Author Topic: F*cking Securom....  (Read 13331 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, because my DVD drive is getting old, every single game I own that uses Securom has decided it is not going to accept the original discs are original discs. That adds up to, roughly, 150 gbp of software that is now useless until I pay for a new DVD Drive.

This really irks me, since when did the impetus move to the customer for them to have to replace hardware every 5 years not because it doesn't work, not because it is not capable of supporting the access demands of the software, but because the ****ing DRM doesn't like it for some reason?

Caesar IV, Warhammer Mark of Chaos and a host of other games are, at the moment, nothing more than glorified coasters  :hopping:

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
you can always get nocd files or whatnot, its legal if you own the game.
I hate My signature!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Actually, under the UK Computer Misuse act of 1990, it isn't, but I'm downloading them anyway ;)

Edit: Though, it should be noted that, under the same Act, DRM is, strictly speaking, illegal as well.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:41:38 am by Flipside »

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
well there you go, sue em :D
I hate My signature!

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

It's illegal in The United States to bypass copyright protection via the DMCA.

Offline Solatar

IIRC correctly, Flipside is from the UK.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
YRC, but I don't know where Ashrak is from.

Offline Topgun

It's illegal in The United States to bypass copyright protection via the DMCA.
I Don't recognize the DMCA as a legal authority.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Didn't the Captain of the Bellasarius say pretty much the same thing? ;)

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
I DONT RECOGNIZE ANYTHING AS A LEGAL AUTHORITY! BWAHAHAHAHAHAH-shot-dies-

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Dilmah G is the only authority in THIS system

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins

In that case, the citizens of this system would be wise to question the wisdom of their leader. Helm, engage subspace drive.  :warp:

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

In that case, the citizens of this system would be wise to question the wisdom of their leader. Helm, engage subspace drive.  :warp:

I am soo sigg'ing that

I love Canada. Legal here to crack your own software. Legal here to download music, too.

But yes, I agree, SecuROM blows. It's the main reason I won't buy any games by EA anymore (the other reason being EA doesn't make any games worth buying).

Offline Solatar

I bought EA games before. Then I got SPORE.

...never again...

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Ohh come on!

Doesn't anyone play Sims anymore?

TS3 doesn't look that bad

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Ohh come on!

Doesn't anyone play Sims anymore?

TS3 doesn't look that bad
Frankly, I don't care about their DRM bull**** if it's not my computer. My sister's going to get it. I need to upgrade her computer :doubt: for it. She's got an Athlon 64 2._GHz and a cheap PCCHIPS board with nForce 430a or something--GeForce 6200SE iirc. She'll probably get the cheapest Athlon X2 I can find and my HD3850-256. She has some Antec 400W power supply, so I don't think that'll be a problem. I'll probably resist the urge to sell my new OCZ SXS 500W until I get her computer sorted out.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

And I thought Starforce was bad.

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
Huh... I'm not entirely sure, but I think the last game I bought that had anything to do with EA was Wing Commander Prophecy. How time flies... And I haven't even tried to avoid 'em, either. *Thinking hard* But, as many games as I have, I just HAVE to have some other EA-title in there... Oh well, it's 1600 miles away in any case.
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

And I thought Starforce was bad.
Well, I'd take SecuROM over Starforce.

Just to give people an idea though:

I got FarCry 2, and decided to crack it because I didn't want all the DRM **** on my compy. The FC2 installed exec was 16 megs. The cracked exe with the DRM removed was less than 1.

Another thing too; I mentioned this in the Fallout 3 thread. A problem with that game is frequent CTD's. If you crack it, you experience in the ballpark of sixty percent less crashes, due to no longer running SucuROM. 60% effing percent. That's just ridiculous. When the DRM (and seriously, why can't we just call it "copy protection"? Oh yea, that's illegal) interferes with your lawful use of a purchased good to that extent, I'm sure that's breaking some laws in the CCC and I imagine in some other countries as well. It's complete BS. And the DRM on Fallout was a smidgen compared to what EA and Ubisoft usually use.