Author Topic: Did BtRL accidentally all the games?  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Did BtRL accidentally all the games?
So I was thinking; now that FS2 is for sale on GoG and thus, no longer freely available, could BtRL technically be used as it's own mod platform? I.e. instead of doing a mod for FS2, you do a mod for BtRL. Since it has no original content from FS2, it can be freely distributed and thus expand the user base even more, possibly even creating it's own modding and gaming community?

I guess if Diaspora went the same route the same would apply to it,  just a thought.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Did BtRL accidentally all the games?
Just a thought, if you want to start your own TC, how about one where you do NOT infringe on somebody else's copyright?

Also, good luck tracking down BtRL these days.

Also also, good luck getting it to work on current exes without them throwing a hissy fit.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Actually BtRL isn't hard to find file wise as it was, I still have a couple of the original install exes on my drive.
The updates were supposedly being uploaded too...

But honestly, if you think about it - do you want to build a TC off of an older buggy system, or use the current SCP
and rebuild or make a better mod? You'd be better off trying to rip BtRL's assets and trying to do an upgrade. Though
you'll probably have resistance from former BtRL staff over the matter. No point in muddling the waters so to speak.

The copyright thing is humorous considering what the purpose of this entire forum is.
Not to mention the international diversity of it's members.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I don't understand why anyone would do this based on BtRL (which as others have said will fall over as soon as it's exposed to new builds) instead of TBP which is constantly updated via the Zathras mod.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If by "former BTRL staff" you mean Omniscapper, I haven't seen him around for a while. If you mean Diaspora team, I don't think they would object to use of a project they abandoned (BTRL stuff is used left and right anyway, because it's surprisingly high quality, yet generic and not performance intensive).
Also, making a mod for BTRL effectively mean a full TC. There just isn't enough stuff in there for anything but basic mods.
If anything, I'd prefer a "TC creation pack", which would include interface templates (and a ready to use example), some basic HUD, necessary UI and ship sounds, fonts and other things needed to run FS (without ships or weapons). If a mod doesn't use any retail models or references retail tables, you should be able to run it on such pack. Of course, if you're making a mod of that size, custom HUD, UI and sounds are something you'd want to be original anyway (lack of custom HUD is one of relatively few drawbacks of WoD, which could, with a few additions, be turned into a standalone).

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I don't understand why anyone would do this based on BtRL (which as others have said will fall over as soon as it's exposed to new builds) instead of TBP which is constantly updated via the Zathras mod.

It could be that. I don't know much about TBP. Same principle really though. Sounds cool. :)

Personally if someone wanted to use BtRL for a TC I'd give them permission, though I only did tabling and gameplay, so my voice wouldn't really apply to anything but that.

If anything, I'd prefer a "TC creation pack", which would include interface templates (and a ready to use example), some basic HUD, necessary UI and ship sounds, fonts and other things needed to run FS (without ships or weapons). If a mod doesn't use any retail models or references retail tables, you should be able to run it on such pack.

This is actually a really cool idea. It would allow people to easily stitch together their own TCs using the wealth of fan-made content stockpiled in sites like FSMods. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who have grand sci-fi universes concocted in their heads, but simply lack the technical skill to implement said universes into the game engine. A "TC Creation Pack" would definitely help bridge the gap between imagination and reality.