Author Topic: Diaspora FREDing and modding  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Diaspora FREDing and modding
I wouldn't be myself if I hadn't looked though Diaspora assets and tables, to find out how you achieved such wonderful effects.  :)
The first thing that drew my attention were the scripts. There's plenty of them and they're doing very interesting things. Also, tables contain fields that are not even on wiki.
I'd like to know if those new fields are already in SCP test builds, and if not, when will they be? I'd really like to play Diaspora with shadows, and I hope you'll release a patch when deferred lighting goes to trunk. Also, I've been wanting some of these things in my mods for quite some time (weapon overheat comes to mind).
Another thing I'd like to ask about would be a launch and landing tutorial, or better yet, a template. Diaspora missions are too complex to reverse engineer, and this would help with future mission creation. A tutorial for using Diaspora scripts in mission would also be really helpful.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Re: Diaspora FREDing and modding
We're not forked, so everything you see here should also be in current FSO builds. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Advanced tutorials for launching, landing, FTL jumps, and... *drumroll* Raider rack launches will be done in a few weeks when there's some free time.

We're planning on keeping up with trunk in future patches and releases. (see the shadow test video on youtube) I've already tested R1 with shadows and they won't break anything visually, so once it's in trunk it might be something we'll see...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:42:33 pm by Ace »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Actually there's a couple patches that haven't been synced up with Trunk yet. I'm planning on committing them soon into SVN. A lot of it is simply additional HUD gauges and options for HUD gauges.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
An advanced tutorial is needed but the simple fact was that we wanted to get the basic tutorial done first instead. Let's get the newbies to realise that it's ridiculously easy to start making your own missions for Diaspora before we hit them with the fact that tube launches, etc are unfortunately very tricky.

We're going to try to make them easier for R2. Cause it's kinda silly that you can make 90% of the mission and then get stuck on something which should be easily handled by the code.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Another thing I'd like to ask about would be a launch and landing tutorial, or better yet, a template. Diaspora missions are too complex to reverse engineer, and this would help with future mission creation. A tutorial for using Diaspora scripts in mission would also be really helpful.

Nut up, son, I reverse-engineered combat launches in one session with just a wee bit of help! You can do it too.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Actually there's a couple patches that haven't been synced up with Trunk yet. I'm planning on committing them soon into SVN. A lot of it is simply additional HUD gauges and options for HUD gauges.
Is the fighterbay patch limit increase among them? It seems that the Basestar has 24 paths, and I don't think Diaspora would ignore a debug warning like that, so I figure that they all work.