Author Topic: Patch: Custom ship explosion sound  (Read 3338 times)

Offline m!m

Patch: Custom ship explosion sound
The attached patch adds a "$ExplosionSnd" ship class option after "$CargoScanningSnd" to specify a ship specific explosion sound.

Regards,
m!m

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: Patch: Custom ship explosion sound

Why not propagate it near/with the customizable Death/Explosions entries that Wanderer put in? Would make more sense there I'd think unless we're just grouping (or attempting to) all sound related elements together.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline m!m

I thought grouping the sound related entries would be the best way to do it as then the parse function can also be put into the dedicated parse_ship_sounds function.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Sorry if i bump this thread, but should some coder take a look at it please?

This code can solve me a huge sound issue.

Thanks in advance for the help...hope to don't bother you :)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Eli2

The patch looks good, one idea thou.

Would it be possible to do the selection of the explosion sound when parsing the ship.
and add the mapping from SND_SHIP_EXPLODE_1 to SND_CAPSHIP_EXPLODE or SND_SHIP_EXPLODE_2 there ?

You could remove the ship_has_sound function then.

Sounds like a good patch, if it works well I'll definitely experiment with that. Would be great to give Shivan ships a much different, alien sound when their ships explode, for instance.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline m!m

Sorry to :bump: but
I had a talk with Eli2 on IRC about this patch but we didn't come to a satisfying solution for the mostly redundant ship_has_sound function which doesn't break backwards compatibility. Can somebody take a look?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Why is ship_has_sound() redundant?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline m!m

It only differs in two line from ship_get_sound() but I think it's the only way.

Offline m!m

:bump: ing again but the attachment in the first post got deleted. I'd really appreciate a review of the patch as it could be really helpful :nod:

[attachment deleted by a ninja]

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
hello.... sorry about re-bumping,but the review of this patch would be great....thanks for the help.
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

i agree too, this could be quite usefull. so bump