Author Topic: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO  (Read 178938 times)

Re: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO
Ah, sorry, didn't test it in-game as it worked with a different effect for me. You should just go ahead and ask for that feature, it should be not too much to code some Warpin Fireball Type in as the work in the fireball tbl has already been done. Also, your project is probably one of the biggest wips on HLP, so I hope somebody will do that. :)

Offline UndyingNephalim

I've run into another possible issue, I've been debugging to get rid of errors and warnings and I've run into something I cant seem to fix, a lot of my models seem to have "inverted bounding boxes" and "null moments of inertia" or in some cases it says the inertia is completely invalid. I've checked all the bounding boxes in PCS2 and they all seem correct. Recalculating Interia does not seem to work, and just copying inertia over only seems to have solved some of the inertia issues. Is there any way to fix inverted bounding boxes and these moment of inertia problems?

Which version of PCS are you using?

Offline UndyingNephalim

Which version of PCS are you using?

I actually think I stumbled on the cause by accident. I've been using a small cube model to encapsulate all of the other parts of the models for LOD's, apparently the parent model at the top of the hierarchy needs to have the largest geometry. Getting rid of the cubes as the parent to all model parts seems to have solved it. Lesson learned  :lol:

Offline UndyingNephalim

Another question time. Can Flak weapons be given a visible projectile? It seems like no matter what I do giving a weapon the flak flag makes the projectiles completely invisible.

EDIT: I'm a dummy, I accidentally deleted the "render flak" flag.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 07:59:50 pm by UndyingNephalim »

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Code: [Select]
$Flags "render flak"
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline UndyingNephalim

Alrighty, probably just a few more questions left. I've been getting an occasional crash related to a subobject rotating:

Code: [Select]
Assert: "pm->submodel[submodel_num].movement_type == MOVEMENT_TYPE_ROT || pm->submodel[submodel_num].movement_type == MOVEMENT_TYPE_INTRINSIC_ROTATE"
File: modelread.cpp
Line: 4873

Any idea why a rotating subobject would cause an inconsistent crash?

Do the subsystems rotate? I remember running into a similar warning when I set up the subsystem data in the pot file (ie $special=subsystem etc) in the wrong way, as they need to be in the correct order too like in tables.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Welp, I think I got the first level finished:

Do the subsystems rotate? I remember running into a similar warning when I set up the subsystem data in the pot file (ie $special=subsystem etc) in the wrong way, as they need to be in the correct order too like in tables.

The order might be wrong, In the meantime I just disabled several of the rotating parts and it seems to have put a bandaide on the problem. I'll try rearranging the subsystem order tomorrow.

If the subsystems rotate it's probably not the problem I had as they refused to do that.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Whoza that looks amazing and super impressive!

:yes: :yes:
You made some background animation showing combat in the background like with the dinosaurs, right?

Offline UndyingNephalim

:yes: :yes:
You made some background animation showing combat in the background like with the dinosaurs, right?

Yup, it's just a looping 24 frame apng attached to a square polygon.  :pimp:

Offline starlord

That is crazy impressive. Could this be used theoretically to, say, simulate a huge Endor like battle in space complete with weapons fire taking place all around your fighter?

Offline UndyingNephalim

That is crazy impressive. Could this be used theoretically to, say, simulate a huge Endor like battle in space complete with weapons fire taking place all around your fighter?

Yes indeed, you'd just need to make sure the objects that use the animated texutre are placed far enough in the distance and that the player can never approach them. Sadly apng's don't seem to work as background bitmaps which would solve the "player stumbling on a giant flat plane in space" problem.

Here's the apng I made and used: 

They're not part of the skyboy?

Offline UndyingNephalim

They're not part of the skyboy?

They could also be assigned as textures to skyboxes, but I do have them appear and vanish (in the case of the dinosaurs they move positions) throughout the mission and they could not do that as a skybox.

There's a set-skybox-model SEXP under "Background" with that you are able to restart animations/moving parts. Perhaps you can experiment with that, on the other hand, it actually works already so you can probably invest your time elsewhere.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
that looks awesome!!!  :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline UndyingNephalim

Another question time: is there a way to convert videos into the format that Freespace 2 cinematics use, like the intro video? Is there also a way to get them to play at the start or end of missions? I realized like a fool I kind of started on rendering cinematics without trying to see if they work in freespace 2 or if it's even possible.  :lol: