Author Topic: Steam Summer Sale Discussion Thread  (Read 14683 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re: Steam Summer Sale Discussion Thread
So, story DLC is bad but song DLC is good? :P

expanding the base library of music by offering individual songs as add-on dlc makes sense.  there's not a chance in hell they are going to have an original playlist everyone loves, and with the dlc i can pick and pay for only the songs i want.  $3 is a little more expensive than i think it could be, but it's by no means gouging and i've got cash to splurge on something.  might as well make it something at least somewhat productive in helping me learn to play.

chopping up/extending the plot line after the fact is a cash grab strategy.  no, you NEED this $20 dlc or you're not getting the complete game.  publishers can screw off with that crap.  i have no desire to buy my single player games in installments.  i want one single complete product.
I like to stare at the sun.

just cause 2 for £2?

i'm having that
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Patriot

Picked up The Witcher enhanced edition and Supreme Commander 2 :)

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
So far, I've bought both Witcher games, Borderlands 2 and the season pass, Bully: Scholarship Edition, Defiance, GRID, Just Cause 2 (ready for miltiplayer mod shenanigans!), Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, and SoaSE Rebellion.

Damn you, Steam!

EDIT: just added the new Tomb Raider and Demigod.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:28:29 pm by TwentyPercentCooler »

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
    I haven't bought anything.

I don't know why new games don't interest me anymore, I'd rather play my old stuff and force myself to stop lolling and study 3d modelling so I can finish the bloody things I started.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
That gif violates the acceptable ratio of time-spent-watching to enjoyment-received.

Offline Lorric

That gif violates the acceptable ratio of time-spent-watching to enjoyment-received.

:lol:

Agreed. I stopped waiting to see what would happen when I first saw the post :D

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
tomb raider.  i've never played any of them.  i can get them ALL for $17.  should i?

tomb raider.  i've never played any of them.  i can get them ALL for $17.  should i?

I'd say yes. The first reboot series (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld) is really good if you find it hard to stomach the severely dated graphics of I, II, and III. Those're good games, they just look terribly old. Skip IV and VI, V is all right.

And finally, the new reboot of the reboot was quite fun, and very nice looking, just a different feel from everything that came before.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Steam, you bastards, put Skyrim on sale for a significant discount, not this 40% bull****.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
they're trying to get you to buy games you DON'T want :P

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Skyrim is not all that it's cracked up to be.

Unless you're buying it for the text-editor based minigame, that is.  You'll spend a lot of time on that.

Steam, you bastards, put Skyrim on sale for a significant discount, not this 40% bull****.

Pretty much this. Though I'm blaming Bethesda harder than Steam. Oh well, at least we'll have the winter sale.

• Operates at 375 kelvin

Unless you're buying it for the text-editor based minigame, that is.  You'll spend a lot of time on that.

Like Oblivion, and Fallout 3/New Vegas, it only really shines with mods. The unmodded game isn't /bad,/ but when you have access to mods you can tailor it to your personal tastes in RPGs and it really comes alive.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

Like Oblivion, and Fallout 3/New Vegas, it only really shines with mods. The unmodded game isn't /bad,/ but when you have access to mods you can tailor it to your personal tastes in RPGs and it really comes alive.
Hardly; Oblivion was unplayable without mods. Unmodded Skyrim was already superior to a fully-modded Oblivion install.

Which isn't to say there aren't some really cool Skyrim mods out there...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

• Operates at 375 kelvin

Hardly; Oblivion was unplayable without mods. Unmodded Skyrim was already superior to a fully-modded Oblivion install.

Which isn't to say there aren't some really cool Skyrim mods out there...

I didn't really play a whole lot of Oblivion, it never hooked me, so I really don't have much of an opinion about it other than that Bethesda games tend to be better with mods. Either way, I didn't really get into Skyrim until there were a lot of mods out for it. I kind of find the DLC a bit comical. Dragonborn actually added content, but Hearthfire was basically a mod, and Dawnguard...well, my opinion of Dawnguard is that it was a sad attempt to capitalize on the Vampires vs Werewolves crap that Twilight started. Kill it with fire.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
well, my opinion of Dawnguard is that it was a sad attempt to capitalize on the Vampires vs Werewolves crap that Twilight started.
wat

Okay, firstly, where was any "Vampires vs Werewolves" in the Dawnguard questline? Secondly, what.

Seriously, if you think "Vampires vs Werewolves" started in 2005, you were living under a rock...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

My body is not ready.

I held off yesterday, but aarrrgh, I'm giving in.  I at least have to get Surgeon Simulator, because come on, so many lulz.

Surgeon simulator is hilarious. It took me about a day just to get past the start screen.

• Operates at 375 kelvin
well, my opinion of Dawnguard is that it was a sad attempt to capitalize on the Vampires vs Werewolves crap that Twilight started.
wat

Okay, firstly, where was any "Vampires vs Werewolves" in the Dawnguard questline? Secondly, what.

Seriously, if you think "Vampires vs Werewolves" started in 2005, you were living under a rock...

I should have said I felt like it was trying to capitalize on the popular trend, not that it created the idea. Unclear wording; my mistake.

I have an inherently cynical view of DLC. I still remember horse armor.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Vampires and werewolves have been present in TES series since at least Morrowind, possibly earlier (never played Arena or Daggerfall).

Also, the only mod I found necessary for Oblivion was the community unofficial bugfix patch.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]