! whats wrong with them??

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Let's not bash the game too much until it's actually out. Bear in mind our WIP shots also have quite a few WTF moments in them too but we have the luxury of not revealing anything at all until it is finished.

As for the non-canon designs I tend to agree with boewolf. The designs are actually pretty nice, they don't look that BSGish to me.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline SGT_R22eR

• The Nordic Frenchman known as Exakt now
I'm pretty sure Diaspora won't get a C&D folks, don't worry. ;)

Just like UT said... I wouldn't worry too much about a C&D, let's just say that most of the project has been known by even SyFy, NBC and the rest for a long time and still nothing of BSG projects were cancelled due to a C&D.

Also, It is pre-rendered, not high-end stuff, but they got "their" point across... This is a cinematic and usually, cinematics cost a bundle of money, therefore to reduce cost, you can :

A) Have a cutscene as a trailer, but with probably little they have ready right now, it wouldn't show their product on a "grandiose" light because their game engine and/or in-game models as still in Alpha, meaning a bunch of untextured objects and/or placeholders, or

B) Have a cinematic, with lower poly models, made hastily to show what the player "may" expect from the game and by having lower poly models, means lower times for the computers to "assemble" that cinematic.
If we're the only people in the universe, it would be an awful waste of space.
A leader is a man who can adapt principles to circumstances.
The most valuable commodity I know of, is information.
Through the perception of illusion, we experience reality.
I run in circles on a daily basis.
There is a fine line between genius and foolishness... I walk on it permanently.
Proudly supporting Diaspora
Now mostly known as Exakt

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
have those ''developers'' ever seen one episode of bsg?  :lol:
simply sucks!
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
how about an Update to Dispora some time now eh? Long time since the last cool post...  :)
Long time for that new game too, so go beat them NOW.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline newman

Dude, we released a huge update very recently - the fully textured Theses finally ingame and dealing pain all around. Still, I can't get upset with you since I just finished playing Fortune Hunters :D Go check the dev blog, our site, or our moddb page.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:55:42 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I notice the raider's engines are red.

Also, that one cylon ship (I think it's cylon, anyway) doesn't look TOO bad.