Author Topic: RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge *Updated Jan 18th 2014! MediaVP 2014 support!*  (Read 132773 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge
Also the most innovative campaign as of yet; in-system player jumps...freaking awesome.

hey some of us have done that but BETTER  :nervous:

yeah that's right axem, suck it

(unless...did he end up putting in set-mission-subspace? I bet he DIDN'T ha ha ha)

Spoiler:
Personally the biggest wow moment for me was the EVA suit mission.
Well, Axem's in-mission jumps were a big part of the mission...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Oh I'm just being silly. That was an awesome and terribly unique mission.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Oh I'm just being silly. That was an awesome and terribly unique mission.
You're always being silly.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
How did you pull those off, Axem?  I can probably think of a workaround, but it'd no doubt be much less elegant than whatever solution you came up with.

Spoiler:
I'd have said a no-warp-effect Nav buoy that 'warps' at player coordinates and immediately warps out again with warp effect, the player speed is slowed, cue brief white-out and change coordinates.  Other ships would have a half dozen duplicates with invisible characters, and would jump in after Alpha 1 'jumped'.

I noticed that when I started a jump before a ship finished its message, it was still outlined from ~84 km away.  Clever. :drevil:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
How did you pull those off, Axem?  I can probably think of a workaround, but it'd no doubt be much less elegant than whatever solution you came up with.

Spoiler:
I'd have said a no-warp-effect Nav buoy that 'warps' at player coordinates and immediately warps out again with warp effect, the player speed is slowed, cue brief white-out and change coordinates.  Other ships would have a half dozen duplicates with invisible characters, and would jump in after Alpha 1 'jumped'.

I noticed that when I started a jump before a ship finished its message, it was still outlined from ~84 km away.  Clever. :drevil:

Interesting approach, but unnecessary. No need for the nav buoy, just use create-warp-effect. No need for the duplicate ships, just use set-object-position.

Not knowing exactly how it works, I thought it was a variation on the autopilot SEXP, plus a change of skybox.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Not knowing exactly how it works, I thought it was a variation on the autopilot SEXP, plus a change of skybox.

Nope. I will try to post a tutorial in the near future, it's a handy trick.

Reviewing my above reply to Scotty I actually think multiple duplicate ships might be easier, plus copy-damage...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Huh, I didn't know about create-warp-effect.

But how did he get the ships coming out of the warp instead of appearing halfway through with coordinate manipulation.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The only ship you would have to do fancy sexping for would be the players, everyone else can have copies warped in that had copy-damage applied to them.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Axem

Yeah. I only did copies of the capital ships. Warp-effect + set position wouldn't work for them because they need to pick up speed and they wouldn't vanish into the effect.

If you look in the mission in FRED, you will find ships called Cretheus#1, Cretheus #2, Cretheus#3. Anything after the # will be ignored by the game, so you can use that to keep track of ships in FRED. So just after I told them to warp out, I used the copy-ship-damage sexp to the next ship that would be coming out in a few seconds.

With fighters though, I just set position behind the player. You won't see them warp, but I figure you wouldn't notice anyway. Wait, now you will! Noooo...

Battuta: I could've used the subspace sexp but I figure you're jumping 50 to 80 klicks so your trip inside subspace would be a few milliseconds. Hardly enough time to notice it. Your own implementation was a much longer distance, so I could understand the use of it there. :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
With fighters though, I just set position behind the player. You won't see them warp, but I figure you wouldn't notice anyway. Wait, now you will! Noooo...

Problem with that is if the player's on external view.  :nervous:

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

Problem with that is if the player's on external view.  :nervous:

Only if the player zoomes really far out ( which the player shouldn't do) and/or if the ships are too close to the player
( which the FREDer shouldn't do).

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I just completed this, and...well...wow.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around everything I just saw, but what I do know is that this was a masterstroke.  There were elements in here that I didn't even know the engine was capable of handling.  The soundtrack utilization was nothing short of genius, and the introduction of that style added an atmosphere to the campaign that I've never experienced before.  The missions were insanely varied for such a short campaign, often challenging but never outright unfair.  And the implications raised by the story are something I'll be chewing on for a long time.  I'm fairly sure that I didn't get the "true" ending the first time around, so I'm going back to read all that spoilered text and find out exactly how to get there, since I want to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes.  Really, really awesome stuff. :)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Finished this, and I want to see more. :D

Offline CKid

Spoiler:
So, I'm on my second run through the campaign but this time, I run into a hiccup. The first time I play the second last mission I 'm shot down and I continue to the last mission. The second time however, I let myself get toasted by the supernova but instead of going to the last mission, I get that pop up asking me to select Quick start, return to briefing or return to main menu. I am guessing that was not suppose to happen.

Anyways, I thought I would also like to say that this campaign is made of pure win. Thank you Axem!
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Axem

CKid: Glad you liked it. :) Looks like you stumbled onto a bug I may have introduced near the end by accident. Guess I'll have to uh... fix it.  :sigh:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Spoiler:
So, I'm on my second run through the campaign but this time, I run into a hiccup. The first time I play the second last mission I 'm shot down and I continue to the last mission. The second time however, I let myself get toasted by the supernova but instead of going to the last mission, I get that pop up asking me to select Quick start, return to briefing or return to main menu. I am guessing that was not suppose to happen.
I was killed in the opposite order. :P
And the same thing happened, oppositely.

Offline CKid

CKid: Glad you liked it. :) Looks like you stumbled onto a bug I may have introduced near the end by accident. Guess I'll have to uh... fix it.  :sigh:

I am just glad that I never got that bug the first time because that would have just completely killed the mood.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Incredible, awesome.

Good campaign, really good :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

I am just glad that I never got that bug the first time because that would have just completely killed the mood.
Heh, I did run into that, though it was mainly because of my own stupidity...I sort of mistimed my jump. :p It didn't really kill the mood, though, since I was all the more anxious during my next play-through wondering how things were going to end.