Author Topic: 2010/08/02 - A status update  (Read 16550 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
So the Inferno team is basically gone?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

As far as I know.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well I am excited for MobiMod, but I wanted to play Inferno, as produced by the Inferno team. But I imagine Woomeister is busy with RL and the rest of the team is apparently gone, so blast.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I have to agree with Battuta here.  All of the stuff Mobius is talking about seems rather interesting and all, but it's not anywhere near the concept of Inferno I've had in my head ever since playing the original release.  Sure, that campaign was rough around the edges and had its share of issues, and the model set included several ships that could only be described as "fugly," but those were just quibbles.  Unlike any other mod at the time, Inferno managed to create something that felt like what a plausible FreeSpace sequel could have been, and did so in a way that was both no-frills and on a grand scale.  Even to this day, there are so many moments from the R2 that would have been I'd love to see, and this goes double due to the fact that R1 actually included short blurbs about them in the tech room.  I want to see how the GTVA and EA manage to maintain their uneasy truce, to know just how dire the Shivan threat is, to finally watch the Icanus go head-to-head with the Gigas.  Everything else is extraneous for me.  Just like Batutta, I really want R2, and I'll be royally bummed if I never get to see it happen like that. :(

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
. . . ok, now I'm confused. Snail and Co. hate INFR1 and everything, and really don't want the story to be continued from there. Now you two arrive here, saying that you want an R2, though that seems a bit... unconvincing, coming from Battuta...

Just note that Inferno is not some standard/average campaign/mod.

Anyway...

As far as I know.

Then you don't know far :p Sure, team's a little short on manpower now, but it still exists, to some extent at least.

By the way, I believe we're way off topic.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
. . . ok, now I'm confused. Snail and Co. hate INFR1 and everything, and really don't want the story to be continued from there. Now you two arrive here, saying that you want an R2, though that seems a bit... unconvincing, coming from Battuta...

Hey man, I'm probably one of the only people here who still thinks Inferno has potential. This may be because I worked with Mobius and know that he's a diligent worker, even if I don't agree with his ideas.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

I don't want all my campaigns to be the same. One of the great things about HLP is there's a campaign for every taste. It's like ecology: if everybody completes for the same niche, most die. Not every campaign needs to be some kind of story-driven cinematic fest. What happened to good old fashioned FreeSpace?

And I want to clarify it's not like I'm not excited for what you're doing now, or think it'll suck. I do like it a lot. I just also want to play Inferno, the one we dreamed about.

Well no, it's deader than that. Unless you mean whatever INFASA has become, which looks very interesting but is something different.

As far as I know.

Then you don't know far :p Sure, team's a little short on manpower now, but it still exists, to some extent at least.

It sounds like Mobius is the only original team member left, and actually he's not an original team member, is he? It's a Ship of Theseus except the ship has been rebuilt into some kind of plankton-powered trireme!

Hrrrrrrrngh I want to play INFR2 and see the EA and GTVA deal with that cliffhanger.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:18:48 am by General Battuta »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Icanus comes and blows up the Gigas. There you go. :P

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Then you don't know far

Then who's left of the original team, if I'm wrong? Or did you not understand the question?

A Feddie Story

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Then you don't know far

Then who's left of the original team, if I'm wrong? Or did you not understand the question?

Sorry, but you'll have to empower interactive supply-chains while enabling visionary functionalities. As long as you don't transform seamless platforms!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah. Wait. What?

Hold on you just used that nonsense generator didn't you! Sly dog! :P
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:03:19 am by Snail »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Sorry, but you'll have to empower interactive supply-chains while enabling visionary functionalities. As long as you don't transform seamless platforms!

That's what I thought.

A Feddie Story

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I can't believe popular misinformation about Inferno has reached these levels, really. Things like this happen when people make things up (read below) and just don't know what happens in private forums.

For serious?

Yeah. If you had access to INFA internal you'd interstand.

But there hasn't been a post on INF SCP internal since....last year, right? It seems like you're the only person left of the Inferno team. What happened to Hippo? Sadistic_Sid? Shiv? I know Woo's busy but this creative direction seems totally unlike him. Not bad, necessarily, but very different from old school Inferno.

Absolutely wrong, there's been activity recently. SadisticSid said he's the way too busy with RL to help. As for Shiv and Hippo, read below.

You're actually forgetting about Rampage, who comes here very often to discuss subjects of various importance.

Wait, all team members? These are all INFASA missions, right? INF SCP doesn't have missions so far as I know.

All INFASA team members, which means that many INF SCP members have access to those files as well.

Missions have been made for INF SCP, too, but I have specificately asked to stop development of the main INF SCP campaign for reasons you can find in the status update.

I just don't feel like this is the INF universe any more. It might be something new and cool, and I'm totally open to and heck even really excited for INFASA to see the cool stuff you've done, but it's no longer Inferno, the classic mod Woomeister wowed everyone with back in '01 (wasn't it '01?)

Inferno was about telling a FreeSpace-ish, direct, clear story with minimal narrative trappings, focusing on a bunch of cool new assets and a big big explosive story. It didn't need a lot of exposition and worldbuilding to keep it going.

Seriously, do you think the Inferno Team is composed of blind people? Everyone, me included, get to read comments about the so called "mod with big ships and no story".

You're actually forgetting here that it was Woomeister's choice to remake INFR1 and INFA. Remake. All INF SCP and INFASA plans which have been discussed in the past involved serious changes in the way plots are handled, like the ones you're currently having a chance to monitor.

I liked INFR1 and I want to play INFR2.  :(

You'll play INFASA. Do campaigns all have to feature beam cannons and take place in the Post Capella period to be enjoyable? I think INFASA will be definitely worth the wait.

Also, INFR2 has been cancelled.

Shiv quit, reasons unknown, Hippo has effectively quit over the direction the project has taken, and I haven't seen Sid post in at least a couple of years.

I'm not sure, but I think Shiv quit a few months ago when the project seemed "doomed". Both me and Woomeister weren't active back then so he probably thought the project was dead. Then, both me and Woo came back and progress resumed. As for Hippo: if I got it right, he didn't like the changes and choices me and Woomeister (we had private talks) were introducing and eventually decided to "leave".

As I stated above, anyway, we are in touch with the old team members SadisticSid and Rampage so I wouldn't say that the original team is gone for good.

And by that I hope you were refering to the old team. Well, do you happen to know that Inferno was originally intended to be a FS1 project? Do you realize that, after a decade, people may not have the time to work actively on any FreeSpace project and new people are required to keep running the project?

Well I am excited for MobiMod, but I wanted to play Inferno, as produced by the Inferno team. But I imagine Woomeister is busy with RL and the rest of the team is apparently gone, so blast.

I'm not an INFR1/INF SCP team member but I've been in the INFASA team since the project got started, and worked on all missions, tables and many other things. With the consensus of Woomeister, who has never questioned my dedication to the project, I've also upgraded many graphical effects by importing them from the MVPs and FSPort MVPs.

I also handle progress on things which are not related to the FreeSpace community. Have you read the news? I stated that, at the time of writing, INFASA had 40 minutes of exclusive music. Guess who contacted the artists, monitored and continues to monitor their work? There also are other aspects of development which are totally unrelated to Hard Light, but I won't reveal anything until they come to fruition (it won't be long, anyway).

Hey man, I'm probably one of the only people here who still thinks Inferno has potential. This may be because I worked with Mobius and know that he's a diligent worker, even if I don't agree with his ideas.

I know some of my ideas are a bit unconventional but, as I stated elsewhere, I'm experimenting new things. Read below.

I don't want all my campaigns to be the same. One of the great things about HLP is there's a campaign for every taste. It's like ecology: if everybody completes for the same niche, most die. Not every campaign needs to be some kind of story-driven cinematic fest. What happened to good old fashioned FreeSpace?

We have something in common: we don't want all campaigns to be the same. It's pretty much the reason why so many changes have been made to Inferno, and it also explains why things will proceed this way until Woomeister says otherwise.

I don't know if the new Inferno will be "better" or "worse" compared to other projects. I do know, however, that it will be original. And IMHO, originality occasionally makes games and campaigns more memorable more than stunning plots and models do. Think about the Ricochet Effect: have you ever seen anything like it in any FreeSpace campaign? It may piss people off, who knows, but it kinds of mark a different trend in Inferno.

If you take a look at the most popular FreeSpace campaigns, you'd easily realize how originality can really make the difference. Take Transcend, Age of Aquarius and Sync, for example (I still have to play WiH, I'm too busy to do it now).

And I want to clarify it's not like I'm not excited for what you're doing now, or think it'll suck. I do like it a lot. I just also want to play Inferno, the one we dreamed about.

[...]

It sounds like Mobius is the only original team member left, and actually he's not an original team member, is he? It's a Ship of Theseus except the ship has been rebuilt into some kind of plankton-powered trireme!

Hrrrrrrrngh I want to play INFR2 and see the EA and GTVA deal with that cliffhanger.

What I said about RL and its influences over team members in one decade? You're kind of saying that new team members aren't capable of delivering a product of quality. How so?

Nanotech and all other changes have been approved by the project leader, Woomeister. Any claim that I'm introducing an unauthorized revolution to Inferno are wrong. At first they may seem very, very, very unconventional but once people know them better all problems literally disappear.

The Icanus comes and blows up the Gigas. There you go. :P

Yeah.

But how is that going to happen? What will the EA and GTVA face before that? Without considering the victory of the Icanus, the plot is totally unknown to the public.

Read above. To be honest, unless you're indirectly claiming that new team members are some sort of inepts (wrong) and/or that the latest additions have been introduced without the approval of the leader (wrong), I don't see the point in asking such a question.

Finally, I'd like to say the following:

1) INFASA's release is not as remote as it may seem. In order to get things done, however, we need a couple of modellers and texturers to handle assets that urgently need to be done. There are missions which are almost entirely based on these designs, so their importance is quite high. We do have placeholders of some sort, but definitely need to get a very few models done to complete INFASA's modpack. If you think Inferno has potential, if you have (or know someone with) modelling skills and, more importantly, enough spare time, apply to join the project. What I'll be doing in the future, besides working on the project itself, will be trying to show to the whole community that INFASA has a lot of potential and is a project people should definitely look forward to. Then, additional people will hopefully join INF and bring more life to the project.

Work on INF SCP hasn't been stopped for some unexplainable reason. With the current team, the overall quality (FREDding excluded) of a rushed INF SCP would not match the expectations. We're just waiting for the right moment to resume development so that the final result will be stunning;

2) Now that Woomeister is temporarily away, I'm taking care of a few things here and there. For example, with the recent release of 3.6.12 Media VPs, I'll have to check them out and import all necessary files. After we get the modpack updated and sort a few things out, I'll work intensely on the missions (which, bear in mind, have already been FREDded) with the purpose of improving their quality and adapting them to the OCP system. As you can see, even if a lot of work will be necessary, things are not in bad shape. Not at all;
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's all fine and good, you don't have to prove you're a perfectly smart clever person to me, but what's going to come out of this isn't going to be what we were all excited for back in the old days. It might be really cool, in fact it probably will be, but maaaaan.  :(

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
What are you actually looking forward to? I was planning to create polls, but I don't see the problem in letting community members post here what they want. :)

More importantly, what's getting you worried about the new plans? As I said, MTA is just a background thing and I doubt it'll be even mentioned in the campaigns. I have the impression that you guys think the campaigns are centered on MTA, which is kind of exaggerated. (Heh, I would dislike the idea myself.)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I was looking forward to a direct sequel to INFR1 with a simple, direct plot (a bit of added twistiness and depth, perhaps), lots of cool new ships and weapons, and a development team filled with such lovely lads as Woomeister, SadisticSid, Hippo, and Rampage. INFR1 glass cannon syndrome could get fixed and the story could be given an extra coat of polish, but it would've remained true to the 'this is FreeSpace storytelling in the classic mold' model.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Woomeister is and will remain the project leader, and as I told you there are other team members who, to some extent, are contributing to development: both Sid and Rampage posted their plans to let new team members like me know them, and their influence on what you'll be seeing is going to be noticeable. Rampage even FREDded an INF SCP mission and claimed he will help us out with INFASA, so I wouldn't say that the good old team has completely disappeared.

Oh, I'm afraid you will not be able to play a direct sequel to INFR1 anytime soon. Woomeister decided to remake INFR1 well before the two of us even joined the community. The fact is that INFR1 is now obsolete, and with all the roster changes it'd be quite impossible to create a sequel that would match it.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I know that. But the fact that INF SCP hasn't had activity for a year is sad.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
If you mean actual work, it's probably true. Discussions regarding the roster are more recent, though, and were also quite important.

I take full responsibility for that choice. INFASA is intended to pave the way to a future INF SCP and, almost certainly, it will be worth both the wait and the effort.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Shiv quit, reasons unknown
You want to know why have I quit? I've quit because direction of the new Inferno isn't classic as back in '01 anymore.
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...