Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 - There's a demo now  (Read 23776 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Mass Effect 3 - There's a demo now
I recall that being the criteria under which it was acceptable to make a new thread. Anybody played it yet?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Mass Effect 3 - There's a demo now
Yep, was decent. They nerfed inferno ammo though, based on the demo it seems disruptor is the best general purpose ammo now. Combat is more fluid than before which is nice. Can't really say much about writing as the demo is short. Guess it's very much typical ME in that regard. It's a shame that the demo didn't cover any customization, like weapons. Would've been nice to see how they brought that back from ME1.

I still have ME3 on pre-order and I saw no reason to cancel it after playing the demo.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I found the Demo funny.

When the Normandy comes in and howers for a full minute while Anderson and Sheppard chat - all the while sorounded by several reapers who seem to ignore the sitting duck of a warship.
And when it lifts off aaagonizingly slow..again sorounded by reaers...just so Shep can longigly look at the shuttles getting destroyed.

Shooty bits are fun, but the writing/story is Michal Bay level. Or the new ST movie level.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
I found all the "HOWDO YOU STOP SOMETINHG POEWFUL!!!!111" comments utterly hilarious. It's looking to be ****, but maybe it, just maybe it'll have a halfway decent story.  :doubt:

They didn't even add the classic "enemy blocks out the sun" visual. So simple, yet so powerful when used right. Plus the Reapers seem more interested in blowing up humankind's parks than their "harvest humans" shtick.  :nono:

Hell the Reaper noises are ripped from War of the Worlds. Hell, the Tripods would of done a better job than these mecha-cthulhu wannabes.  :nod:

I can imagine it now: "Please, you must help us! The reapers are blowing up all our parks and something like 9 people have died!  :lol:

Offline Mikes

I can imagine it now: "Please, you must help us! The reapers are blowing up all our parks and something like 9 people have died!  :lol:

We have little choice Commander, we have to nuke those Cities now before those Reapers kill any more people! Quickly Commander, the fate of the Galaxy is in your hands!!!

Yeah... I guess?
                                                                                  I
Yes! Nuke em before more people die, uh...   -------     -------- Die in a Fire! Die Die!
                                                                                  I                                       
                                                                    Fireworks! Pretty!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:52:12 am by Mikes »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
okay I played this

It's been a long tough road but I've adjusted my expectations for Bioware/Mass Effect writing down to the required level. I was still a little disappointed. The dialogue in this demo was trite and contrived; characters visibly broke from naturalism in order to utter MAJOR THEMES: anderson bloo blah we don't fight for the ones who die we fight for the ones still standing at the end

The dialogue choices Shep made might as well have been selected for you (and hey, they can be!) I can't think of a single conversation in the demo that branched in any meaningful way. If Choice A and Choice B both lead to Outcome C THAT'S THE PLAN SHEPARD!?!?!?!?!?!?! what's the point ugggggh Bioware just hire the entire Alpha Protocol writing team ****

It was pretty funny to watch them butcher their own lore. Check it out I'm a millennia old Reaper with impossibly advanced technology. gonna hover here and blow up literally one apartment at a time with my anti-ship weapons. what's that a frigate less than a kilometer away? sorry bros too busy killing apartments

keep chattin shep, just gonna kill some kids

keep chattin, i'm almost done

okay fly away, we won't bother tryin to intercept, see you at the end of the script

Getting the Normandy in and out of that city should've been about as difficult as the Iraqi Air Force airlifting Saddam out of Baghdad post-Invasion. The only way to make it plausible is to drop a cliche in: oh the reapers are inscrutable oh the reapers just aren't concerned with one frigate oh the reapers were busy harvesting people ghhhhhhhhhhhhhkkkkkkkkkk

Why the **** are you landing on Earth and stomping around and shooting things with these tiny little useless lasers you dumb Reapers jesus christ

All that said I enjoyed the gameplay, except for the ****ty cover system constantly getting me killed! I like the return of some of the ME1 complexity, I like that insanity is even harder.

This game's plot and dialogue writing are going to be the worst kinds of **** but I'm probably going to enjoy it anyway.

e: the fact that the man who wrote the most interesting science fiction in ME2 is no longer with bioware is probably a bad sign
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:57:38 am by General Battuta »

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
I bought the game for a fun, dumb, epick sci-fi advenshur.  And a fun, dumb, epick sci-fi advenshur I shall have.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just in case this wasn't mentioned over the SP criticisms: The multiplayer actually is a ton of fun.

EDIT:

Yes, it really is. Although there are only two maps available, the fact that it's a very fluid system that alternates between generic "kill all the dudes" and "do this objective while killing dudes" styles of gameplay, the level of customization that you can get through upgrades and new unlocked races makes it very rewarding.

In case you're wondering how it all works, this is basically it: You first create a character. At the beginning, you're locked into humans as the only available race, and you can choose any of the Mass Effect classes. During missions, you earn both XP and credits, XP unlock abilities as usual, while credits can be used to purchase equipment packs. There are two levels available, a recruit pack for 5k that holds 5 items, some of which may be uncommon (in the TCG sense of the word). These can be usable one-shot equipment, like Medigel shots, ammo reloads, rocket launcher ammo (Which you will fully appreciate when an Atlas appears), weapons, weapon customization items, or class/race combos. If you get a class/race combo you already have, you get bonus XP for that class.

Before going into a mission, you have the opportunity to adjust your loadouts, this uses the same mechanic that was hinted at for singleplayer where powers will recharge faster the less weight you carry around with you.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:17:48 pm by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Played SP on the 360
What Battuta said + that I absolutely hate the narrow zoomed in FOV the game has going. Makes me feel like im playing the game with horse blinders on.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
agree with the above. The levels seem less linear now, even though they still are. more stuff in them I suppose. Adrenaline rush seems slightly buffed from the last game, though i miss the color wash out and sound distortion. I couldn't always tell if i was actually doing anything when using it or not. the leveling system is interesting. I don't know if it actually makes characters more diverse or not. seems just like the last system with a little bit more tacked on. The multilayer is fun tho. no complaints there. The characters seem. . .a little. . .outa character. Wrex and Anderson mostly.  biggest thing that bugs me. why would shepherd let himself be sidelined and go "soft"? just doesnt fit

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, as is well known, I don't give a flying **** about games beyond a certain skin-depth, but I have to say that a) I'm not liking the direction they're going with it art-wise (it looks darker and contrived and as a result...just a bit wrong. The second level had some nicer aesthetics going on [brah]). **** the new cover system. Combat was fun as hell apart from that though, and I hope conversations get a tad more complex, as was earlier pointed out.

**** it looks fun, will buy. :D

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I have played it and i enjoyed it, i nearly cried at the scene with the kid mixed with Clints amazing soundtrack. Roll on the 9th of march!!! yeah it seemed abit linear but i hope thats just because its the demo, regardless i reckon i will enjoy the full game, i like the new darker art direction.

This would of made a good launch trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWjPRsYZlFw&list=FLbWnm38z2POJfpiXTkKF0OQ&index=2&feature=plpp_video
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:14:21 am by starbug »
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
clicked demo download button.  next screen had "ORIGIN" at the top.  immediately closed the browser window. 

looks like i'm not playing it.
I like to stare at the sun.

clicked demo download button.  next screen had "ORIGIN" at the top.  immediately closed the browser window. 

What's wrong with Origin?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
With some luck, it'll end up on Steam one day, then get a 50% (or better) price cut on a big sale. Then I'll be getting it.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

What's wrong with Origin?

What ISN'T wrong with Origin?

I'm still pissed off about having to use that to play DAO: UE, when I haVE THE FSKING DISCS.  :mad:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Origin is just like Steam. The actual differences between the two, as far as the end user is concerned, are a different UI skin and ....

actually, no and.

EDIT: Strange, my copy of DAO:UE does not require Origin at all.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
I i nearly cried at the scene with the kid mixed with Clints amazing soundtrack.

I thought this point was well done, but to me it felt slightly forced. It serves a literary point, to underline that you as commander shepherd cant do anything for the people on earth, but the "you can't help me" line just seemed unreal. I would think a traumatized kid would either reach out for help or run away from it, not pan out like it did.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
"it's just like steam" is TERRIBLE support.  steam can **** off too.

there is NO reason to force origin on us other than as a vector for ad spam and data mining.  i'm not helping EA do that.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Origin is just like Steam. The actual differences between the two, as far as the end user is concerned, are a different UI skin and ....

actually, no and.

EDIT: Strange, my copy of DAO:UE does not require Origin at all.

It appears to occupy a different and slightly larger space on my hard disk.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story