Author Topic: Diaspora tutorial suggestion  (Read 2580 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Diaspora tutorial suggestion
We were just talking about this (again) and someone suggested it actually get made into a thread!

Diaspora's tutorial was safe, smart, and technically excellent. It wasn't what players expect in a modern game. Sandboxed tutorials are out, and part-by-part tutorials built into the action, teaching players what they need as they go, are in. This is actually pretty clever! From a psychological perspective, it breaks up the learning structure into smaller cycles of learning->performance->fun, and it connects skills to bits of narrative.

I think Diaspora could easily do an awesome tutorial like this. In the R1 context we were talking about 'reboot a Viper that's suffered a systems crash/CNI attack'. You can start drifting around the battle Lee-style, get your movement online, complete a movement goal, get your guns, so on. This would get players right into the spectacle that sells the game and smooth out the intimidating learning cliff.

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Re: Diaspora tutorial suggestion
Ace Combat Assault Horizon is probably the worst title in the franchise but they succesfully implemented the most engaging tutorial in all the Ace Combat games by doing exactly what you suggest: flight and weapons checks in the middle of a gigantic air battle above Miami. It definitely works but a bit more involved to implement. I would probably argue the biggest reason we went with a "Now do this" tutorial was because forcing a player's throttle to zero or locking their controls is easier to do and easier to bug test. :P

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The idea behind the second tutorial was to make it so that the score you got at the end was a reason to possibly replay the mission. Unfortunately not many people liked the mission enough to want to replay it. Can't say I blame them to be honest, the mission didn't quite pull it off.

One of the big problems with FS2_Open is the sheer number of controls in the game. Although you can play the game with basic controls I do feel like we're cheating the player somewhat if we don't explain what more than half the controls do. Explaining the advanced controls in a skippable tutorial might be an idea though.

I did have an idea for a new tutorial that would avoid the problem we had with the Shattered Armistice ones but the problem is figuring out how to turn a cool idea into an engaging mission. I also like the idea of a slowly rebooting fighter but that won't fit in with the current R2 plotline. It could work pretty well for R3 possibly.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I also like the idea of a slowly rebooting fighter but that won't fit in with the current R2 plotline. It could work pretty well for R3 possibly.
Well, the tutorial doesn't have to take place in chronological order; you could have it take place during R1, or be a teaser for R3, or even be an isolated incident not part of any of the campaigns where the player dies at the end.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
... where the player dies at the end.

Heh, Frontlines 2335 I'm looking at *you*
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well, the tutorial doesn't have to take place in chronological order; you could have it take place during R1, or be a teaser for R3, or even be an isolated incident not part of any of the campaigns where the player dies at the end.

True, but you have no idea how many complaints we'd get from people who couldn't follow the plot if we did that. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Also, a game like Dark Souls or Bloodborn can probably get away with killing the player as part of the tutorial, but generally speaking you want the player to have some measure of accomplishment.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns