Author Topic: 20041230 test build  (Read 30652 times)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by KyJelly

it is connected and working as it works in starlancer and is in the game controlers control panel

huh.

there's actually a few joystick options available, try looking through that if the launcher doesn't automatically detect your primary game controller.  :nod:
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline KyJelly

Originally posted by Turnsky

huh.

there's actually a few joystick options available, try looking through that if the launcher doesn't automatically detect your primary game controller.  :nod:

i've tried all available options in the pulldown menu. whats strange is that i have a generic gamepad that works but my flight stick don't. also if i run the original launcher and choose the controller then run the original game i get an error, but can still get into the controler config screen in the original fs2 and the controller works!!!

also i'm using launcher 5.2. would that matter?
u got a link for 5.0?
P4 3ghz
6800 Ultra

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
Originally posted by KyJelly

ialso i'm using launcher 5.2. would that matter?
u got a link for 5.0?

i'm not terribly sure, pick the codies brains over it, i'm just an artist, and not knowledgable in such fanciful objects :p
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was ripping my hair out for two days trying to get my usb MS ffb2 jostick working using the launcher. By accident I opened the XP game controllers settings > Advanced > "select the device you want to use with older programs" and I'll be damned if it didn't start working! I've never seen this simple fix posted anywhere else either.It has always worked with every other program except FS2 SCP until now.
  Awesome program by the way-long live open source!!
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Offline KyJelly

Originally posted by rainbearnorth
I was ripping my hair out for two days trying to get my usb MS ffb2 jostick working using the launcher. By accident I opened the XP game controllers settings > Advanced > "select the device you want to use with older programs" and I'll be damned if it didn't start working! I've never seen this simple fix posted anywhere else either.It has always worked with every other program except FS2 SCP until now.
  Awesome program by the way-long live open source!!

i'll try it when i get home, but last time i played scp was about 6 months ago and the controller worked fine at that point.  kinda weird... we'll see.
P4 3ghz
6800 Ultra

Offline KyJelly

well amazing!!! thank you it worked. but still strange :)

edit: i have noticed that force feedback doesn't work tho.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 11:22:46 pm by 2072 »
P4 3ghz
6800 Ultra

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Update on the crashing issue:

Taylor, I can get it to crash on mission 12 every single time.  HOWEVER, if I switch to Direct 3D as my API (1024x768@32-bit) it plays like normal.

Just incase you want to test my pilot, you can download the relevant files here. (stick in the /data/players/single/ dir)
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Vertigo1
Taylor, I can get it to crash on mission 12 every single time.  HOWEVER, if I switch to Direct 3D as my API (1024x768@32-bit) it plays like normal.

Alright I'll test it out.  Got rather distracted by TBP 3.0 and hadn't gotten that far in RR yet. :D

I'll test it tonight or in the morning and get back to you tomorrow.

With the latest incarnation of this exe, -nobeampierce seems to be broken. With it enabled beams from any hostile ship from whatever race are unaffected by shields, whereas it functioned normally in the 20041230 build.

Also, enabling -loadonlyused causes a hard crash with the MS error reporting dialogue after 1-2 minutes of play on any level.

No other problems I can find however.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I noticed that some people earlier in the thread were saying that they get much higher framerates in OpenGL than D3D when using this build.  For me, it's the exact opposite; OpenGL is much choppier than D3D, and if I happen to be looking at an HTL model, it slows to an absolute crawl.  (This happens with every HTL model in the Tech Room; I seem to remember it also occurring in-mission as well.)  My PC isn't anywhere near fast (Radeon X300, 512 RAM, 3.0 ghz processor), but D3D runs very smoothly.  I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is just shinemaps, but I think I was getting the same problem in OpenGL after turning off specular effects.  I'll have to try it again and compare results, though.  I'd love to use OpenGL and see those absolutely stunning shinemaps, but obviously if it makes the game unplayable, I can't.  Oh well; even without them, everything looks fantastic, and the build is great.  I just downloaded the new VP files, and the new effects are jaw-dropping. :D

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
Originally posted by Mongoose
I noticed that some people earlier in the thread were saying that they get much higher framerates in OpenGL than D3D when using this build.  For me, it's the exact opposite; OpenGL is much choppier than D3D, and if I happen to be looking at an HTL model, it slows to an absolute crawl.  (This happens with every HTL model in the Tech Room; I seem to remember it also occurring in-mission as well.)  My PC isn't anywhere near fast (Radeon X300, 512 RAM, 3.0 ghz processor), but D3D runs very smoothly.  I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is just shinemaps, but I think I was getting the same problem in OpenGL after turning off specular effects.  I'll have to try it again and compare results, though.  I'd love to use OpenGL and see those absolutely stunning shinemaps, but obviously if it makes the game unplayable, I can't.  Oh well; even without them, everything looks fantastic, and the build is great.  I just downloaded the new VP files, and the new effects are jaw-dropping. :D

actually, i've noticed that my framerates albiet a little lower than the D3D build, they've been far more consistant,  and hardly ever drop below the 20-25 FPS mark (it usually hovers at 50+ any other time)
anything more than 20 is pretty good, as that's the usual framerate for any television picture to maintain smoothness. :nod:
   //Warning\\

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by taylor

Alright I'll test it out.  Got rather distracted by TBP 3.0 and hadn't gotten that far in RR yet. :D

I'll test it tonight or in the morning and get back to you tomorrow.

*looks at calendar*

;)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
*looks at calendar*

:D  Yeah I was trying to wait until I had a better response than "Works for me!".  That mission is using a ton of memory, bit over 600meg total in my case.  And that's with some memory optimization fixes that aren't in CVS yet.  Mission 1 is pretty high too but the ones in between that and 12 weren't so bad.  Can't remember how much memory you said you had (1gig?) but run it in OpenGL mode, in a window, with Task Manager going and see how much memory it's really taking.  You'll have to position the two windows so you can see what you need without switching back and forth but I'd be interesting in seeing what you get.  That mission did have some -loadonlyused problems as well but you weren't using that option.

OpenGL is much choppier than D3D

What drivers are you using?  You can also try the -novbo option.  It was orginally to fix a crash but I'm leaving it in because some video drivers aren't optimized properly and VBOs, which are supposed to make HTL models faster, are actually slower.  It's been my experience that if you have a major difference in D3D and OGL framerates then your drivers tend to suck.  Don't know if that's the problem here but get me your driver version and I'll see if I can find any known speed issues.

With the latest incarnation of this exe, -nobeampierce seems to be broken

Hmm, I don't see anychanges between the builds that would cause this.  Goober made a change to the beam code just before the last build but it looks ok to me with a quick look.  I'll look at it, or Goober may say something.

The -loadonlyused issue is known.  It should also be fixed with the changes I just put in CVS.  Check the next build that someone puts out and see if it's still a problem.  If so then let me know.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by taylor

:D  Yeah I was trying to wait until I had a better response than "Works for me!".  That mission is using a ton of memory, bit over 600meg total in my case.  And that's with some memory optimization fixes that aren't in CVS yet.  Mission 1 is pretty high too but the ones in between that and 12 weren't so bad.  Can't remember how much memory you said you had (1gig?) but run it in OpenGL mode, in a window, with Task Manager going and see how much memory it's really taking.  You'll have to position the two windows so you can see what you need without switching back and forth but I'd be interesting in seeing what you get.  That mission did have some -loadonlyused problems as well but you weren't using that option.

Half a gig actually.  What's funny is that the game runs like a dream when its running.  I'll get back to you on the memory usage though.  Though it might be nice if you checked your ICQ every now and then.  I left you a couple of messages that you haven't responded to.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Though it might be nice if you checked your ICQ every now and then.

I'm seldomly available to chat and when I get online people swamp me so I tend to just not run it.  I usually set it to away when I do run it but I'll get on tonight when I get the chance and try to keep it going more often.

I'm actually hoping that your problem isn't just memory related since that's much more difficult to fix.  The way it's crashing I would say it's something in the code that transfers VBOs to the card but that can be memory related (in a weird case).  If you haven't already try running it with no cmdline options except what's required for the mod.  If it's ok then add them back one at the time until it crashes.  If it's -glow or -spec that makes it crash then it could be VBO related.  Not using any cmdline options can greatly reduce the memory footprint as well.  Using -glow with the MediaVPs will probably add about 30-40meg to that mission by itself.

I've been playing with this and it seems to crash from time to time, always after accepting a finished mission...

Here are the cmdline and specs:
D3d 1024x768x32 EAX
C:\Games\FS2Open365\fs2_open_T-20050103.exe -spec -glow -pcx32 -jpgtga -3dwarp -dnoshowvid -fps -stats  -allslev

AMD64 3000+ Geforce4 MX-440 1Gb RAM WinXP SP2 SB Audigy 2

I'm adding this to mantis #299.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm using the latest Catalyst drivers available for download off of ATI's site.  The version number of the drivers is 6.14.10.6497.  Hope this helps.

P.S.  I didn't make the post about -nobeampierce. :p

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
P.S.  I didn't make the post about -nobeampierce. :p

Slight cut and paste error. ;) I'll check on the performance issues and get back to you.

<wonders exactly where I pasted "DrunkenPirate" and if I need to apologize to anyone... :nervous: >

@mrduckman: Try the debug build and see if it gives you anything.  It may not happen enough to make that a worth while thing to do but according to the mapfile it's anim related and that doesn't make much sense.  It's always when you hit the accept button in the debriefing though right?

Right. I'll try when I get back from work. I'll be on ICQ/MSN.

Been testing this build for a while now. Since I KNOW that whenever I'm out of memory I get white boxes, that has to be why other people do, so its not the game's fault. I now have 1 gig of PC3200 and the White Box of Death problem never happens anymore unless I've been running way too many missions back-to-back or running background applications while the game is running.

BTW...Load Only Used Weapons crashes a lot of missions, so I turned it off. I don't notice a speed difference anyway.

I do have questions about 4 things though.

1) What does TBP Warp Effects exactly DO?
2) I run in 32 bit color mode with ALL media vp's installed. Will turning off PCX32 make things worse eye-candy wise, or will it all look the same?
3) Compression...PCX compression that is. Will it affect performance or quality whether it's on or off in OpenGL?
4) Mip mapping only works in D3D, right?

P.S. Oops. I just checked the first post and realized you released a new build. Regarding your RLM tag, I'll run off and test it right now and take comparison shots of a shiny ship...hmm...artemis

*runs off*

UPDATE 1: I don't notice a difference (at least, in the tech room with the artemis that is). I wonder however if your new lighting code will fix my nebula blackness issue. I'll go test that right away...

UPDATE 2: Okay, so I didn't test the nebula yet, but I noticed that the Deimos is much more better lit with RLM active. Seems to be most noticeable on large HTL ships (note to self, test on the star trek ships later)...more on nebula working or not in a bit.

UPDATE 3: Sorry...the Trinity mission's ships are still all jet black as night any settings whatsoever. =( Bummer. What gets me is that I'm using the same card (Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb) as someone else in this thread who sees the Aquitaine fine in that mission...I AM using Catalyst 4.11 instead of latest 4.12 but...well...erm...im not in an upgradey mood tonight. As for RLM, its a massive improvement over what I had before with lighting. The Deimos looks realistically metallic now and some other ships also look a lot better. It is subtle though and since ppl are used to the old one I say leave RLM off by default but offer it as an option for now

I have to say though, RLM makes already-smooth ships (e.g. the Perseus HTL and the Herc HTL and other sleek ships) look awesome. Even without TruForm. Combine this RLM feature with TruForm support, and we'll have absolutely uber looking lighting capabilities for those lucky few (not me though, i dont have an X800, just the 9800 Pro) with awesome radeon cards
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 08:28:03 pm by 1644 »