Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Released  (Read 14469 times)

Duke Nukem Forever Demo Released
For those of you in the Duke Nukem Forever First Access Club, check your e-mail.  Gearbox should have sent you a code to redeem on Steam.  For those of you who aren't in the club, you'll just have to wait.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Released
it is pretty bad :(

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
it is pretty bad :(

Say it ain't so.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

A while back, I bought the GOTY bundle for Borderlands.  It came with a Duke Nukem Forever demo code that I covet so very dearly--

XRBJT-KTCBX-XRBHT-JTTTT-W6XS6

--Oh....  How'd that get there?  Oh well.  First person to register it is....ummm....twelve.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Guess that makes me twelve. :p Thank you kindly.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Playthrough of the demo recorded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6MjzgTZriw

Doesn't really seem to live up to what I was expecting of DNF.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Well it's only two levels, and the second level is less Classic Duke and more "This is the new stuff we're using," it doesn't really give much to look at other than messing around with some things here and there. It's at least decent enough to see what the rest of it is like.

I say it as such because since UT3 in '07, I haven't been impressed with a single game release since then other than Borderlands, Starcraft 2 and New Vegas.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It just looks lame. Bulletstorm looked better, and I suspect has better gameplay than this.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It just looks lame. Bulletstorm looked better, and I suspect has better gameplay than this.
The way 90% of the projectiles miss the player from five meters is ridiculous. :blah:

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
The gameplay just seems... dull, void of fun. People talk about it needing polishing, but I'd say it needs one more big delay if they have any hope of making this decent. Quick-time events, two-weapon limit, the whole "blood on the sides of the screen" thing when you've taken damage... it's all just more of the same, with the hype of Duke Nukem tagged onto it.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I think I might cancel my pre-order. I'm not sure yet. This demo is the same thing they showed at PAX, and that was months ago. I doubt much has changed, but you never know.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Quick-time events
>implying quicktime events are necessarily bad and are what is ruining this game
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

That...well, didnt remind me of a Duke game. It looked painfully generic. This saddens me. I mean, I didn't really have stellar expectations of the game in the first place, but still. :(

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Quick-time events
>implying quicktime events are necessarily bad and are what is ruining this game
Not implied.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Say it ain't so.

hey man the e3 2001 trailer looked awesome

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The gameplay just seems... dull, void of fun. People talk about it needing polishing, but I'd say it needs one more big delay if they have any hope of making this decent. Quick-time events, two-weapon limit, the whole "blood on the sides of the screen" thing when you've taken damage... it's all just more of the same, with the hype of Duke Nukem tagged onto it.

Duke Nukem was always generic. Back in the day the original was a slightly improved version of doom.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's a game that is never destined to live up to the promised amount of awesome. It might help not to think of it as a game that took 12 years to develop, but a game written in 8 months from a tech-demo that was slightly past it's best date.

Offline Kosh

It's a game that is never destined to live up to the promised amount of awesome. It might help not to think of it as a game that took 12 years to develop, but a game written in 8 months from a tech-demo that was slightly past it's best date.

After viewing The Cynical Brit's youtube review I do agree with his overall assessment: Fun but several gameplay mechanics seriously should have been less like Halo and more like the original.

Personally I feel there was no reason for it to not have been released ten years ago, but 3D Realms screwed up. The game is famous before it was released, but for all the wrong reasons.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Honestly, in the long run, I'm not looking for it to be any sort of special experience gameplay-wise, and I don't give much of a fig if it comes across as "generic."  I'm planning to buy it at some point (though not for full price) just for the simple fact that it's Duke Nukem Forever.  It's pretty much the holy grail of vaporware, a running gag for the better part of a decade...and yet here it is, sitting on store shelves.  It's a part of gaming history, and I feel I owe it to myself to get the thing.

Plus, there's all of the fantastically-immature jokes and general Dukeness.  That's good too. :D

Offline Kosh

Honestly, in the long run, I'm not looking for it to be any sort of special experience gameplay-wise, and I don't give much of a fig if it comes across as "generic."  I'm planning to buy it at some point (though not for full price) just for the simple fact that it's Duke Nukem Forever.  It's pretty much the holy grail of vaporware, a running gag for the better part of a decade...and yet here it is, sitting on store shelves.  It's a part of gaming history, and I feel I owe it to myself to get the thing.

Plus, there's all of the fantastically-immature jokes and general Dukeness.  That's good too. :D

So now does the vaporware crown go to Blackwater Operations or Machina Terra? :P

Brain I/O error