Author Topic: How do you create personas, message heads, etc  (Read 2471 times)

How do you create personas, message heads, etc
I have made considerable progress in my campaign, but one thing that is hampering me is that I want to import logos, the message heads that display the person, the persona, and additionally is there a way to get custom names on the ship like what they had in Nexus and the Freespace (I think) or is it impossible with out editing the model? And if people mind how do you create a waypoint. By that manner I mean how do make a person go autopilot and how do you make a autopilot cutscene. And how do you add data in the tech room?
"I served for the Confederation for fifty years, lost many of my buddies, tried for high treason, and all I asked is that do they serve nachos?" Quote from Admiral Tolwyn. Let us remember the man who served the all mighty Confederation for Nachos.

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
    • The Elite, International
Re: How do you create personas, message heads, etc
 :rolleyes: Oh is that all?

#1. Since this is in the Wing Commander Saga forums, I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that you're creating a Wing Commander campaign. It sounds like you're fairly new at this (having read your other posts as well as this one). So I would put aside the idea of adding data to the tech room. For a custom name for a ship, have you tried just typing it in on the ship name block of the ship editor?

#2. Autopilot. I had a lot of problems with autopilot when I first started FREDing. I would try not to worry about cutscenes for a while. Focus on getting basic time compression autopilot to work. I discovered the most important thing to getting autopilot to work was making sure that I had the proper "autopilot not allowed" event in the event editor. Essentially it reads like this

o Autopilot Not Allowed
-Everytime
- -and
- - - <
- - - - distance
- - - - - Alpha 1
- - - - - <any hostile>
- - - key-pressed
- - - - Alt-A
- - key-reset
- - - Alt-A

That's the basic autopilot not allowed script. Also make sure that you have a script adding waypoints as navpoints. These are fairly self explanatory if you explore the autopilot SEXPs at all. Since we're in teaching mode and not walkthrough mode here, I'll encourage you to go figure those out. How much scripting have you been able to do with FRED thus far?
What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural wonder, one of a kind...actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamppost. - Captain Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, M*A*S*H

What I mean the name appears on the ship I MEAN ON THE SHIP MODEL! Not in the HUD for example the Wellington has its name under the entrance to the hanger and its number. What I mean that how do you make the name appear actually on the model. Plus I manage to make text appear in the mission but somewhat not the heads. And for some reason all pilots except for alpha 2 in my mission always have Ninja personality. Any one know how to fix and more importantly how do you import things in the game.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 10:09:46 pm by Lunawolf242 »
"I served for the Confederation for fifty years, lost many of my buddies, tried for high treason, and all I asked is that do they serve nachos?" Quote from Admiral Tolwyn. Let us remember the man who served the all mighty Confederation for Nachos.

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
Comm Animations List

Head-CM3 - "Decoding Starship Transmission"
Head-CM4 - "Incoming Long Range Burst Transmission"
Head-CM5 - "Receiving Secondary Comm Channel"

Head-CP1 - Confed Pilot ambient
Head-CP2 - Confed Pilot battle
Head-CP3 - Confed Pilot Death - used for scripted deaths
Head-CP4 - Confed Pilot 2 ambient (currently not used)

Head-CT1 - Male Animation 1
Head-CT2 - Male Animation 2
Head-CT3 - Male Animation 3
Head-CT4 - Female Animation 1
Head-CT5 - Female Animation 2
Head-CT6 - Female Animation 3

Head-KA1 - Kilrathi Ace 1
Head-KA2 - Kilrathi Ace 1
Head-KA3 - Kilrathi Ace Death - used for scripted comms

Head-KC - kilrathi warship - used for ambient comms

Head-KP1 - Kilrathi pilot 1
Head-KP2 - Kilrathi pilot 2
Head-KP3 - Kilrathi death animation - used for scripted death messages

Head-PP1 - pirate head from Wing Commander 4

Head-STA - "Decoding Ship Transmission" fading to static: used for jamming messages and warship deaths

#Personas

;;Assassin
$Persona: Wingman 01     

;;Ninja
$Persona: Wingman 02

;;Major Baws
$Persona: Wingman 03     

;;Generic Human Pilot Male 1
$Persona: Wingman 04

;;Generic Human Pilot Male 2
$Persona: Wingman 05

;;Avatarr
$Persona: Wingman 06

;;Kilrathi Generic Death 1
$Persona: Wingman 07

;;Kilrathi Generic Death 2
$Persona: Wingman 08

;;Kilrathi Generic Death 3
$Persona: Wingman 09

;;Kilrathi Generic Death 4
$Persona: Wingman 10

Thank Tolwyn for this lovely list.
What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural wonder, one of a kind...actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamppost. - Captain Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, M*A*S*H

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
To add a custom nameplate to a ship you have to make the new nameplate in Photoshop (or similar) and then use the texture replacement system to make the game use the new one you created.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

For CT1-CT6 I cant find them anyone know if they are using a different name or if I need to download those packets or if they are not here at all. This happens for KC, STA, KA2, KA3, CP3. Plus how do make objectives like protecting something always white because it always turn blue.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:06:36 pm by Lunawolf242 »

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
The comm lists aren't all available in the drop down menu, you can also type into the box. :-) I recall going through all of this with Tolwyn... :-P

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes... well... FRED is a bit stupid, when it comes to selecting comm anis :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis