Author Topic: RELEASE - Tides of Darkness (campaign)  (Read 57278 times)

Re: RELEASE - Tides of Darkness (campaign)
Trust me, this is worth playing. I know :D

Congratulations on the job, Droid!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Good fun, and overall fairly well-constructed, with decent storytelling. Too short, of course, and there's mysterys left for the sequel, but I think I was sold about the time I...

Spoiler:
Well, yes, it's gross overkill and irredeemably cruel and a sign of general bastardy, but using the Yali's STinys on enemy fighters is fun dammit!
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline smurd

Despite the random crashes in Slayer Pt.2 I reported, I finally managed to complete this campaign. I liked it very much, and after watching the final cut scene I hope there will be sequel.

I did however have some more problems with Slayer Pt.2.

Spoiler:
I noticed that sometimes the Demon in that mission attacks Omega 2 and 3 with it's beams quite quickly, destroying both ships instantly. One time, I managed to only save Omega 1, which docked with my destroyer. However, the second salvo that the Lucifer class ship fires sometimes hits exactly the place where Omega 1 docks, destroying it as well. Because Omega 2 and 3 had already been lost, the mission failed in that moment. I don't know if this is intentional, if not you should maybe let the transport dock on the other side of the ship, where it can't be hit.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
* Androgeos Exeunt assures Droid803 that Snail won't kill him because he likes the beam cannons.

Post the link to your Slayer video on YouTube, Droid. I'm sure that those who haven't watched it will like it. ;)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
@NGTM-1R: I'll keep those points in mind when designing further missions, thanks for the feedback :D
@smurd: I'm glad you got it to play. Hm...I might need to script the firing of the Demon's beam so that it won't target the transports so soon. I usually attempt to disarm the front beam as fast as possible.
@Androgeos Exeunt: Updated first post with the video. Thanks for reminding me. I totally forgot I had that, and it was for this very purpose too!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline eliex

Nice vid.  :) :yes:
I'm up to Piercing Gaze and so far I've got to say that the campaign so far is very good. I love the new Shivan ships included.  :D

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
nuclear said this is comparable to ITDoH. I like ITDoH a lot.

* Androgeos Exeunt downloads ToD from FSMods.

I got an extra bonus as well, in that, after lots of folder shifting in my FoW folder, I can now play that mod as well.

:D x energy released by LRABeam = You don't want to know
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:24:51 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
great campaign  :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

can't wait to see how is this going to continue.
el hombre vicio...

I'm glad to see you took some of my suggestions and turned TOD from a great campaign to one that really needs a sequel :yes:
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline PJP

Great campaign.It stinks my Media VPs aren't working.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Anything we can help with?

Offline eliex

A high quality and thoroughly enjoyable campaign. I especially like your loading screens and plot.
Good work and I think a sequel is to come?
 :yes: :yes:

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yes, most of the tables for part 2 are already done. how long it will take depends on just finding the time to FRED it between my other projects. Unfortunately, it means it might take a while.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Nice campaign. I really liked all the new ships. Why is the SC Aamon so shiny though? Seemed very non-shivan. Also as others have said the story could have used a little more explanation. Whered another iceni and stuff come from, and why on earth (or in space) did the shivans and terrans redo the paint on the orions and iceni  :D. I mean they look nice, but I don't get what that would have accomplished for them. Can't wait for the next one, the Negators' ships look really cool, and make us realize how little purple there is in this game.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Wow! Downloading now... :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

[...] why on earth (or in space) did the shivans and terrans redo the paint on the orions and iceni  :D. I mean they look nice, but I don't get what that would have accomplished for them.
Built using Shivan materials and manufacturing techniques, I guess. The few Terrans there haven't set up supplies, shipyards and corresponding infrastructure yet?

Only NOW? :eek:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Only NOW? :eek:

University, INFA and INF SCP drain my time, so...well...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Thanks.. I am downloading it now - can't wait to play it!!!
-- I'll be back before you can say antidisestablishmentarianism...

I finished it. Very good campaign with some interesting ideas.  :yes: Can't wait for the sequel. I loved how you edited most of the tech room database to cover all the backstory. That was a very interesting read. The massive scale of some of the missions was intimidating but it was never a case of BoE syndrome. ei. it was always up to the player to win the battle.

I have to admit that up from mission 2 I played on very easy. I wasn't in the mood for Procyon Insurgency/Blue Planet style repeat  50 times missions. I should probably try re playing sometime on normal.

Highlights:

Spoiler:
Mission 2 where you defend the Ravana. This was the decider that made me choose very easy. The "Dive, dive, dive! Hit your burners..." moment didn't work well for me. It would have helped if the recent builds had voice synthesizer supported. :p I died on the first try and it kept annoying me after each frustrating restart until I switched to very easy. You have to go for the cruisers from the start for the Ravana to survive. But that wing of Scorpions on your tail or a stray anti-fighter beam always nails you while you're at it.

Spoiler:
The mission in the Yali was jaw dropping. Those Stiny beams would toast incoming fighter wings and the subsystems on the Lucy. Along with the super rapid fire 8 gun mount you really felt like flying some experimental ubership.

Spoiler:
I really liked the style of the Terran-shivan hybrid ships. I hope the next chapter is centered around it. Also the new race has me interested. Nightmare ships look best in the nebula.  ;)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I thought they were called...

Spoiler:
...Negators.
My blog

MP-Ryan