Author Topic: BSG Online announced - could this be a problem?  (Read 31387 times)

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Re: BSG Online announced - could this be a problem?
why don t give all the moneys to diaspora and stop to do this horrible things? iìm wondering why give a job like this at incompetent artists that probably seens only the pilot episode all togheter on an old projector  :confused:
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Shade

Firstly: What money? The game's free to play :p Seriously, I'll never understand how people can complain about something they won't have to pay for, and in this case haven't even tried yet. On account of it not being, you know, released.

Secondly: Incompetent artists? You realize that is a browser game, right? You can't expect models to be as detailed in a browser game as they will be in a game like Diaspora. Besides, some of them actually look quite good.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Oi!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:48:56 am by Lt.Cannonfodder »

Offline Fish

• Nugget
Crazy ship!

That's actually pretty impressive for a browser game...
<><

Offline newman

God I'm getting tired of this. Torc, we already had one split & lock due to people bashing BGO after being warned not to. Kindly stop, especially if you hold your ability to post dear. It will also help you not feel stupid when the game actually comes out.

As for it being a browser game, in this case the term can be a bit misleading. The browser is just a shell running a fully capable 3d engine. The art specs are what they are because it's a MMO; they need it to run smoothly on 95% of the machines out there. MMOs can look nice but if you think about it, never really have ground breaking, Crysis style art standards.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
i just want to say that this developers don't catch the real spirit of the tv show... obviously they are serious people but i think they are ''incompetent'' regarding the show, not in the personal ability... however,sorry about that ,it will never happen anymore.
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

I wanted to throw two more cents in here.  Due to no one else mentioning it, I thought I would supply some more information.

I am in on the closed Beta for the game.

It is not unlike 'Star Trek Online'.  Except you don't train crew for your ships (at least not that I have seen yet).  Less complex in general than STO.  But so is the technobable when comparing the two universes.

All in all the game is not bad given a couple of factors.  The fact that it is browser based hence can't really store stuff on your harddrive.  So it does have some limitations there but handles it quite well.  The learning curve is quite steep on some aspects.  Which for an MMO I do not care for personally. 

It is by no means designed to compete with anything remotely similar to this.

That would be like saying the 'X-Wing' franchise was competing with 'Star Wars: Rebellion'.  Two completely different styles of games catering to two completely different interest points for gamers.

If you are into MMO games you might want to give BGO a shot.  The expanded stuff that is not cannon definitely makes the game bigger and more to do.  The things that are removed from cannon ideas that I had no issues with them.  The still held the flavor of the universe quite well.  As do the "assignments" that you get for the game.

I hope that helps some.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Crazy ship!

That's actually a much nicer-looking attack fighter than the armed variants of the Raptor. Though it's probably lacking the Hind-like ability to land troops.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Crazy ship!

That's actually a much nicer-looking attack fighter than the armed variants of the Raptor. Though it's probably lacking the Hind-like ability to land troops.
nicer-looking than the raptor!??!
man, our eyes must be quite different.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Wonder what the heck that red line is.  Looks like some kind of laser.

While the ship does look more like an attack craft it just doesn't quite seem to fit the whole battlestar thing.  How the heck would you even land that on one? 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

For the attack role? Damn skippy. More of the Apache in its heritage and less of the H-60.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

For the attack role? Damn skippy. More of the Apache in its heritage and less of the H-60.
so more practical-looking.
Ahh.

Well, I like the look of a UH-60 with the rocket pods on it.

I think that if they took the raptor, and made it thinner and shorter, using an apache-like canopy design would give an attack craft that looks more BSG-like and more dedicated to the role.

And what FUBAR said:  How do you land it?

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
like this?

Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That looks like something from Voyager.  :blah:

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'll gladly stick to a MK VIIE myself  ;)

Shoots down what's up,
           Blows up what's down.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Crazy ship!

*snip*

I agree. Glad I wasn't the only one who saw the Hind resemblance.

Offline newman

That looks like something from Voyager.  :blah:

Unfortunately, I have to agree - kinda looks like a raptor and a type 9 shuttle had an illegitimate child.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
If the 'uglied it up' it wouldn't be to bad.  Hunch up the cockpit so it looks like an AH-1 or AH-64, replace the nose with a big honkin' TADS.  Get rid of the rear doors maybe change the wings a little and replace the pea shooters with a under the nose chain gun.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”