Author Topic: pof suite?  (Read 6175 times)

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
this is a little far fetched, and tough to do.  But here goes.  A member of the Combat federation staff brought up a good idea, (albeit a tough one).  A pof constructor that lets you model a ship, texture it (using only fs2 pallet colors)  and then create the pof for it.  I know this would be tough, but the finished product would also rock.  Hell, with a descent enough tutorial even an artistic moron such as myself would learn to model and texture.

I don't know the feasibility of something like this, or if anyone would even be interested in it.  Just throwing an idea out there, and it's kinda source code.......
« Last Edit: August 14, 2002, 07:58:42 pm by 820 »
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
erg... um... i got a url for you http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=26889&release_id=102349

the idea of an integrated geometry editor is absurb - because of the format - the any BSP [Btree, QTree or OTree] is NOT given to geometry changes - thats why we have editor formats like COB, MAX, etc that are highly given to geometry changes - but are not suitable for real time.

Just leave the POF Constructor Suite to me - and stop stepping on my program names!!!!

yes i am being terrroritorial, so bite me.  Find something else to code, i have this covered - or if you absolutely insist I WILL TAKE HELP, i could use someone to implement conversion plugins to support new formats
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
1) An incredible amount of work, methinks.  3D modelling programs are major software, and not likely to be knocked off by a bunch of amateurs in a few minutes, or months or years.

2)
Originally posted by ShadowWolf_IH
(using only fs2 pallet colors)

FS2 can use as many colours as supported by your video card.  The trick is that each pcx and ani file has to have an internal pallette of 256 colours.  Those 256 colours in the image can be any colours at all, just as long as there are only 256 of them.  Another image might have a totally different set of colours in its internal pallette, and that is fine, just as long as there are of 256 of them as well.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
further more - why waste MILLIONS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF CODING TIME duplicating programs like TrueSpace and 3DS Max, etc when they already do that job - and with truepace you can alreaddy handle it with just a tutorial and some practice - i learned to use it before writing POF Constructor Suite and improved my skills as i wrote it

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
for reference - the existing code base for POF Constructor Suite is 15 thousand lines of code - that's down from 18.5 thousand lines of code before i stripped out 4.5klines and replaced it with 1klines with a more efficient renderer [the only part that was really inefficient, i was kicking myself in the ass for that stupid renderer design i used the first time] and i have probably ripped out a total of 5 klines before that - in various phased

that means i have written a total of about 25 thousand lines of code just to compile COBs into POFs, edit the POF data, and render them unaccelerated - and i am not finished with the renderer - i have many features to add to the editor, etc

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
so i gotta ask ya kazan, if i was a programmer don't you think i would know this crap?  I didn't mean to piss on your wheaties with the name of the thing.  I posted it here because it was  coding question.  Not something that i am working on, or even can work on.  A little less hostility, more beer or prozac, whichever will mellow you out some.  

as long as you are being territorial, what else have you left your scent on?  That way i know not to go that way either.  

I'll apologize now to the rest of the forum, i didn't realize that asking a feasibility question brought to me by a member of my staff would result in open displays of testerone on overdrive.

anyway, thanks ses for clearing up some of my own misconceptions about how graphics work.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2002, 09:07:35 pm by 820 »

Casualties of War

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
[edit]now that you icq'ed me i suppose i'll explain why i am pissed

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
and now that we have both settled down, we realize that kazan is a good programmer, and that i have no clue about programming.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2002, 09:23:34 pm by 820 »

Casualties of War

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
excuse my outburst of annoyance and anger - this subject has been beat into the ground - but to explain to everyone ONE LAST TIME i'll quote right out of icq

21:25:57 [D---] 28119425:
this subject has been beat into the ground, and that's why it annoys me when people bring it up wihtout understanding the file formats

21:27:52 [D---] 28119425:
see 3d model formats used in games have their data in a very inflexible storage format - most commonly a BSP tree of somesort - a be it based off a binary tree, a quad tree or an octree - POFs happen to use a near-quadtree [it actually branches five times]

to move one polygon you have to completely decompile and recompile the tree

21:29:53 [D---] 28119425:
thats why there are 3d modeling environment formats like COB that keep their polys in a list - they don't have to have features like realtime acceleration and collision detection in REAL TIME so they don't have to have things like BSP trees - they have the luxery of not really caring how many processor cycles they eat up so they can store their polygons in lists making the format very flexible

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i remember a little program called polytron that was used to make descent 2 robots. i also remember that i never got a single robot to work in descent 2 with the thing. bsp errors caused all kinds of funky graphics glitched. i didnt get a bot to work in that game till i got cob->pm, which by the way worked the first time i tried it. i like modeling programs better, they are easyer to use.

now i need to pull a newer version of kazan's tool, the one i use is a little dated.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
What may be cool...and im not sure if this is possible at all or not...is supporting that free 3DS Max program...umm...the name eludes me.  Designed for modeling 3D models for games.  Supported by games like Renegade and Quake.

Kazan, is that possible at all?  That would certainly make it easier for a larger majority to get ahold of a uptodate 3D modeling program.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by ShadowWolf_IH
anyway, thanks ses for clearing up some of my own misconceptions about how graphics work.

No problem. :)
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Inquisitor

Gmax needs a license for the game. Now if someone wrote a milkshape exporter for POF :)
No signature.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
g-max works for quake?

url please!
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Anaz

Originally posted by Nuke
g-max works for quake?

url please!

google is your friend...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
Originally posted by Inquisitor
Gmax needs a license for the game. Now if someone wrote a milkshape exporter for POF :)

PLEASE!!!!!
PLEASE!!
Please!:nod:
It would make it SO much less time consuming in TS!

Or more easily, a format (either a an actual file format or a way or arranging the model and PCS could read .ms3d files) that PCS understnads so every one uses the same tool (nearly) kind of thing
« Last Edit: August 15, 2002, 03:30:19 am by 307 »
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Inquisitor
Gmax needs a license for the game....

..and license = $$$ :(
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Ahhh I see...ok...nix that idea.

Whats Milkshape like and would that be beneficial?
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
ok the agreement is simple....i don't program anything and Kazan doesn't weld anything....that said i have another question.

in the pof editor, where you add the coordinates for guns, missile launchers, etc etc, and slots.......how difficult would it be to have a window open that displays a model of the ship?  That way you could just click on whatever part you wanted to be a gun point, missile point, or whatever.  Is this even feasible?  To be honest i am just a fredder and table guy.  I leave mod making and programming to people who are smarter than me.  

If this is another bad idea from your local source of bad ideas, just click the crack statement in the poll.

Casualties of War