Author Topic: 20040401 test build - memory footprint reduction  (Read 9311 times)

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
20040401 test build - memory footprint reduction
This new build is certainly faster in loading times. Although I do get the same speed in game (60 Fps , 30 in nebula. That's with all gubbin's switched on)
I used to have slight jumps pertaining to sound, but they are completly destroyed.

Good jorb!

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
I had huge stuttering problems in-game with this build.
I was playing the sixth Wonder with Lightspeed Nebula and when almost at the end of the mission the sound and game starts to freeze up.
EDIT:  I think it's only going to happen once, so don't worry about it:D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 04:42:08 pm by 1472 »
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

the Good: Mission load times have gone down.  The very last FS2 campaign mission (supernova) loaded in 10 seconds flat.  Nice work.  Memory usage has also gone down.  I think virtual memory is no longer used on my 512-mb ram machine.

the Bad: The stutters are still there.  They appear in the following situations: 1) beginning of the mission  2) first time looking at a planet in the background (the TGA ones)  3) first time looking at a new ship model, whether warping in or targeting window.
The afterburner trails are still invisible (am I the only one?).  Windows performance is still a little sluggish (though better than before) after playing SCP (trouble unloading SCP from RAM?).

Looking forward to: working Lightspeed Nebulas in FS2 campaign
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
AB trails need a specal table entry for them, open up you'r ship[s.tbl and see if under the afterburner section of any ships to see something about AB trails, the table in the root directory over rides the one in the data directory, wich overrides the one in the VP
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Shaka

The very last FS2 campaign mission (apocalypse) loaded in 10 seconds flat. :ick:

:D

No I see nothing about AB trails under the AB section.  I see only the trails section (end of a ship's data) and an AB section with stuff like burn rate, etc...  This ships.tbl is the one from Lightspeed's weapon effects pack
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and he never made AB trails, so untill you get a ships table with AB trails in them, you are not going to have them in game, it's not a bug, you can do it yourself, just find the ships table from the AB trails build and find the bit in the table that describes the AB trails and copy and past it into the one you'r useing now (be sure to make a backup of the one you'r useing now) I think I only had one or two diferent trails for the diferent ships, I think I made one trail for fighters and one for bombers of each speciese.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
This build is absolutely amazing! I have never had the game run so smoothly, not even in vanilla mode. I only have 128 Mb of RAM, and a 32 Meg Vid card, and even in Nebula missions, my FPS's were ~30!  Slight increase in loafing times, yes, but nothing too amazing.  I'm going to try qith 32-bit jpeg and targa's now.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Question
Will any build after this have these changes?
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Yes.  The changes had been added to CVS before this build so this build was only to make sure that it worked as I had advertised.

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Cool, and thanks :D
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought