Author Topic: Gender blindness  (Read 18818 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Raised on liez!

So far my favourite bit of BSG (from ep1 to ep10) is the Ace Combat homage tunnel run on the tylium asteroid.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline newman

Yea, Hand of God is definitely one of the best episodes. Wait till you reach a little something called the "Adama maneuver" - won't say anything else to avoid spoiling it for you :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Yea, Hand of God is definitely one of the best episodes. Wait till you reach a little something called the "Adama maneuver" - won't say anything else to avoid spoiling it for you :)

If you make it that far... I didn't. :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

If you make it that far... I didn't. :p

i know it's hard to be so madly in lust with baltar and yet know you'll never have him, never feel the thrill of his self-serving lies in your ear, never hear him promise no more mr. nice gaius, never

i'll be in my bunk

Offline newman

You missed a lot just by missing that. It's one of the coolest moments in sci fi history. And seriously, up until then the show doesn't give you much to complain about. It mostly goes downhill after this, when the season 3 "self contained story per episode" kicks in.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Snagger

Well, as a former British Forces Officer, the whole issue is intensely irksome - it appeared in both Trek and BSG, and I suspect it is something that RDM carried over from the former to the latter.  It's just another awful politically correct sop, typical of the 80s and 90s styling of Trek TNG, which was one of that show's greatest weaknesses.  Everything in TNG was politically correct, even down to the bland sets and androgynous uniforms.  At least the much maligned Voyager managed to dispense with a lot of the PC clap-trap, and I seem to recall that the female officers were referred to as "maam" on Janeway's insistence (I still think she was weak for not airlocking that weak and insubordinate Chakotay, who was a PC sop in himself, then again, Adama should have airlocked Helo too after his sabotage).

Off topic, I agree that Season 3 was a bit weak, but its episode 4 was a big highlight of the entire show.  I also agree that the Miniseries was amongst the best scripting and acting of the run.

Mid-point of Season 2 is also damn good....especially the nice two-parter. Just kept praying to hear 'Downfall' from Adama...not to mention pretty explosions in space and the whole 'look we're doing something in space like what happened at Midway!' deal.

Offline eldain

not to mention we get to see two awesomme battlestars in the offensive
---pencils are not only for picking my nose---

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
How many series are there so far then? I'm about to watch Ep 13 of series 1. I've got series 2 and 3 left to watch.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
How many series are there so far then? I'm about to watch Ep 13 of series 1. I've got series 2 and 3 left to watch.

There are four series, and the miniseries, and that's it. Don't watch The Plan. Razor is okay though.

Offline newman

Razor should probably be watched between seasons 3 and 4. As for The Plan, your call.. it does offer some cool scenes of the attack on the colonies even despite it's obvious flaws.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Ragnar, HoG and Battle of the Rez curb stomp Exodus like it's got a skull made of eggshell and don't let anyone tell you different.  Sure it might have some flashy set pieces but the technical excellence of the previous three can not be denied nor matched by the post season two efforts.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I don't believe there are any functioning organisations which do this.

There are a number of ones that make it the officer in question's choice. Current USN verbage defaults to gender-specific but there's discussion of defaulting to sir instead.

In the absence of a generalized non-gender term and in a military service that is determined to eliminate formalized gender differences, the oldest term winning is probably a reasonable answer.

(Also your research sucks Dekker, it's descended from the French sire, which is descended from sieur, which is a contraction of Seigneur; lord. )
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Really? Hm, every day's a school day.

At least on HLP.  I don't know about the rest of the Internet.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

It's m'am in the Air Force, so I have no idea why they don't use that... Oh well, guess it's one of those things.

Offline Snagger

It's m'am in the Air Force, so I have no idea why they don't use that... Oh well, guess it's one of those things.
Because it's Hollywood, the most PC environment on Earth... :doubt:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Because it's Hollywood, the most PC environment on Earth... :doubt:

Seems to be a contradiction here, seems like you're ignoring the fact that apparently some real militaries are shifting this way:

I don't believe there are any functioning organisations which do this.

There are a number of ones that make it the officer in question's choice. Current USN verbage defaults to gender-specific but there's discussion of defaulting to sir instead.

In the absence of a generalized non-gender term and in a military service that is determined to eliminate formalized gender differences, the oldest term winning is probably a reasonable answer.

(Also your research sucks Dekker, it's descended from the French sire, which is descended from sieur, which is a contraction of Seigneur; lord. )

Nobody's ever managed to define 'PC' for me as anything besides 'something I disagree with', anyway. I think it's ridiculously politically correct to use 'ma'am' and 'sir' separately, as clearly that represents an absurd level of concern with not offending women.  :nervous:

Offline Topgun

I think its PC if you care whether or not you use sir or ma'am.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I think it's PC if we argue about whether we should use 'sir' and 'ma'am' or just 'sir'.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."