Author Topic: Question about Diaspora missile thrusters  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Question about Diaspora missile thrusters
In trailer 3 at 1:24 - 1:28 mark we see missiles thrusters pretty well. Do those missiles have modeled thruster cones like what retail FS2 missile models used to?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Question about Diaspora missile thrusters
Nope those are regular thrusters and/or glow points depending on which weapon. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Nighteyes

yes its a combination of glow point+regular thruster, oh how I wish we could have thrusters like the ones on fighters...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Damn, I had been hoping those would be real thrusters. :(

I've been wanting proper missile thruster for long time, I even made it a feature request.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=69749.0

Perhaps Diaspora coders could add the missing bits and make missile thruster capabilities same as on ships? *hint* *hint* :)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Damn, I had been hoping those would be real thrusters. :(

I've been wanting proper missile thruster for long time, I even made it a feature request.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=69749.0

Wat? Modeled thruster plumes on missiles have been possible since forever. Check out the Nemesis missiles in TBP (the ones fired from the Warlock and G.O.D satellites), they have thruster plumes.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Nighteyes

were not talking about modeled thrusters, those we know are in from retail
what were talking about is the 2D plane thrusters that are on fighters and capships, we want the same thrusters(with many options to customize them) on missiles

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Wat? Modeled thruster plumes on missiles have been possible since forever. Check out the Nemesis missiles in TBP (the ones fired from the Warlock and G.O.D satellites), they have thruster plumes.
I know that very well.

The problem is that modeled thruster cones are obsolete relic from retail that no ship or missile models use anymore. The only difference is that there are methods getting very nice looking thrusters for ships, but not so much for missiles. Hence the post was about getting equal thruster possibilities for missiles that exist for ships.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The problem is that modeled thruster cones are obsolete relic from retail that no ship or missile models use anymore.

Actually no, Diaspora makes heavy use of the technique. Look at the engines on the Theseus and Bolitho for an example of how good that can look.

Some of the tests for using the technique for fighters actually looked better than our fighters do now. Unfortunately they looked less like the show so they had to go. :(
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I know that, but mediavps have made away with those completely and so have FS mods. As far as FS is concerned, they aren't used anymore.

Well screw it, posted a topic about this in FSU board. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=73087.new#new
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:22:40 am by Fury »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Ah, I see what you mean now. Well I'm sure Nighteyes will keep reminding me that he wants this too. If we ever find a coder willing to add them, we'll see about it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]